• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choice of Brass

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
I know Lapua is a great name in brass, but at $0.60 per copy for .223, it can get pricey.

Do you have any suggestions for other quality brass that is not so pricey?

I want brass that is consistent in dimensions (no junk). IF it has to be Lapua, then so be it.

Suggestions??

Lapua is the best assuming they make it for your caliber. No messing with primer pockets or anything else, the first shot is load and go. After that size and chamfer, trim if it needs it. Winchester is second best but sometimes the flash holes need some work.

Not to discount nosler or Norma, I've used enough of it to know it's great brass and probably right there in second place with Winchester, I don't feel it's as good as Lapua though.

You referenced 223 so that's what I assume you're looking for. I'd still put Lapua first and follow it with Winchester and then lake city. If it's for a gas gun I either run Winchester or LC, brass gets beat up a bit and negates the small consistency advantage lapua gives you. You'll see results on target much more with a bolt gun.

Is this for a bolt gun or semi auto?

I buy the LC once fired in bulk and just do really nice prep and they work great for my SPR

I prefer LC for a gas gun as well, like others mention Lapua for bolt guns.
looks like we are pretty close to each other Im in coleville ca. If you want I can give you some LC to try out

memo

winchester, more case capacity so more speed, it needs a little prep but only need to be done once.
cheers.

I've been putting off buying new brass because the last couple of lots of Lapua I've bought needed as much prep work as Winchester (primer pockets, neck turning etc) so I would like to switch but Winchester brass in 308 and 223 is as rare as hens teeth.

Lapua used to be "load it out of the box" but not anymore in my experience.

As soon as I posted this I googled "223 winchester brass" and found some at Dillon Precision but they are asking a premium price for it. $187 plus shipping for 500 pcs. Usually sells for about $125

Last edited:
Powder Valley has once fired (mostly LC) 5.56 brass for the reasonable (IMHO) price of $42/500 on their specials page.
I bought 2000 recently and it's almost entirely LC and in pretty nice shape overall.
I've had good results in the past with LC, reloaded on a progressive (dumped not weighed charges) with Hornady 55 gr soft points. Fired out of my more accurate ARs, they group sub MOA at 100 yards (5 shot groups).

I bought 200 Lapua cases that are only fired in my AR with the 24" Krieger .223 match chambered barrel. Some days are better than others... and on the best day I shot 3 five shot groups in succession of .33 MOA (at 100 yards) or less. These were Lapua cases loaded with 23.2 gr I4895 under 75 gr Hornady HPBTs lit by CCI match primers. The first group would likely have been just as tight had I not been dialing in the scope during.

I've got 3 gas gun firings on the Lapua brass so far and the cases are still in very nice shape. I'll run 'em through the annealer before I FL resize them in the hopes of getting quite a few more firings before they get scrapped.

Attachments

• 10-14-13_75HHPBT_23.2I4895.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I would say to get several brands of brass and fire some groups with it. I've seen some rifles shoot better with certain head stamps.

The best advice it always to try it out in your rifle. SCIENCE!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

To the original poster.

May I ask what discipline, at what ranges and what size groups are you currently involved with?

To the original poster.

May I ask what discipline, at what ranges and what size groups are you currently involved with?

Right now I am shooting groups at 100 yards. I also go to the silhouette range (100-960 yards) and shoot the silhouette targets.

I am learning on the .223 for now because the cartridge is inexpensive and it won't cost a tremendous amount to start learning the tricks of shooting and reloading. But I have decided to have a 6.5/284 built and apply the principles I am learning to this rifle. I would like to eventually shoot competitively up to 1,000 yards.

Attached below is a 3 shot group I did the other day at 100 yards. I was using HNDY 55 GR B/T with 24.5 grains TAC. I don't even know the headstamp on the brass..I learned from The Hide to know your headstamp and keeps things sorted. As a result, I ordered 300 brass cases of Lapua. I also purchased Berger 70 GR VLD's.

20140427_084024.jpg

Awesome groups, looks like you have a good load development there
Also I'm not going to say the 6.5x284 is not a good cartridge but there's others with better barrel life (1-1.5k)
Look at the 6m dasher (36 grn) or the 308 (45+Grn) for instance both good do an have a good barrel life an will be good at 1000 yard shoot
Look around or ask around an see what kind of barrel life different people are getting

use lake city its cheap and if your just starting it will help you develop you skills then you can drop cash on quality components