• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chewed Bolt

valentin_84

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Arizona
I went shooting the other day and noticed the bolt is a little chewed up where the handle connects to it. The rifle is a Remington 700 XCR in .308 and it's my first bolt gun so I don't have a clue about what's goin on. I've attached a picture and hope you guys can make it out (cell pic). I appreciate any advice on what to do.
confused.gif

2010-07-27_063957.jpg

Re: Chewed Bolt

That is very common on 700's. Are you shooting hand loads that are hard to extract?

What you are seeing is the result of the extraction angles not making full contact and causing the deformation where they contact each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is always a good idea to put a little dab of grease on the primary extraction cam. (Your picture)</div></div>

I'll make sure to do that. Thanks Bro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is very common on 700's. Are you shooting hand loads that are hard to extract?</div></div>

I just finished up a 200 pack of some crappy brown bear 308 I was given. I figured I could just shoot it up to learn the basics on it. Like I mentioned, this is my first bolt gun...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you are seeing is the result of the extraction angles not making full contact and causing the deformation where they contact each other.</div></div>

Can you dumb that down a little for me? Sorry...

The two angles, the one on the bolt and the angle that it hits on the action when you raise the bolt handle are what pulls the case out of the chamber. If they don't make full contact, it leaves a mark like what you see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two angles, the one on the bolt and the angle that it hits on the action when you raise the bolt handle are what pulls the case out of the chamber. If they don't make full contact, it leaves a mark like what you see.</div></div>

So do the marks come from when the round is shot, when the bolt is locked, or when the bolt is opened?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the bolt is opened.</div></div>

Oh ok. So what can I do to make sure I don't keep eating at it? Will the damage already made effect anything?

Not much you can do at this point. Put some grease on it and keep shooting. As long as it still extracts then you should be fine. Avoid shooting ammo that is hard to extract.

Can't see your pic that good, but as said, that is common on m700 bolts.

I have had a few 700's do it. Including a 700 donor action that was purchased new and never fired outside of the factory.

There is a fix for it...

IMG_5145.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a few 700's do it. Including a 700 donor action that was purchased new and never fired outside of the factory.

There is a fix for it...</div></div>

And what exactly would that FIX be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valentin_84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a few 700's do it. Including a 700 donor action that was purchased new and never fired outside of the factory.

There is a fix for it...</div></div>

And what exactly would that FIX be? </div></div>

Get a PTG bolt (or just the bolt handle) and have it properly timed to your action by a competent gunsmith.

Josh

If this is what you're seeing this is normal with Remington’s. The action is harder then the bolt handle so it will get this slight deformation due to caming upon opening the bolt. It will occur to a point then stop. If the rifle extracting and ejection like it should don't worry about it and march on.

Yes you could have a new handle TIG welded on to add more cam angle but if you must do this then wait until the rifle needs a new barrel and have it done at the same time the receiver is trued.

This in itself is not a sign of an un-timed bolt.

IMG_1045.jpg

If its causing an issue or when you decide to build on it I'd send it to Nathan Dagley and let me match a PTG bolt handel to the action , this is don't to a very very close fit so that the extraction cam angles mate evenly and spreads the load over a larger area (reducing lift effort) , the bolt handel will be properly fitted , timed and tig welded in place.

check out his web site , he has some videos explaining bolt timing
http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=ssgcustomrifles&page=1