• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chinese made knockoff gear is great...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
<span style="font-weight: bold">...IF YOU WANT TO LOSE ALL YOUR SH*T WHEN IT FALLS APART!
</span>

To anyone thinking of saving a few bucks buy chinese knockoff gear....

I took some pics of my Maxpedition backpack (USA) this morning to post for another thread.

pack1.jpg

pack2.jpg

Looks great yeah? Well I was looking at the Admin Pouch (Made in China that I bought cheap at the local Army/Navy) and noticed a rip in the bottom seam of the pouch that holds my tools ( hex wrenches, screwdrivers and $100 Leatherman!) well when I looked in it the Leatheman was gone! Fell out!

pack8rip.jpg

pack10rip.jpg

pack9rip.jpg

pack11rip.jpg

POS!! I will never buy a knock off of anything, you never know what it may be carrying. Fortunately I found the Leatherman in the garage where I store my gear. I'm hoping that it didn't drop any other stuff I may have forgotten about.

Please don't buy knockoffs. They will cost much more in the end

Re: Chinese made knockoff gear is great...

glad you found your stuff man. i was thinking somewhere Sung Li or Ling Mai was gonna have to cough up a leatherman. dont trash the whole thing though, take that to a seamstress or to someone that can sew. get that fixed, inspect the rest. sucks to have to do it, but that way you wont get totally hosed.

I like to buy the best quality stuff there is.

But unfortunately sometimes even the best made stuff is made on a friday at 4:55, and whoever is making it just doesnt feel like being there any longer that week.

I remember back when you could look at car codes and figure out which day it came off the line and remembering my dad saying that you never wanted a monday or friday car. I never understood what he meant by that but as I got older I figured it out. Sometimes shit made with the best materials and the best makers fails due to being made on a monday or friday when someones thoughts werent all there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad you found your stuff man. i was thinking somewhere Sung Li or Ling Mai was gonna have to cough up a leatherman. dont trash the whole thing though, take that to a seamstress or to someone that can sew. get that fixed, inspect the rest. sucks to have to do it, but that way you wont get totally hosed. </div></div>

Axe- that POS pouch is going in the trash, the nylon has gotten brittle and weak. It's only cost 12 dollah. I'm going to replace it with something similar made by Eagle or Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for buying an American made pack, send me the pouch, I will fix it for free. </div></div>

Thats mighty white of you Mr Nick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for buying an American made pack, send me the pouch, I will fix it for free. </div></div>

Thanks but it's already in the garbage...

i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters.

But once cry once! Least you found your stuff though. Let the airsofters have at it w/ the knock offs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

None of that gear is American made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

None of that gear is American made. </div></div>

HGWT speaks the truth...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

LMAO atleast 5.11 isnt knockoff gear, condor on the other hand....

the condor junk is at least decently made though, I have a couple and not had any issues. This is just for my personal fun use though, I would not take it off to war.

YMMMV: if you use it alot, for work, or simply want it to be the last one you ever buy... get a US made one.

I have never had any success with the import stuff. At the very least, the stiching always comes loose.
mad.gif
Most of the time, if not all of the time, you get what you pay for. I stopped buying anything made in china several years ago. Even if it is a quality brand, if its made in china, I will not buy it. I have had to put alot of things back on the shelf in the store.

He is Canadian, I am sure he really doesnt give two shits if its American made or not LOL.

Maybe we could start a list of suppliers of USA made gear?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe we could start a list of suppliers of USA made gear? </div></div>

That's a great idea, and should be a sticky. The list would be surprisingly short. Dominican Republicdont count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

He is Canadian, I am sure he really doesnt give two shits if its American made or not LOL. </div></div>

Allow me to retort:

None of that gear is made in North America.

I learned my leason at a fighting rifle class. I bought an OSOE frog chest rig that cost me a pretty penny. When I got to the class there was a guy I knew from the range with almost the same chest rig. He asked me how much I paid for it and told me he had gotten his at a local airsoft shop for a fraction of the cost as well as his aimpoint. While getting his rifle sighted in his dot would move after every shot. During a drill which required running and reloading his Chinese Frog opened up and all his mags ended up on the floor. My stuff ran fine and is still running great five years later.

just as an FYI...

