• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Choosing a custom rifle builder....

Navysh00ter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2010
New to the forum, stepping up to my first custom rifle. Straight shot gunsmithing and vandyke look promising. I would like any opinions. Thanks in advance!

Re: Choosing a custom rifle builder....

Ther are lots of great builders. On here your going to hear GA precision most, and for good reason. Short action customs is another good one. And they are gonna throw a bunch more at you as well. Many are members here on the hide. Do a search and you will see examples of many builders with photos and range tests. As well as reviews of their customer service. Good luck to you

Hey dont know who you speak of but Rob recommended a great one in GAP.

My next is being done at Surgeon Rifles. Used one of thier actions and love it!

I would look around the forum here, and you will find plenty of great gunsmiths here. I would start calling them up and talk to them. If they don't want to talk, they don't deserve your buisness..

I'm currently having a rifle built by a Robert Gradous..
http://www.gradousrifles.com/about.php

GAP
APA
Skunk
LA Precision
KMW (I want)
Precision Shooting Sports
Jon Beanland
etc

The larger question is what are you going to be doing with the rifle? Where are you located? What is your experience?

I have only used a small number of smiths, (never used APA or GAP) and all my stuff without question goes to John Beanland out of Gould, Oklahoma.

Ozzie at Suareztacticalrifles.com built 2 for me. Great guy to do business with and pretty good turn around time too!

Good points made. I want a bean field shooter, tactical stock, and I am leaning toward a .338 Lapua. I know that everyone has opinions about caliber, I'm not wanting to hash old threads.
I am finally able to consider a custom rifle ($$$) and I reload my own, I shot for the Navy, I've competed at Dam neck, Va, invited to Camp Perry, etc... I really want to hone my skills and maybe get a 800+ yard elk or mule deer.
I am a little scared after reading about some 1.5+years to get a gun. I want to canvass the 'hide to get some real time stories/opinions. I'm located in Oklahoma and have some great opportunities that I need a long legged round for.
As I said earlier, this is my first posting, I have to say I am impressed so far with the Non-smart aleck responses. Thanks to all who have commented.

If your looking for a 338L, nothing against the gunsmiths mentioned here, you may want to check out euro-optics I believe they have some TRG-42s that would meet your needs. goodluck
Rthur
BTW probably not much wait

remember.....a rifle is nothing more than a tool.....when you wear some of it out ....the guy you call on speeddial should be arms distance away.

one can do alot with a .300wm at distance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Navysh00ter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good points made. I want a bean field shooter, tactical stock, and I am leaning toward a .338 Lapua. I know that everyone has opinions about caliber, I'm not wanting to hash old threads.
I am finally able to consider a custom rifle ($$$) and I reload my own, I shot for the Navy, I've competed at Dam neck, Va, invited to Camp Perry, etc... I really want to hone my skills and maybe get a 800+ yard elk or mule deer.
I am a little scared after reading about some 1.5+years to get a gun. I want to canvass the 'hide to get some real time stories/opinions. I'm located in Oklahoma and have some great opportunities that I need a long legged round for.
As I said earlier, this is my first posting, I have to say I am impressed so far with the Non-smart aleck responses. Thanks to all who have commented. </div></div>

In that you are in OK would think <span style="font-weight: bold">Surgeon</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">Jon</span>. Just my thoughts

My experience with Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifes gives little to no reason to look further for a smith. The .260 he built me hammers the 140BTLRs into the low to mid .1s. Truely a 1 hole 5 shot rifle @ 100y. In fact, whatever I shoot through it has never shot over the .6s (load development).

I think Ray Charles could shoot sub moa with a Gradous built gun.

In short, you can't go wrong with Robert.

You can't go wrong with Jered and the crew at APA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Navysh00ter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good points made. I want a bean field shooter, tactical stock, and I am leaning toward a .338 Lapua. I know that everyone has opinions about caliber, I'm not wanting to hash old threads.
As I said earlier, this is my first posting, I have to say I am impressed so far with the Non-smart aleck responses. Thanks to all who have commented. </div></div>

Here's one ready to go.
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=83

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out GA Precision www.gaprecision.com </div></div>

Click the link, buy the rifle, thank Rob later....

