• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical Stock or B&C Medalist V/T

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I'm looking to upgrade the stock on my 10FP and was looking for something simple, effective, and on the lower end of the price range since I'm still in learning mode. The Choate Tactical stock seems to fill those requirements but I found some threads from a couple years ago saying they were basically a prettier version of the factory plastic stock. But, the price back then was also $159. Now they're up towards $250 so either they jacked their prices for no reason or redesigned the stock. The Choate web site doesn't say what material it's made of. Couldn't find a lot of specs on the B&C and how it might compare but I did find nothing but good reviews... but the search engine on this site is useless and google turned up 100000 results. Forgive me if it's been discussed to death. B&C web site says it's made of a "proprietary composite material" which I'm guessing is plastic, but the CNCed aluminum bedding looks great. And because midway has the B&C on sale for $205, I'm leaning that way. Anything else I should consider? It's for shooting paper out to about 600M and I'm still swapping out optics, learning, and just trying to get more trigger time. I'm no pro and I don't need a $450-$1200 stock.

Re: Choate Tactical Stock or B&C Medalist V/T

the choate is plastic molded over a full length aluminum chassis making it one unit. they are VERY tough and the ergonomics are very good to me. they are heavy and would be better balanced with a longer barreled rifle. if weight is not conern, i really like the choate. the B&C is also a good stock for the money and i would put them right in line with HS precision for much less. the LOP on the choate is adjustable with spacers but that adds more weight as well. i bought the choate tactical stock when they first came out and took it to a buddies house during load development on a new rifle. he now has FOUR of them. he can afford to buy ANYTHING but the choate meets his requirements to a T. he likes heavy rifles and he want total durability. the choate has it in spades. for a bench gun, prone gun, not carried tod much gun, i like the choate. for a truck gun, hunting gun, whats over the next ridge gun, i like the B&C. i like them both very well, just for different applications. go to stockystocks.com for the B&C and combatstocks.com for the choate.

p.s. go to the 6mmbr.com website. the FTR WORLD CHAMPION uses a choate stock. he prefers the "sniper" model which i dont care for but it just goes to show that a completely accurate and reliable rig can be based on a choate stock.

chuck

the choate tactical is made from rynite.
I have had both the choate tact and the b&c medalist on savages, and prefer the fit and finish of the b&c. There are some things I like about the choate though, mainly the large palm swell (because I have large hands), and the rail under the front. The choate also has a larger barrel channel, which I needed with a full bull barrel (1" at muzzle). The b&c would prob have to be sanded down some. And one of the choates I have is for a long action, which b&c doesnt make a medalist for so I had to go with the choate for a low priced stock. I had trouble painting my choate stocks, even after sanding, priming, and primering again and again. And they are heavy stocks, mine are around 3.75lbs. If you can get your hands on both, see which fits and feels better to you. If you go with the b&c because of the sale, I dont think you will be disappointed.

You may also want to check out stockade stocks if you have time to wait. You can pick up a moneysaver version and finish it yourself for around the same money, and they are excellent stock. Much better than the choate and b&c in my opinion.

Great comparisons, thanks guys. I think I'm going to try the B&C out because my .308 is only 18", I'd like to save a little weight, and the price is right. After I get a little better at precision shooting I'm going to build a second gun to reach out and touch 1000+ and might try the Choate then. Thanks again.