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/about-us.aspx

2009 - USA production line addition, capable of producing Made IN USA products.
usa.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supa_Fly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

just as an FYI...

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/about-us.aspx

2009 - USA production line addition, capable of producing Made IN USA products.
usa.jpg
</div></div>

That's great to know, I can completely understand the needs to have some things produced offshore, but glad to see companies still making high end gear in house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">capable</span> of producing Made IN USA products</div></div>

Bet its only if they get a large order that has to be Berry Compliant.

I always contacted the supplier I was buying my gear from on teh phone and made sure my stuff was USA all the way. This deploying Soldier was extremely suprised by a few of these places when a killer discount was offered and even more suprised when the box contained some stuff to share with teh squad or platoon.
To list would be short since There were only two places I went to to get what I needed.
TIS
Spec Ops Brand

I knew TIS was USA made in Oaktown, Nor-Cal, but I knew squat about Spec Ops Brand. That company makes good kit here in teh US. It is SOldier(former) owned and operated, and every item is combat tested after extreme field testing before it comes to market. Each and every piece of kit I bought from them has only shown a little fade after OEF VII but is still very servicable. Too bad I have a shitload of equipment in plastic tubs that is just sitting these days. I guess it all retired like me

well i never said i bought american gear. i just dont buy ebay stuff from china. its hard to get quality gear in canada from an american supplier cause they dont like to ship to canada. at least not all of them. condor and 5.11 gear came from an american supplier as well as my larue and sog knives. it would be nice to get gear from american made companies all the time but its not that easy.

Maxpedition is made in Taiwan...good/solid gear though.

I usually stick to Eagle Industries, tactical Tailor, Blue Force Gear ,spec Ops brand ,Specter and ATS Tactical.

only exceptions: maxpedition and emdom.

I try and support the USA made companies as much as I can but really if the QA is good I'm not really concerned about it. I use 5.11 and blackhawk gear not made in the US but still its good stuff. It hasn't gone to war like I'm sure most of your guys stuff has however running and gunning hunting and hiking has never given me any problems and I have some stuff that's a few years old. also tac force is pretty good. Only complaint about the vest I have is the hydration hangers in the back. but it works good when the tornadoes and floods come in so I'm not complaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maxpedition is made in Taiwan...good/solid gear though.

I usually stick to Eagle Industries, tactical Tailor, Blue Force Gear ,spec Ops brand ,Specter and ATS Tactical.

only exceptions: maxpedition and emdom. </div></div>

Oh damn, you know I wondered about Maxpedition... they do make good gear tho. My primary gear is all eagle and some tac-tailor. I guess I should look more into where I get my kit from.

china doesn't make anything good that I know of. gawd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

LMAO atleast 5.11 isnt knockoff gear, condor on the other hand.... </div></div>

What exactly does 5.11 make that is original?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltaghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i agree with M45. I have bought my fair share of chinese junk and although i have never lost anything it always falls apart. I currently run a condor chest rig with 5.11 pouches and for a daily go bag a 5.11 select carry. I will never go back to knock off and have sold my crap to airsofters. </div></div>

LMAO atleast 5.11 isnt knockoff gear, condor on the other hand.... </div></div>

What exactly does 5.11 make that is original? </div></div>

So your telling me that 5.11 copys other brands design, doubt it. They make quality shit that are well priced, they may be made in a foreign country, but they are not chinese airsoft knockoff gear.

They make I-phones and I-pods, they are pretty nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maxpedition is made in Taiwan...good/solid gear though.

Oh damn, you know I wondered about Maxpedition... they do make good gear tho. My primary gear is all eagle and some tac-tailor. I guess I should look more into where I get my kit from.

