• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choosing a new rifle.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Okay, here's where I'm at. I have a couple of AR's, one in .223, one in .300 BLK, a spare .223 barrel and tools to swap out the BLK to .223 or build another upper when I want, so I'm as good as I would like to be in AR type rifles.

I also have a couple of hunting rifles. They are milsurp K31's in 7.5x55 Swiss. Accurate and powerful. I reload for them and they'll handle anything I hunt.

So, I've got $900 - $1000 to drop on another rifle. Glass is not an issue as I've just picked up an IOR 10x42 MP8 from a fellow Hide member.

I currently load 7.5x55, .223 and .308.

I'm considering a few different options but would like some input. I will shoot an occasional match, maybe get some additional training but mostly informal target shooting, practice and load development.

First is a CG-63. I have access to a couple of rifles that have already been altered to accept a scope. Caliber is 6.5x55 and has excellent characteristics. I owned one of these rifles previously, had to sell when I lost my job and have always wanted one scoped.

Next is a M28/76. Like many folks, I've always wanted a TKIV 85 but it doesn't look promising anytime in the near future.

http://www.estonianarms.com/2876.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

It's at the top of my price range but is almost the most rare. I know that I'll have to alter the rifle to accept a scope mount but I'm not planning on selling if I do the deal.

Now the practical side of me says do something more modern and in .223. Cheaper to load and shoot. I already have the dies.

There's the stock Remgington and Savage. Some can be had with stock upgrades. I've had both rifles in the past in .308, a 5R and a Savage 12 LVP. Both were accurate and attractive. The 5r shot a little better out of the box but the Savage is easier to rebarrel.

I'm considering a CZ 527, Tikka T3 Varmint, Remington, Savage (although I would like to have something that won't need a rebarrel and a stock swap) The Savage 12 BVSS looks pretty good for some F-TR work but would be heavy. But if I do another Savage, I'll probably just go with a Stevens and do a PacNor or Lothar Walther barrel and try to pick up a stock at a decent price. The CZ and Tikka already have detachable mags and that is a plus.

I know that's a lot of information but what say you. All input is welcome. Keep in mind this is something of a "fun" rifle for me, actually my first "extra".

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Choosing a new rifle.

Milspec 5r. Nice stock can't beat the out of the box shooter. Save your money and add a dbm at a later date. By the time you shoot the barrel out you will be wanting a custom rig and you will just rebarrel have the action trued and keep rockin.

Re: Choosing a new rifle.

If you just want to burn ammo at targets outside of shooting in a match, then the old surplus military rifles are not a bad choice. The ammo is cheap and most of these guns shoot within a reasonable degree of accuracy in my experience. If you plan to shoot F class, then Savage is the way to go. Pull it out of the box and step up to the line. Otherwise, I would probably go with the Remington for the reasons that bcpdshooter mentioned. If you really want to stay with a 223, then build off of the Savage action, handload the 75-90 class bullets and that will allow you to shoot out to 1000 yds.

Hi there

I have noticed that quite a many of you guys are interested in the finnish made Valmet 7.62 Tkiv 85 sniper rifle (7.62 Tkiv 85 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and yes you can not buy that gun from anywhere but what you can do is build your own. So where I'm going with this is that I currently have one 7.62 Tkiv-85 stock in my hands that I could sell if someone would like to build their own Tkiv-85.

P.s I might be able to get more through my contacts.

Contact me if interested.

[email protected] TKIV-85-1.jpgTKIV-85-2.jpgTKIV-85-3.jpgTKIV-85-4.jpg