• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Choosing scope. Fixed vs Variable.

knighthawk001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Ive had my Weatherby 300wby mag sitting in my gun cabinet without a scope for far too long. I found some good deals on scopes at opticsplanet and wanted an opinion on the 2. I would be shooting on average 200-500 yards. Would like to try 1000 yard shot if I can find a place to do it.

1st is a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40
I like the simplicity of this scope. Less to break. Seems more rugged. Cheaper. Gets the job done.

2nd is a Millett 6-25X56mm LRS-1 Long Range Tactical Riflescope
I like that its got variable power, 35mm tube, and a huge 56mm objective for that wide angle zoom. Comes with 35mm rings.

After buying rings for the Bushnell the Millet would cost about $120 more since it comes with rings already.

Im leaning towards the Bushnell but that millet is alot of scope for only $120 more. Im up in the air on this one lol

Re: Choosing scope. Fixed vs Variable.

The millet is SFP I believe. Which in my opinion you should always go FFP or fixed. Here is why. If you're going to range your target with your mildots or use your mildots for corrections you need to know the distance between them. On a fixed or FFP there is no math involved and results in extremely fast follow up shots. This is critical to be able to provide a follow up shot before wind changes at longer ranges. I would definately go with the Bushy in this case. I've had one of those scopes and my brother still runs one. They are tough and hard to beat for the money. The next step up is one of the SWFA fixed scopes. Then you can't do any better until you get up to the PST in my opinion.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The millet is SFP I believe. Which in my opinion you should always go FFP or fixed. Here is why. If you're going to range your target with your mildots or use your mildots for corrections you need to know the distance between them. On a fixed or FFP there is no math involved and results in extremely fast follow up shots. This is critical to be able to provide a follow up shot before wind changes at longer ranges. I would definately go with the Bushy in this case. I've had one of those scopes and my brother still runs one. They are tough and hard to beat for the money. The next step up is one of the SWFA fixed scopes. Then you can't do any better until you get up to the PST in my opinion.

Good luck,
Merritt</div></div>

Thanks for the reply. Some good points there. I think I will get the Bushnell.

Ranging is best done via a LRF

function of scope should be determined by use, hard to beat a variable for functionality

thou if your rarely gonna shoot 1k a 10x supersniper would be a good choice

Depends on the main purpose of the rifle. If hunting big game 10x is a lot of power (unless hunting in wide open areas..dont know where you are from) and would be better off with the variable since fov is better when turned down.

The Bushnell is a good scope for the money. Get the mil/mil Midway version. I have one on my lightweight hunting rifle. It's not ideal, but with a mini-red dot mounted at 45 degrees for close shots and the ability to dial elevation for anything over 100 yards, it's a lightweight, cheap, functional rifle. These scopes feel rugged, especially for their light weight. I agree with the above that a Vortex PST is an excellent scope for the money if you can save a little while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had my Weatherby 300wby mag sitting in my gun cabinet without a scope for far too long... </div></div> ....Nice Rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I would be shooting on average 200-500 yards. Would like to try 1000 yard shot if I can find a place to do it. </div></div>
Since the Weatherby isn't exactly a bench rifle, a 200-500 yard shot for hunting is a reasonable shot. Don't worry about shooting 1k yds, and especially don't even consider that when researching a scope for hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st is a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40...
</div></div> I like the compactness of the 40 mm Obj, but limiting yourself to just 10X for all hunting shots is demanding too much. If you get that deer or pig that walks out on you at 40 yards, you are going to spend precious seconds, or minutes trying to find it in your scope. They'll likley see your or catch your scent before you can find them in the 10 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2nd is a Millett 6-25X56mm LRS-1 Long Range Tactical Riflescope...</div></div>
That IMHO is just too much power for hunting out to 500 yards. It also starts at 6x which is too much even for those 100 yard shots. You field of view is going to be seriously narrow when you need to see if there is a larger buck standing next to the one you want to shoot, or if there is a doe that is going to take it in the boiler room unintentionally. On top of that the 56 mm Obj. is HUGE for a hunting scope. Remember you need to pack that scope around all day, and maybe crawl through some brush with it.

Don't limit your options. Look to the Leupold VX 2's. They are the old VX 3's believe it or not. Go for a variable 3-9, or 4-12 with nothing larger than a 40mm Obj.

My $.02 anyway. But I am an avid hunter.

As pointed out above, if you're going to be hunting primarily, I would lean towards a variable power. I like to sit in the stand / walk with my scopes down on a low power, and then once you see something you want to take a look at, its easier to find the object and then crank up the power to zoom in.

I attempted a few hunts with a fixed 10 a couple seasons back.

Negative. Lesson learned. I'll take a mid range variable for 90% of my uses.

howdy has any of yall used a 3-12x44 weaver kadpa and would it bee ok for a inty level scope.