</div></div>

don't get me wrong, Maxpedition and Emdom make good solid gear, just made in Taiwan and the quality/QC is MUCH better than made in china.

FWIW,

Web Gear MFG is a prime example of what happens when labor costs get as far out of balance as they currently are.
Quality stitching is not easy to do and takes more time than you think.

Unfortunately, off shore assembly line techniques lend themselves nicely to cheap mass production of these items in particular.
The problems creep in when the appropriate procedures and QA is left to slide by a company that only cares about the number of pieces that it ships.

These types of products are also more susceptible to these quality issues as they are used.
A good example of this is a school kid's backpack.
A cheap one at Wal-Mart may last 4-6 months of daily use.
A quality backpack will easily last a year or two of hard use.

Bottom line, the good stuff costs more.
A chest rig from London Bridge Trading Company made in VA Beach costs about $269.
A similar chest rig made by Condor costs about $79.
You can also bet that when you buy from these higher end companies such as Nick @ GRT, LBT, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, etc, you will get top notch customer service.

Buy once, Cry once...
If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maxpedition is made in Taiwan...good/solid gear though.

</div></div>

don't get me wrong, Maxpedition and Emdom make good solid gear, just made in Taiwan and the quality/QC is MUCH better than made in china. </div></div>

Yeah I agree. The point of my original post is more about the knockoff gear being cheaply made. Of course I'd rather buy American when I can, if I do buy gear that's made other places, I'd like to know that it's still a quality product. Truth is the chinese make lots of things that work well which increases the quality of our lives. If you boil it down, this is a 'you get what you pay for' scenario. I paid little for the cheap pouch and got little for the cheap pouch.

Now I need to go order an Eagle replacement. (maybe it's time for an upgrade on the pack too)

some of my eagle packs are over 10 years old and still going strong ! plus Eagle lifetime warranty is unbeatable. They repaired one of my drag bag for free 2 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">china doesn't make anything good that I know of. gawd </div></div>

Poppycock, my proof the Chinese do make something good:
Zhang_Ziyi_1.jpg

The ones they let live at least..... Their one child rule makes a male child more desirable, and as such the female infanticide rate is very high.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So your telling me that 5.11 copys other brands design, doubt it. They make quality shit that are well priced, they may be made in a foreign country, but they are not chinese airsoft knockoff gear.</div></div>

FYI

511 stuff is made in China, for the most part, including pants and an instructors belt I own.

5.11 coppied Woolrich Elites pants, and many other packs, belts, and shirt designs. All Chinese made, to the best of my knowledge, so in essence, Chinese knock off, airsoft gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

5.11 coppied Woolrich Elites pants, and many other packs, belts, and shirt designs. All Chinese made, to the best of my knowledge, so in essence, Chinese knock off, airsoft gear. </div></div>

the original tactical pants that everyone copies these days was made by a company called Royal Robbins. They were making the exact pattern 25 years ago or more. I have a pair I bought in the police academy more then14 years ago and they had been around for a long time back then...
Royal Robbins was either bought out or reformed into 5.11. The pants were being made 15-20 years before woolrich ever had a "tactical elite" line of clothing...

Royal Robbins is still around. I wear their shirts to work. Have some pants from them too. Good shit.

Every time I have gotten my hands on one of these they had holes in them too!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">china doesn't make anything good that I know of. gawd </div></div>

Zhang_Ziyi_1.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So your telling me that 5.11 copys other brands design, doubt it. They make quality shit that are well priced, they may be made in a foreign country, but they are not chinese airsoft knockoff gear.</div></div>

FYI

511 stuff is made in China, for the most part, including pants and an instructors belt I own.

5.11 coppied Woolrich Elites pants, and many other packs, belts, and shirt designs. All Chinese made, to the best of my knowledge, so in essence, Chinese knock off, airsoft gear. </div></div>

That is correct, I have purchased several 5.11 products, cheap chinese junk, they can keep it, won't be getting my money ever again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NYresq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the original tactical pants that everyone copies these days was made by a company called Royal Robbins. They were making the exact pattern 25 years ago or more.</div></div>

Exactly correct.... except that Royal Robbins never marketed the pants as "tactical" anything. They were a very small company that manufactured gear and clothing for mountaineering and serious overland treking.

