• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Choice of Primer for .308 Win

l115a3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
In case that you can get both in same price, which one will be recommend for use in competition?

CCI BR2
FED 210M

I long ago standardized my rifle primer sets. I buy in bulk when they are available, and I don't change primers Willy Nilly on some ephemeral quest for that last 0.05" of accuracy (I don't do benchrest). So I buy and stock only these types below:

CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum
Fed 210M Large Rifle Match
Fed 215 Large Rifle Magnum

But there is nothing wrong with picking CCI BR2's over Fed 210M's. Just choose one good match LR primer, buy them in bulk and rock on...

I have a lower ES with the 210m with varget but it could be the other way around with another powder.

I stock WLR for most of my Large rifle loads, CCI BR2 for match type loads. They do well for me and i also like that they have the tiny "B" stamp on them.

I use a lot of CCI primers but I get more accurate loads in the 308 with the Fed Match than I do with the CCI BR, but your mileage may vary.

I use both . No appreciable accuracy or SD differences in my loadings . Loading on the highest node , I will use the CCIs when the brass is newer , then switch to the FGM after 4 or so cycles on the casings . I have found the CCIs measure .0005 to .001 " smaller than the Federal primers . My thought is to try to extend primer pocket life , but have no conclusive evidence that it helps using the smaller primers to begin with .

I've had better luck with the BR2s than with 210Ms. Lower ES/SD and better accuracy with Varget or Power Pro 2000MR in my match gun with 185s and 200s.......Just my personal experience with both, your rifle might like the 210s.

Bolt gun or semi? Many people believe that the 210's are "soft" and should not be used with a semi auto, as the belief is a harder primer will lessen the possibility of a slam fire. Other than that, get more than one type of primer, as you "work up" different load (powders/bullet/brass) a different primer than your "standard" may (and often does) give you better results.

+1 for 210M for my 308 bolt gun. I had all intentions on trying out the BR2 primers....even bought 200 of them before all this panic buying started. However, I never got around to testing the CCIs in fear of me really liking them and not being able to get my hands on any. I've had no issues with the 210M primer...low SD and ES for the load I have worked up.

Nothing wrong with either, both work great for me. Buy whatever you can find and shoot with confidence. Lightman

Can you share which supplier should put a backorder for primers?

Grafs
Bruno
Midsouth

My last order of primer was from PowderValley but seem like they do not accept backorder anymore.

In the FWIW department, I've always been partial to Graf's. Their one low price shipping is great.

I have always used Federal 210M in my bolt action rifles. Never tried anything else. However I do change to the Winchester for my gas gun. I like to think it's a harder primer and may help prevent a slam fire. Your mileage may vary. Have some CCI primers to try in the gas guns, but have not had the time.

My targets and Chronograph tell me 210/210m and 200/BR2 are exactly the same, only my wallet can tell the difference, in 260Rem I perfer CCi primers, in 308 pushing 155s hard I perfer CCi primers, in 308 slinging 175s I perfer Fed primers.

In my Savage 16FLHSS with 1 in 10 Lothar Walther barrel.

Jam length with Nosler 175 gr. HPBT is 2.312 (about 2.893 LOAL). Bullets seated to give 0.018 bullet jump.

Bullet: Nosler 175 gr. HPBT
Powder: Hodgdon Varget 43.5 grs.
Primer: CCI-BR2
Case: Lapua
LOAL: 2.875 (2.294 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Average Velocity: 2621.32 fps
Extreme Spread: 14.73
Standard Deviation: 5.65

Bullet: Nosler 175 gr. HPBT
Powder: Hodgdon Varget 43.5 grs.
Primer: Federal 210 Match
Case: Lapua
LOAL: 2.875 (2.294 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Average Velocity: 2609.04 fps
Extreme Spread: 30.39
Standard Deviation: 11.22

Slightly better accuracy with the Federal 210M - go figure!