• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Chevron reticles

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I have never even looked through a chevron reticle but I imagine that I wouldn't like it.

I have to get a new ACOG and the one I want does not have regular old crosshairs.

What is the deal with the Chevron? What does it do for you? Should I change my attitude? What am I missing?

Re: Chevron reticles

The chevron reticle allows you to make precise hits at long range using the tip of the chevron and quick hits up close by placing the entire chevron center mass, somewhat like a red dot. What weapon platform will you be putting this on?

Either an AR10 or FAL in 7.62, will be purchasing simultaneously.

Why is that better than a crosshair, if that is the right question. Just wondering if it is a Ford Chevy thing or if it offers something substantially different.

ogonzales, we joined at practically the same time and post at a nearly identical rate. Weird.

Will this be a duty rifle? I dont understand why you "have to get an ACOG"? What model are you looking at? As you know standard cross hairs are great but depending on the application ACOGS can be a very nice substitute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ogonzales, we joined at practically the same time and post at a nearly identical rate. Weird.</div></div> We also think alike, as I was just telling myself the same thing.

Ah, not in the military, looking for a DM type weapon in 7.62 (AR10 or a DS Arms FAL) , I "have to get an ACOG" in the sense that is my preferred scope design.

Use is home defense, backwoods critter defense, hog hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The chevron reticle allows you to make precise hits at long range using the tip of the chevron </div></div>

False (in the case of an ACOG).

You zero with the tip of the chevron, at ranges beyond zero the tip of the chevron means nothing.

Good luck

Well then, there are alot of factors you must consider before buying an ACOG. What distance are you most likely to encounter these backwoods critters, 4 legged hogs, and two legged hogs? By the way, I would consider a different Rifle and caliber for home defense as over penetration could be an issue. What Magnification r u looking into? Basically if this wll be a close in gun I would opt for a red dot. That being said, ACOGS are designed to be shot with both eyes open so you can still quickly aquire up close targets with the fixed magnification. I think for the purposes you stated an ACOG will fit the bill nicely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The chevron reticle allows you to make precise hits at long range using the tip of the chevron </div></div>

False (in the case of an ACOG).

You zero with the tip of the chevron, at ranges beyond zero the tip of the chevron means nothing.

I guess I should have said longish range, like 100 yards. But you are correct. The tip of the chevron allows for a more precise aiming point to place your shot.

Good luck</div></div>

If you prefer a standard reticle, you have two options. The ACOG TA-01B is calibrated for .308 and has a standard reticle. Good scope, ACOG tough, but not really fast at all at close ranges and really needs a red dot riding piggyback on top for that capability. The cost gets up there when you are done.

Otherwise, why not a 1-4x like the Vortex PST or the SWFA SS? That is where I'd be looking for the real flexibility of application you're looking for, and at a much lower cost.

Chevron reticles in the other ACOGs work well for quick shots, but precision is hampered in comparison to a standard reticle. Possible, but hampered.

Chevron and donuts allow for the BAC to work well, the crosshairs of the NSN do not.

I prefer a quality 1-4 optic over an ACOG. If I were patrolling in some shithole on a two way range my opinion might be different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well then, there are alot of factors you must consider before buying an ACOG. What distance are you most likely to encounter these backwoods critters, 4 legged hogs, and two legged hogs? By the way, I would consider a different Rifle and caliber for home defense as over penetration could be an issue. What Magnification r u looking into? Basically if this wll be a close in gun I would opt for a red dot. That being said, ACOGS are designed to be shot with both eyes open so you can still quickly aquire up close targets with the fixed magnification. I think for the purposes you stated an ACOG will fit the bill nicely. </div></div>
I live out in the boonies, so overpenetration is really not a problem. But then again, home defense isn't a problem either. Boy Scouts said be prepared though.

I love the ACOG for what you say, quick acquisition plus the one I have I can use over 200 yards for LR precision, no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you prefer a standard reticle, you have two options. The ACOG TA-01B is calibrated for .308 and has a standard reticle. Good scope, ACOG tough, but not really fast at all at close ranges and really needs a red dot riding piggyback on top for that capability. The cost gets up there when you are done.