They started adding the "tactical" sales pitch after some LEO's discovered how good they were for such usage and the FBI HRT started issuing them. I started wearing them sometime in maybe the mid-1980's and they were still known as "Royal Robbins". IIRC sometime in the 1990's RR started using the 5.11 as a "line" of clothing...The originals were a far cry from those pants turned out today by what's now known as 5.11. They were much thicker fabric and more "heavy duty"... maybe the change came because the heavy ones were not as stylish as the HRT wanted
smile.gif
. Your thighs chafe sitting behind a desk all day in heavy pants, not to mention the dangers of nutsack adhesion... more likely it was profit motive that changed things.

"Paint it black, call it SWAT, and someone will buy it..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">...IF YOU WANT TO LOSE ALL YOUR SH*T WHEN IT FALLS APART!
</span>

To anyone thinking of saving a few bucks buy chinese knockoff gear....

I took some pics of my Maxpedition backpack (USA) this morning to post for another thread.

pack1.jpg

pack2.jpg

Looks great yeah? Well I was looking at the Admin Pouch (Made in China that I bought cheap at the local Army/Navy) and noticed a rip in the bottom seam of the pouch that holds my tools ( hex wrenches, screwdrivers and $100 Leatherman!) well when I looked in it the Leatheman was gone! Fell out!

POS!! I will never buy a knock off of anything, you never know what it may be carrying. Fortunately I found the Leatherman in the garage where I store my gear. I'm hoping that it didn't drop any other stuff I may have forgotten about.

Please don't buy knockoffs. They will cost much more in the end

</div></div>

Let us know what kind of bag you get. I am looking for a spiffy pack like that...and I really don't want to run into the same pitfall
smile.gif

I like the Idea about a sticky thread devoted to USA made gear,I would probably include quality gear made by our REAL Allies also.Even in my trade as a Stone mason and Granite fabricator,I DO NOT use Chicom Shit.People that tell you it is impossible and everything is made in China are wrong.I was pissed off because I couldn't find any quality hunting camo made in the USA,then I found Sage Country Camo,made 100% in the US and no more expensive than the knock off shit.

I gotta put an order in soon to Nick at Grand River Tactical,be damned if my 100% American 338 EDGE is going in some POS Chicom bag.

It is more difficult and more expensive to stick with Made in USA gear and equipment, but I think it's more satisfying.

When I started making my own line of products I was determined to use only USA made materials where I had any choice. I am proud to continue to do this and be able to do it at a competitive price.

Some items (like Cobra Buckles) leave you no choice. But when I have the choice of using Kodra (cheap import) or Cordura (US Made), it's simple. The same with thread, webbing and fasteners. Thankfully since military gear must be Berry Compliant guys like Nick and I have access to lots of US Made components to build our stuff with.

YOU guys buying Quality American are what keeps US able to do what we do. Otherwise we would never be able to compete on price alone.

Fortunately for me too, every one of them has had several holes in them...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time I have gotten my hands on one of these they had holes in them too!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">china doesn't make anything good that I know of. gawd </div></div>

Zhang_Ziyi_1.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

I can't believe the Chinese issue their troops the same crap they export. But then again they put toxins in domestic baby formula, lead paint on toys and toxic compounds in toy jewelry.

Anyone seen modern current issue Chinese web gear? What do their troops have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thankfully since military gear must be Berry Compliant guys like Nick and I have access to lots of US Made components to build our stuff with.

YOU guys buying Quality American are what keeps US able to do what we do. Otherwise we would never be able to compete on price alone.</div></div>

Exactly right! The guys who appreciate quality, craftsmanship, and the coveted "MADE IN THE USA" logo, are exactly who keep us in business. Speaking on behalf of John and Stu at RedTac and many others, thank you all so much.