• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

choosing 308

dark_mirror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Columbia falls, Montana
im looking into higher end precision rifle than what i have, and looking for any insight from people have have used any of the rifles or any suggestions. the caliber i want is a .308 and the most im wanting to spend on just the rifle is probably at most 2800.

rifles:
sako trg 22
fnh spr in the a-5 stock
kimber 8400 advanced tactical

those are the rifles im interested in, any info would be appreciated from people who have used any of the rifles. i have been using a remington for quite some time and wanting to step up into a higher end rifle.
thanks

Re: choosing 308

Send your remington to a good smith and you can have a higher end rifle for less than $2800.

FN SPR isn't high end, and TRG's may run a tad more than you are looking to spend.

If you are wanting to step up do it right and get something built on a custom action. There is no reason you can't get that done for the price you talking about.

if i did the fn i would be sending to a gunsmith to bring it up to par, if i went for the trg i would spend the extra cash for the rifle. just dont have any of the experience with these rifles first hand.

Start off on a surgeon action, and build from there. The one Im gonna be building is gonna cost me around 2500 and 3000. Just my 2 cents

If you have a 700 aciton, use it!!!

If not get a Surgeon RSR. Give American Precision Arms(jjoplin) or La Precison (wnroscoe) a look. Shoot them a pm they will do you right!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start off on a surgeon action, and build from there. The one Im gonna be building is gonna cost me around 2500 and 3000. Just my 2 cents </div></div>

are you having a gun smith install everything or are you? t
thanks for all the responses it helps.

Check out the Tac Pro sale and pick up a bare bones AE for under 3K.

what would be wrong with a savage 10 fcp with mcmillan and a custom barrel you can put on yourself, as well as buy a couple other barrels in diff calibers which u could also swap yourself...???? You could bed the stock and slap in a couple pillars... there are also some 9 rounds mags available... Just a thought ... would be cheap and a decent shooter. Mine does .5 moa outta the box. Im sure with a good barrel u'd get better yet.

The trg 22 I have has worked ok but I have been having some problems with the mags working in dusty enviroments. Going to send back to beretta monday. I dont know if I am the only one with the problem. Other then that the gun is super accurate. Found mine for $2300 new so I picked it up. I would look at the AE mkII it looks like a good set up and I like the AI stock over the trg. Good luck

go trg it is just a high end accurate system you will never regret
don`t go to the exensive accesories a harris bipod and a rail for the scope and youre god to go