• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a barrel

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
Hey guys this is my first experiance with changing a barrel and also im not real sure on what would be the right choice i have a Savage 110 30-06 and im looking for a match heavy barrel with a muzzle break what company should i look into and what specs would be the best i will eventually be shooting match's with this gun so what length,twist rate etc. do you reccomend.
thanks for your help

Re: Choosing a barrel

What caliber? .30-06? Or a long throated .308? Or some other caliber? What delivery time? How much are you willing to spend? What sport? F-Class? Over the course? Lots of variables that the guys need to know before a recommendation can be validly made. JMHO

well im glade u asked i have been considering going with a different caliber i was thinking of a 6mm is it a hard process to change calibers and yes F class and i have never priced barrels so im not sure on how much to allow for i was told that its not very complicated to change calibers in a savage i was just wondering on how to go about doing it and what yalls thoughts are on calibers etc

I think in Savage rifles. You can order a barrel from Savage and get a no-go gauge and do it yourself. This is what a guy at one of the matches told me. Maybe contact Savage. Barrels normally cost around 300.

Well i have heard good things about rock creek barrels also how would the 260 do in f class competiton what are yalls thought on caliber choice, and barrel

Yes you can get pre chambered Savage barrels and change them your self. You do not have have a large choice in caliber. 260 or 243 are nice flat shooting rounds. Check f class rules. I think you are limited to .308 or .223 with no brake unless you want to shoot in the unlimited class. A good match grade tube will run you right around 300 and then about 250 to have it chambered and installed. The Savage barrels are a little cheaper and you can just screw them on.

ok i think im gonna go with the 260 it will fit a 473 bolt face correct and what about the action a 30-06 is a long action and a 260 is a short so how would that interchange sorry guys im new to this i know its prob a dumb question i appriciate yalls help

The 260 is a "short action" round, but you can get better performance out of a 260 in a long action by seating the bullet out further, thus providing more case capacity. IMO, the 260 is a tight squeeze in a short action.

Kirk R

so that all i gotta do find a drop in savage barrel and thats it i gotta 260, and i wanna replace the factory barrel with the heavy bbl do they make drop in bbl not the sporter

Get a Sendero contour or it's equivelant. Pleanty heavy without going overboard. Any of the top manufacturers will do. I don't have a Rock Creek but I hear they're as good as any.

don't think you can go wrong with the 260. I went with the 6.5x47 lapua because i think i can get a little longer barrel life, but caliber choice is all about give and take. there are some amazing calibers out there but your barrel life will be around 1k rounds. or on the other end you could shoot a .308 and have super long barrel life but you'll give up some ballistic advantages of "better" calibers.

you'll have fun with the 260, build it and have fun.

yea thats pretty short barrel life but i have read about the amazing ballistics of a 260 how longis the normal barrel life of the 6.5 lapua