Otherwise, why not a 1-4x like the Vortex PST or the SWFA SS? That is where I'd be looking for the real flexibility of application you're looking for, and at a much lower cost.

Chevron reticles in the other ACOGs work well for quick shots, but precision is hampered in comparison to a standard reticle. Possible, but hampered. </div></div>
Well I think that TA1B has 1.5 inches eye relief, for 308 I want at least 2 inches, by my reckoning I have to go with Chevron. The other scopes you mention would not be first choice, I love the quicker target acq with the ACOG, LOVE IT, leave regular scopes to prone take your time shooting. You scare out a hog real quick, wanna see it real quick.

I also run the red dot with my current ACOG setup, would plan on doing the same. The Ferrari of shooting setups, worth every penny. Love it.

Yes, the short eye relief is an issue with the .308, especially when not braked. I've tapped my shooting glasses more than once with the eyepiece and was glad it wasn't my own scope, but I don't know of any other standard reticle ACOG with a .308 BDC. I do like the TA-11 series though as they have a lot more give.

I run an NSN with a Doctor on top on my AR15 at home, and while it's good, I'm looking to replace it with next trip home. The shifting stock weld between the two sights drives me nuts and is not as fast or consistent as I would prefer. I definitely wouldn't call it a Ferrari, but I'm glad it works for you.

If I have the same experience with the SS 1-4x as some of the reports and reviews I've been reading, my ACOG will be going into retirement and the Doctor will find a new home on the .308.

Best of luck and hopefully you enjoy the chevron.

The chevron holds great power, for those who know the knowledge.

- Tip of chevron: POA at 100m
- Inside corners of chevron = shoulder width of a human at 200m
- Outside side corners of chevron = shoulder width of a human at 300m
- Tip of the "spear" (small illuminated portion of the post): POA at 300m

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the short eye relief is an issue with the .308, especially when not braked. I've tapped my shooting glasses more than once with the eyepiece and was glad it wasn't my own scope, but I don't know of any other standard reticle ACOG with a .308 BDC. I do like the TA-11 series though as they have a lot more give.

I run an NSN with a Doctor on top on my AR15 at home, and while it's good, I'm looking to replace it with next trip home. The shifting stock weld between the two sights drives me nuts and is not as fast or consistent as I would prefer. I definitely wouldn't call it a Ferrari, but I'm glad it works for you.

If I have the same experience with the SS 1-4x as some of the reports and reviews I've been reading, my ACOG will be going into retirement and the Doctor will find a new home on the .308.

Best of luck and hopefully you enjoy the chevron. </div></div>
I'm definitely not battle hardened like yourself, never seen combat, so I imagine my tolerance for taking time transitioning between the two doesn't reflect everyone's reality.

It seems like so far, if you want any type of magnification for an easy acq optic some kind of compromises are going to be made.

For the ACOG it is clearly the shifting between sights. Which doesn't bother me a bit.

Love that ACOG, thank you Trij.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The chevron holds great power, for those who know the knowledge.

- Tip of chevron: POA at 100m
- Inside corners of chevron = shoulder width of a human at 200m
- Outside side corners of chevron = shoulder width of a human at 300m
- Tip of the "spear" (small illuminated portion of the post): POA at 300m </div></div>
That's interesting. Thanks.

If you plan to use night vision, I personally like the green verse the red. Less halo but you can tape the element on the red with electrical tape and dull it down. If you use a 14 or some other night vision; the crosshairs are a really good choice.

I bought a USO 1-4 with a circle&chevron reticle. If fedex ever finds it I will let you know how handy the reticle is....been really curious myself.
smile.gif

USO's circle/chevron is much different than an ACOG's subtensions (not a BDC reticle). If it turns up you cna hit me up, I've got the reticle's info around here somewhere. Sorry to hear about the shipping debacle.

To expand on what Dangadan said. You can use it for range estimation and yet it is thick enough for your eye to pick up on quickly at short range. For short range you want something thick you can just roughly slap over the target. Being that it is "open" at the bottom you can hold over and still see your target as it will be surrounded by the "legs". On the 1x sights the geometry of the chevron also gives you a rough idea where to hold over when using at long range.