• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Tactical Stocks

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
I'm in the midst of a new build. Taking my SPS-Tactical and re-barreling it to begin with. The barrel is going to be a 26" Benchmark . 223 in 1:7.5 twist with 5-C rifling.

I have a tight budget for this build and as such will be "sharing" a high end scope with my .308 Tactical "Custom" so I've saved there.

The stock is the only remaining question. It's down to a Choate Tactical Stock provided it's as good as they say it is.

My questions is should I go with the Choate and save $200, look at the aa700 Archangel, or just get another B&C A-5 style that both cost around $400 or so.

I already have the B&C so it would be nice to have the same 'feel' with the .223 as I do with the .308 but according to my wife I'll exceed my budget "at my own peril"

What do others that have the Choate Tactical Stock think of them? Would you buy one again?

What do you like about it?

What do you hate about it?

Last edited:
You are asking about the newer Choate Tactical that looks like an A2 type stock, and is NOT a thumbhole/Dragunov, right?

I had one on a Savage 10. I liked the price, and it seemed well made given the price. It looks more finished than their earlier Dragunov type stocks, though I actually like those better for their ergonomics (I have the "Ultimate Varmint" model). I like the accessory rail on the bottom of the stock. I never warmed up to the exact shape and angle of the grip, even though I'm happy with the grip on the B&C A2 stocks that look very similar.

Have you considered getting one of those B&C A2 type stocks? You can find them for $244 here:

2092-22 Remington 700 SA A2 Stock Black with Gray Spider Web | Red Hawk Rifles

Otherwise I'd think about getting the A5 you want and finding room in the budget / negotiating with the wife.

I have a Choate and, granted its my first aftermarket stock, I like it. The palm swell is large but I have average size hands and I run it just fine. Good fit and finish on the whole thing. Did need to trim an action screw, but only slightly. But I'd say its a pretty great deal on a rock solid stock with an aluminum bedding block. Not really anything I've found yet that I don't like.

I would do a Boyd's Tacticool over a Choate. $109? Super stiff. Just pillar and skim bed it and shoot it. Not everyone needs a $1000 Chassis or manners. While they are nice, until you get a better budget the Boyd's will do fine.

Solid Stock... Great for the bench.. If you are "Mr Big Hands".. Sheesh man.... I really struggled to get a grip of mine.

I'm not small just average 5'11 180 pounds, normal sized hands and just could not get comfy.

Get the Boyds as mentioned... pillar bed it and you can take the grip size down if needed since it's solid.... not so on the Choate as it's hollow.

I have a Choate tactical for my 260 savage build.
I like it.
I have big hands so the grip is no big deal.
I'd buy another for a budget build.

I have a couple of Tacs, and love them. After having the first for a couple of years I bought the second from CDI with their DBM. Well suited for shooting from a bipod since the aluminum bedding extends from the receiver bedding block through the fore-end, adding stiffness. A T-rail slot is included which is flush mount. A bit heavy which is great for target shooting, but not so great if you're hauling on your back long when hunting. The finish is not perfect, with casting seams, but who leaves it black anyway. For comparison I have a Manners T4A carbon elite mini-chassis which is obviously nicer, but doesn't shoot any better. With the weight on a heavy barrel 223 you will have little recoil and can stay on target well. You get a lot for the money with the Tac, and it would be my first choice it that is the top of your budget.

What do others that have the Choate Tactical Stock think of them? Would you buy one again?

What do you like about it?

What do you hate about it?

I have owned a non adjustable Choate tactical stock and an adjustable tactical stock and would not buy another, I will explain why. With my 1st Choate stock it made some very tight groups, (.35" to .45" 5 round center to center groups prone off of a bipod in the grass @ 100 yds) but at about 450 rounds I was shooting one day and my groups opened up to approx. 2" to 2 1/2". When my groups opened up I stopped shooting immediately and began checking my equipment. While checking the rifle over I noticed the barrel was resting against the side of he barrel channel, I pushed the barrel back towards the center and it went straight to the other side! The aluminum bedding block had come loose from the stock and was sliding around inside the plastic. To Choates credit they warrantied the stock and sent me another, I paid the difference and upgraded to the adjustable stock. When I got my adjustable stock the bedding block was installed exactly the same way with no real mechanical bond to hold the aluminum bedding block inside the plastic stock, after looking over the replacement I was not at all comfortable the same thing would not happen to the replacement down the road so I sold the stock and got a McMillan A-5. The McMillan was a real stretch for my budget but I am glad I went that route, it was worth the extra $.

Just my amateur opinion based on my observations with 2 of their stocks.

If the $ for a McMillan is out of the question for you then take a look at the HS Precision, it is only $375 and you get a bedding block.
H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Vertical Grip Varmint Tactical Savage 10FP 110 DM 12 BBC Stocks - PST 101 114 129

Good luck and good shooting

I have owned a non adjustable Choate tactical stock and an adjustable tactical stock and would not buy another, I will explain why. With my 1st Choate stock it made some very tight groups, (.35" to .45" 5 round center to center groups prone off of a bipod in the grass @ 100 yds) but at about 450 rounds I was shooting one day and my groups opened up to approx. 2" to 2 1/2". When my groups opened up I stopped shooting immediately and began checking my equipment. While checking thestock.ies over I noticed the barrel was resting against the side of he barrel channel, I pushed the barrel back towards the center and it went straight to the other side! The aluminum bedding block had come loose from the stock and was sliding around inside the plastic. To Choates credit they warrantied the stock and sent me another, I paid the difference and upgraded to the adjustable stock. When I got my adjustable stock the bedding block was installed exactly the same way with no real mechanical bond to hold the aluminum bedding block inside the plastic stock, after looking over the replacement I was not at all comfortable the same thing would not happen to the replacement down the road so I sold the stock and got a McMillan A-5. The McMillan was a real stretch for my budget but I am glad I went that route, it was worth the extra $.

Just my amateur opinion based on my observations with 2 of their stocks.

If the $ for a McMillan is out of the question for you then take a look at the HS Precision, it is only $375 and you get a bedding block.
H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Vertical Grip Varmint Tactical Savage 10FP 110 DM 12 BBC Stocks - PST 101 114 129

Good luck and good shooting

I had the same issues with the non adjustable tactical stock. It was on my savage 300wm, I didn't even get a 100 rounds out of it. Midway refunded me and I just saved and ordered an XLR evolution, best decision I've made with this rifle yet.

With the weight on a heavy barrel 223 you will have little recoil and can stay on target well.

Yes, there will be some weight in the barrel I have planned. A 26" bbl in either M-24 or MTU profile. The extended action block appeals to me as it appears a bipod mount pretty much attaches directly into the aluminum portion in the forend. Should be little or no flex between action mount and bipod yet the barrel is still floating.

Not too interested in cosmetics. I figure I can use some textured paint to cover any mold parting lines.