• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Choosing a high end European scope

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I am thinking of getting a new scope and have narrowed my choices to the following:
S&B 5-25
Steiner Tactical 5-25X56
Kahles K624i

I read the reviews here, and they all seem to be very close to each other. The biggest delta seems to be the price with a new S&B about $500-600 more than either of two.
Before reading the Steiner and Kahles reviews, I was set on getting a used S&B, but now, I am not so certain.
Are there any features/etc that may set one scope from all others?
The only scopes I have experience with so far is Leupold MK4 and MK6 - and I am happy with both. My use will be primarily for paper punching, and possibly competition.
Thanks!

Re: Choosing a high end European scope

Of the 3 you listed I would get the S&B, reason why is they are proven product with years of service, the other 2 are relatively new to the seen.

I was just about to say, kahles isn't new at all maybe new to the US tactical market, but as far as making high end optics that aren't over priced... Hardly.
Don't get me wrong, expensive, but I feel you really get what you pay for at $3100.

I was in the same market about two months ago, I ended up going with the k624i... Love it, optics are second to none, parallax is bitchin, simple crisp knobs... Really can't asked for anything more.

Oh yeah, and when German shit just isn't good enough... Head on down to Austria and get a real scope!

I love my new S&B PM II H2CMR. The reticle and the double turn turrets were what set it apart for me (Beyond the clarity). It is a sad day though as I am moving and need to sell it after waiting months for it. Once I am settled I hope to buy one again. SportOptics was good to me when I bought mine.

Given your scope list the S&B is tops. A nice rule is "What you would take if it was free". Thats the one you really want. Just save up for a while more and keep your eyes on the used market. It is surprising what you can buy if you look and wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given your scope list the S&B is tops. A nice rule is "What you would take if it was free". Thats the one you really want. Just save up for a while more and keep your eyes on the used market. It is surprising what you can buy if you look and wait. </div></div>

Haha, that's the same line the Snap-On guy uses when he visits my shop.