• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheytac

Shelly

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
NJ
Anyone know what happened to CHEYTAC...?
Phones are not in service, no reply to email..???

Re: Cheytac

I know several people that have tried to contact Cheytac here lately and either the phone just rings and rings or the line has been disconnected. I too have heard that Cheytac is currently going through bankruptcy and maybe going completely out of business. At this point, it's all speculation. Only time will tell.

I also have also tried to get in touch with them. I had a guy send me his M200 for a check up recently ,he had also tried to talk with them, but no luck.

Hopefully this doesn't affect Jamison - they're making great brass and solids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully this doesn't affect Jamison - they're making great brass and solids.</div></div>
I think there is a much bigger market for good bullets than for a $20K plus rifle with ABC computer and a horrible customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully this doesn't affect Jamison - they're making great brass and solids.</div></div>
I think there is a much bigger market for good bullets than for a $20K plus rifle with ABC computer and a horrible customer service. </div></div>

Before I knew nothing, all I had heard of was those guys. I emailed them to purchase a rifle and didn't get crap back. A buddy of mine wanted to take one of their courses and finally got a hold of someone and when we went to take their course he was the only one in it. He couldn't figure how they were going to stay in business with the way they handled things!!

and that was a edm 50bmg with his new bipod system, if you know dale I don't think you'll ever se him shoot a cheytac anything lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and that was a edm 50bmg with his new bipod system, if you know dale I don't think you'll ever se him shoot a cheytac anything lol.</div></div>

LMAO and you don't have to know him very well to know that.

The Cheytac platform (Windrunner)was built for them by Bill Ritchie of EDM Arms. He still has a factory in Southern California but also opened one in Utah. I believe he has teamed up with Thor Industries. Bill builds an outstanding weapon. I think it comes in a single shot or repeater. Calibers from .308, .338, .408, .510DTC, or .50 BMG. Check him out. And I do believe some of the earlier posts that Cheytac went tits up.

Cheytac is done,via the real guys who build there rigs. They only added a big $ figure on top. But I am sure I could get as many as you guys want at a much less price tag.

The CheyTac website is still up at:

http://www.cheytac.com/

If not returning calls or emails to customers, it appears to be nearly over. While have not seen a formal announcement yet. And we may never see the CheyTac top management put nails in their own coffin.

Several people at the top have moved on and are doing other things. From the outside looking in CheyTac is coming apart at the seams. Possibly due to personalities. Political infighting seems to be more than the original team could take. Or maybe a few at the top already got to retire so do not care about new business anymore when set for life.

It seems CheyTac is not spending on R&D anymore, when R&D is how to stay the best. In the early days at Intel we spent half of our income on R&D and it was needed to stay ahead of copy cats.

Dave used to work at CheyTac and now is doing his own thing, the 375 VM, that may take the original CheyTac idea one step further and turn out to be better. More info is at Dave's webpage, click on 375 VM at the top:

http://www.viersco.com/

Dave, viersco here on the hide, also speaks of a conversation he had with Mr Jensen where they did not agree about the 375 being better than the 408 at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1817224

Another who was key to CheyTac, a member and the owner of the original 408 shooting team, is not shooting CheyTac-flavor chambered rifles these days instead seems to be doing well with a 338 Lapua Magnum:

http://longrangeshooter.com/forums/index.php?topic=215.0

IMHO it appears he is trying to undermine the company somehow in the above post.

People with first hand information from working inside CheyTac could possibly better share what really happened.

Have heard while not confirmed CheyTac / Jamison did win and put military contract(s) in place. If so my guess is they will continue to be around to help existing customers service CheyTac rifles for a long time. The military contracts I have been a part of are usually written for 20-30+ years of business as governments with critical needed supplies do not want to buy from someone who goes under - so often the contract will have some sort of 20-30+ year clause with 'second source' options to guarantee long-term supply before committing. The CheyTac focus seems to be shifting to Jamison, the 'second source' - Jamison probably already knows what they are going to make for the coming decades so will continue to be around with minimal guaranteed income for the someone(s) involved.

Feel the original CheyTac idea is still solid even if the company who created it has made some mistakes. For example, linking a computer to the firing system not only adds to expense it limits portability and probably fails in real world weather situations. Surveyors are just now figuring out how to make electronics that don't fail in the field as often - and most surveyors have a backup in the crummy for weather days when the electronics are not working. Someone is going to pick it up and run with it, probably won't have a computer as a mandatory part of the shooting system, and will earn the right to call their creation a name they pick.

The CT 375-flavors fly better than the 408 CT-flavors. While 375 systems are still being perfected in the R&D stages, so in time we will see if 375 or another flies better than 338 rifle flavors. For those who start new custom rifle projects the 338/408 is a great combination to consider, while watch for further CT-flavor rifle developments to switch barrels if later desire to.

I have a new 338/408CT I have not shot yet really looking forward to it soon. PG

The Thor rifle is not an update to the M200. If anything it's EDM's XM04 with the bipod extension.

Werent they still making payments to Bill over at EDM arms for using the .408 cheytac rifle design.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Werent they still making payments to Bill over at EDM arms for using the .408 cheytac rifle design.?</div></div>
The bad blood would fill a swimming pool......

Too bad,
i enjoyed my time down at their ELR course. Hopefully the cartridge continues, (one can only shoot so many .50 AMAX's in a day
cool.gif
).

I thought I heard something about a .375 Chey tac? Is that just the .408 necked down to .375? Do they have commercial dies for reloading? Does someone actually make the weapon? (I thought I saw that "Noreen ULR Rifles" makes them) Have one of you guys tried one? So many questions!
blush.gif

The M200s are pretty much gone, but there are plenty of .408-based rifles out there. In fact, you can get an XM04 from EDM Arms and an M200-like bipod assembly from RND and pretty much have an M200 (minus the Lawton barrel & brake).

The .375 Cheytac is a necked down version of the .408, which is currently the king of the hill. Plenty of people on this forum have and/or shot these rifles and calibers - it's no mystery.

Thank god the design works, everything that company did, sucked. The real guys who put together the rigs are fixing the bad assembly by Cheytac employees. If you guys want one I can get them from the source and with your name on it, not Cheytac or Thor! Like $6500. This is not some new company. The machine shop that did there design.I stand to make a few hundred bucks, thats it. I am just tired of people getting hosed by over priced goods.Pm me if you are serious on getting one and will get back to you a.s.a.p. I can even have them do any color available you can think of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notyers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank god the design works, everything that company did, sucked. The real guys who put together the rigs are fixing the bad assembly by Cheytac employees. If you guys want one I can get them from the source and with your name on it, not Cheytac or Thor! Like $6500. </div></div>
I'm really interested! Send me a PM with the particulars. Looking for the .375 with all the bells and whistles.