• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choice of Cz 457 and optic

bllistc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
So I’m planning on getting my first rimfire rifle for some plinking and cheap practice as I’m still relatively new to PRS. I’m trying to decide between a cz 457 pro varmint vs. the at-one and looking for some opinions on one vs the other? It would be in 22LR with 16.5” barrel. I know the difference is really just the stock so I guess I’m asking whether the Boyd’s at-one stock is good or if I should save the cash and maybe get a chassis for it down the road.

Second question, what optic would you guys recommend? Trying to stay around the $500 mark. I was thinking maybe and athlon Argos BTR.

The ProVarmint has a more vertical grip, a notch on the bottom of the stock, and two studs on the forend (sling + bipod). I don't shoot PRS or NRL22, but I can image those features being more desirable. It's cheaper as well, which frees up a few more bucks so you can afford the pimpin deal on the Burris XTR II at Natchez. :)

The ProVarmint has a more vertical grip, a notch on the bottom of the stock, and two studs on the forend (sling + bipod). I don't shoot PRS or NRL22, but I can image those features being more desirable. It's cheaper as well, which frees up a few more bucks so you can afford the pimpin deal on the Burris XTR II at Natchez. :)

Oh damn I might have to get that. Thanks for the heads up. Thats a crazy deal

I put an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 on my V-22 sporter; it's a very good scope, though not as clear/sharp as the Cronus scopes I have on the two hvy bbl V-22s I shot in matches. After re-barreling a CZ457 American with a Shilen select match ratchet rifled blank, I'm wanting to replace an older Vortex PST 6-24x50 sfp on that rifle with another Midas TAC. Don't know of another scope in this price range that offers as much as these scopes do.

Reactions: RandomWAguy
I've picked up PST II 5-25x50 on sale from Eurooptic for $700 for my 10/22. Had a Cronus on it, but it was too big. I do run Cronus on my 452 and works really well

Reactions: Dustysa4
Ended up going with the XTR II 6-25x50 MRAD from that natchez deal. Couldn’t pass up on it at that price.

I’m kinda leaning more toward the pro Varmint if the grip is more vertical like dusty said. Couldn’t really tell from looking at pictures online and haven’t gotten a chance to handle them.

I don’t know whether it was my shooting ability vs. the guy at the range. But my pro varmint with a 16.5 was much more consistent than a guy who was shooting against me with the at one.

Ended up going with the XTR II 6-25x50 MRAD from that natchez deal. Couldn’t pass up on it at that price.

I’m kinda leaning more toward the pro Varmint if the grip is more vertical like dusty said. Couldn’t really tell from looking at pictures online and haven’t gotten a chance to handle them.
I’m not sure if this helps or not, but here is a pic of my ProVarmint right after I got it home. I have a Manners T4A on my PRS rig and the Pro Varmint stock mimics it fairly close in shape.
51EEAE3A-665B-4598-908C-1DE0FB36EDB5.jpeg