Dave Bruno of Bruno precision rifles. Dave is an established world record bench rest shooter. And many of his guns have placed 1st in bench class and F class matches. he is building me a 300winmag currently. Here is a link to a rifle he build:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

his buddy does extremely nice wood stocks. carves them by hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Navysh00ter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to the forum, stepping up to my first custom rifle. Straight shot gunsmithing and vandyke look promising. I would like any opinions. Thanks in advance!</div></div> everyone has an opinion on their builders and are not scared to tell you about it. All that I have seen list are top notch builders. You would best suited if you take some time and figure out what you want and what it will be used for and then contact some of the builders and talk to them. Find out price, components, and the time frame and come to an informed decision. I am having a build done right now by Mike Bush at Skunk Works but I also have a GAP rifle and it is awesome. Both are good to discuss with and will take the time to get it right. When you are paying big bucks for these rifles get the best you can. You will also find that the top builders rifles also hold their own in terms of resale. If you spend some time on the Fire Arms sale section for anytime you will see what I am talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Navysh00ter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm located in Oklahoma and have some great opportunities that I need a long legged round for.</div></div>

I don't know if it is open to everyone but a friend of mine drove up to Prague to see how Surgeon builds their rifles. If you are not just tire kicking call them and ask.

Where in OK? I probably have some friends in your neck of the woods.

I received my first APA from Jered last Ferburary. It arrived precisely on time and was, and is, worth every penny. The best way to describe it is high functional art. Absolute tack driver. Just do a search on here for APA, or Jered Joplin, and you'll see nothing but glowing reviews. Just incredible.

Jason

I, too, will vouch for APA. They do good work.

Pretty much every builder here gets good reviews. Buy from someone who supports this site, and you will be off on the right foot.

APA is the absolute best. Lockheed just got them to make the hosts for the One Shot program. All my other rifles are gathering dust...

APA without question. I have talked to most of the named builders before I decided what I wanted to build. Jered talked to me and explained everything. Others..just said to figure out what I want and they will build it. The decision was easy.

APA all the way. Jared and his crews did some amazing job even some big customer name Sam choose APA to do the work. This is the test rifle posted by Bookhound aka Mark the office manager at APA. The rifle will be send to Lockheed Martin,but the big customer want a rifle that very accurate to narrow down an error if the "One Shot" scope is miss the target then LM can't blame it on the rifle because it build by APA.
I figure if the big customer choose APA to build a test rifle out of many top builders out there, that's say some thing about the APA.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=431946

I have a Roscoe rifle (LA Precision) that is all that anyone could ask for and I also just had some work done by Jon Beanland that was outstanding, he is a nice guy and his turn time was smokin fast.

Ive owned guns built by GAP, Alan Brown and Bob White. All have shot extremely accurate and fit and finish is top notch.

I chose GAP based on their reputation for producing outstanding custom rifles. Don't, however, expect them to be calling you with updates. If you are one that prefers to be kept abreast as to what is happening, then look for someone else. GAP fails on the personal, emotional aspect of the custom build process.....only if you are the kind of person that requires it.

BigHorn Arms (Mark Chanlynn)- get his custom action!
Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs
GA Precision
Beanland

Short Action Customs

Mark Gordon does amazing work, and when i start my SPR project, i'll be going to him

I went through the process of selecting a builder too just a short time ago. There's no shortage of great folks out here. Budget, timing, specific details, personal preference, or what ever, there's plenty to choose from that will build you exactly what you need / want.

We ended up ordering a Skunkworks Infidel but haven't ruled out ordering a second rifle from another builder.

One item that I think should be discussed with a rifle builder is throat depth. Chances are he has only one reamer and that is what you get. But maybe you can get him to tell you how deep the throat is, or even better the name and number of a previous client that reloads and you can call him and discuss this issue. Is it a match reamer? Is it tight chamber reamer? etc. Maybe call his reamer manufacturer and discuss.

Also, some recievers can accept AW magazines which give you additional length. Also there ARE AI magazine clones that give you additional length. But the recievers have to accept these longer rounds. Does he know anything about this? (Remington recievers can be modified to accept longer rounds, I am not totally sure about this issue).

Some rifle builders know how to build a rifle throated for Bergers (GAP is one). Does your builder know how to do this? Can he order a custom throat reamer?

I've been really pleased by my rifle built by RW Snyder. He is a sponsor here on the hide and does excellent work at reasonable prices and lead times. His customer service is excellent and he is more than willing to answer any questions that you may have prior to, during, and after your build is complete. RW Snyder Gunsmithing

I wouldn't have a problem with having any of the smith's on this board build my rifle. It basically comes down to personal preference really. I'm sure any of the smith's here can build you what you want to your specs or point you in the right direction.

I went with Mark @ Short Action Customs for my build rather than any of the other excellent smith's for basically one reason:

He was a helicopter mechanic in the Marines. I'm an aircraft maintainer in the .mil myself, so it's close to home for me.