• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate stock

I do not own one, but have handled a few. This is what I know about them, durable, strong, heavy, and at that price you can't beat the valu. I like my B&C Medalist A-2 better, it's lighter and strong.

I have one and like it. It is heavy and not as refined looking up close as a McMillan, but I guarantee you it is every bit as solid and probably much more so. And the price is right.

I put one on my 7 mag and it fit very well. It is heavy but depending on what you want to do with it that might not be a bad thing. The one thing I do not like is the sliding bipod adapter but it is an easy fix. Over all it is a very nice product, especially for the price.

These are good entry level/budget stocks. They're built like tanks for sure. The barrel channels are huge. So if you're running a varmint contour barrel, you'll have a TON of free float. An mtu profile would fill the gaps better and still leave room for float. If you're not planning on humping the rifle for a long time or running with it, this stock will suit you fine. If you're looking for light weight, run away from it.

I have one on a Savage, I like the price,strong, and has the vee bock, no need to bed. The thing that I don't like is the weight.(Heavy) For the money it's hard to beat.

like many have said they are strong and durable. For just a little more you can get the Bell and Carlson

durable, strong, heavy, and at that price you can't beat the value.

Pretty much sums them up (I have owned 2). Without bedding both produced .3" to .4" ctc 5 rd groups prone from a bipod in a field. The only downside is the weight assuming you do more than back your SUV up to the shooting bench.

Pretty much sums them up (I have owned 2). Without bedding both produced .3" to .4" ctc 5 rd groups prone from a bipod in a field. The only downside is the weight assuming you do more than back your SUV up to the shooting bench.

So did you ever bedd them and if so how did they do afterwards?

I never heard good things about choate and the plaster disaster stocks but this one actually looks pretty nice and has alot of positive reviews

I been eyeing it up as well, I actually think it looks better than most the B&C with their square fore ends. I know they are heavier than say an A2 B&C, but does 1 to 1-1/2lbs extra really kill ya? I'm asking seriously because I'm pretty new to other than factory rifles (that only got used for hunting.) I like it because I've seen that the palm swell is quite large, and I'm a pretty big guy at 6'6" 240lb with some giant hands. I can't see an extra pound or two being an issue, personally at least.

I have one on my f-class savage and I love it. I am going to get another one.

I have one and I like it, I had it on my Remmy 700 in 22-250 and it was a big difference in accuracy it went from .5 Moa to .35 on 5 shot groups. I did have to shorten the front action screw so the bolt would not bind, but thats was no big deal just took it to the grinder and took a little at a time and checked. Now my 22-250 is a 260 Rem with the same stock and a Loather Walther barrel and I had to take some material out of the barrel channel to make it free float and remove the sling swivels since they are one piece and go across the barrel channel. But i plan to put flush cup in soon, so again not a huge deal, not much to complain for a 200 dollar stock.. Its durable, and feels good when your behind it. I think the stock is a good start for the precision shooter on a budget. On the Stock remmy with the varmint barrel it looked kinda goofy with all that room in the barrel channel, but the muzzle of this barrel is at .920" and it needed about .05'' cleared at the bottom of the channel to realy free float..

Last edited:
I was one the fence on one for my savage I called choate to make sure they would work for the bolt release in the trigger guard and they said it would i guess I'll have to get one since everyone else seems to like them

Got one on a heavy barrel 243. As to the complaints about weight- I don't get it, if anything the extra weight helps control recoil and eases staying on target. I don't run a bipod so the rail is perfect for a hand stop and sling method of support. Can't beat it for the price.

Very good stock for the money. I've got the deluxe package on my savage 110 in 260 Remington. Shoots as accurate as I can.

I have used 2. One on a 3006 Ackley, and currently have the ADL version on my new Rem.700 .223 long range rig. They are built like tanks, a bit heavy but that was a blessing on the Ackley.

Last edited:
it's not a stock you would want to carry in the field but for target and p-dogs it's great! it is heavy and wide but will accommodate a varmint or even a bull barrel with no problem. I like mine and am thinking of replacing one of my B&C duramax with another choate.

The one thing I don't care for is the bottom of the rear is flat which makes it difficult to make any
elevation adjustments when shooting off of bags.

I practically begged my buddy not use this stock on his 300wm build.It turned out well.Even tho it has a alum bedding block it still needed glass bedding.After spending some time behind this rifle I must admit this stock very usable and not the POS I thought it to be.But its still ugly.Reid I hope you read this!!:)

Last edited:
6mmBRKriegerbarrelHarrelbrakeHarrisBipodChoatesstockIORscopeIORringsBTcoversRem700BDLSA16poundsa.jpg

In 2009 I got a Choate stock for $40 at a gun show.
I slapped together a rifle and chambered it in 6mmBR, took it to the range.
It shot a 0.55" 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I have not shot it since.
It weighs 16 pounds.

1) Rem700 22-250 for $180 at gunshow, took off the stock and barrel.
2) Krieger 6mmBRX 1 in 8" twist barrel with Harrell brake $100 at a forum
3) Choate Ultimate Sniper stock $40 at gun show
4) IOR 2.5x10x42, illuminated, second focal plane, MP-8 Dot reticule, 1/2 mil hatch, 1/2 moa target turrets $600 on Snipers hide forum
5) IOR tactical steel rings came with the scope
6) Harris swivel bi-pod mounted on the rifle, lying around my house
7) B-Square Weaver Bubble Bore Level $14 SWFA
8) EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount $40 SWFA
----------------------------------------------------------------------
$374 rifle + $600 scope = $974 in materials

I've had that stock on both a Savage and a Remington in .308. As everyone has said, it is heavy! I really like them for the price, and prefer them over the B&C (I will admit that I've been behind the Choate a lot more than I've been behind the B&C, so I'm biased). The grip is very big, so keep that in mind. Never bedded them, as they were capable of more than I was. Barrel channel is HUGE!

I've also had the Choate ultimate snipe on a Savage. Hated that stock. I didn't like the feel, and the grip texture was to much for my taste. The tactical is a much better option between those two.