I dont do alot of hunting except for deer in Missouri. I like to use my Rem 700 7mm-08 for that. I use a Simmons 6.5-20 50mm on that gun (got it for a steal)

The Weatherby fell into my lap and its just something I tinker around with. I dont plan on hunting with this gun (over kill). I thought it would be a good medium-long range bench gun but maybe I am wrong...
20120218_144117.jpg

I think you said you weren't going to hunt with the rifle, but that is more of a hunting rifle than anything else. I'd put a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 with the varmint hunter reticle on it if you do consider hunting with it.

i'm in agreement with 603. a 4-14 variable would be a good all around scope to put on that gun. i like leupolds but if thats pushing your price range look at the redfields maybe. i've found the redfields to be good scopes for the price. (i believe theyre made by the same company)

back to the original post. of the two my vote would be for a variable power

I ended up buying the bushnell 10x40 but may or may not use it on the 300wby mag. Now im looking for a variable scope for that can hold up to the recoil of this gun and not break the bank. I dont want to spend alot. I see you guys suggested a 4-14 but would a 6-20x50mm be to much magnification for a hunting application say 30-50 yard on average. I found these Simmons 6-20x50mm scopes at midway for a good price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168462/...t-reticle-matte

Shooting a scope dialed UP T0 20 power off-hand without support is difficult. The slightest muscle movement and your reticle is bouncing around off target.
If it is all going to be bench work, then no problem with 20 power.
The .300 Wthby Mag is an ass-kicker of a cartridge to shoot off a bag being that lightweight. You'll soon want to put a muzzle brake on it, fill the stock with lead, or relinquish it to hunting duty.
Weatherby has a different philosophy on chambering / jump to lands, and because of such I don't know anyone who primarily shoots one long-distances.

I do have a Harris bi-pod im putting on it. I dont plan on shooting 20x without some kind of support for the gun. I figured 6x would be good for off hand shooting while still having a 20x for bench shooting.

I installed a recoil pad that helped alot with the recoil so that doesnt bother me so much anymore. Shooting from a prone position the recoil might be a little more noticeable :p

I had a weatherby like yours years ago, a bench rifle it is not, it is purely a hunting rifle, it will reach to a 1000 yds but not all day long, maybe a few shot now and then. Stick with the bushnell 10X that is all you'll need ever.

I've used both and will always go variable from now on, except perhaps for special purposes like a 1x red dot.

There is simply too much value in having a both a high zoom and the ability to drop down for larger field of view or when the mirage gets to be overwhelming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had my Weatherby 300wby mag sitting in my gun cabinet without a scope for far too long. I found some good deals on scopes at opticsplanet and wanted an opinion on the 2. I would be shooting on average 200-500 yards. Would like to try 1000 yard shot if I can find a place to do it.

1st is a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40
I like the simplicity of this scope. Less to break. Seems more rugged. Cheaper. Gets the job done.

2nd is a Millett 6-25X56mm LRS-1 Long Range Tactical Riflescope
I like that its got variable power, 35mm tube, and a huge 56mm objective for that wide angle zoom. Comes with 35mm rings.

After buying rings for the Bushnell the Millet would cost about $120 more since it comes with rings already.

Im leaning towards the Bushnell but that millet is alot of scope for only $120 more. Im up in the air on this one lol
</div></div>Well buddy, if I were keeping my range no longer than 600 yards, I would rather have the 10x fixed myself. I'm like you in that I like a no-fuss scope, and the fixed 10x is what a lot of military snipers use to good effect.

Now, a grand? I personally would want more than a 10x, but that is just me. I have never fired at a target any further than 600 yards distant so I have no 1,000 yard advice, but at 600 yards that target can get small even with 10x magnification.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont do alot of hunting except for deer in Missouri. I like to use my Rem 700 7mm-08 for that. I use a Simmons 6.5-20 50mm on that gun (got it for a steal)

The Weatherby fell into my lap and its just something I tinker around with. I dont plan on hunting with this gun (over kill). I thought it would be a good medium-long range bench gun but maybe I am wrong...
20120218_144117.jpg
</div></div>Damn, nice rifle!
cool.gif

Was looking at vortex scopes. Are these any good? I found this one Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. Do you think its strong enough for the recoil?

I ended up going with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Mil-Dot scope which I got a good deal on. Im going to throw the Bushnell 10x40 on a Remington 700 SPS-V .308. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

I see you already purchased the scope but... I have both the bushnell 10x40 and the Millett TRS-1 4-16. I personally hate the Millett. The quality is not anywhere near what the bushnell is. Not to mention it is almost twice the size!!!

UPDATE:

I recieved my scopes along with the base and rings. 1st, the Bushnell 10x40 which im going to use on another gun looks fantastic. It has a quality feel to it and the glass is clear. I cant wait to mount it.

I bought Burris base and extreme mount for the 300wby and a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff scope with mil-dot. This scope had great reviews and seems to be a quality piece. I went with medium rings but im thinking I might have been better off with low rings. Im afraid the bolt handle will be too close to the scope with the lower rings though... any thoughts? My eye seems pretty flush with the scope as is.

Here are some pictures for an idea on ring size
20120715_151807.jpg

20120715_151847.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

20120715_151847.jpg
</div></div>
You could of got away with the lows but if you ever go to a 50mm you will have plenty of room now. But if i was you i would move the front ring up alittle so it doesnt hang. and push the back ring up one also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DannyDifalco</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knighthawk001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

20120715_151847.jpg
</div></div>
You could of got away with the lows but if you ever go to a 50mm you will have plenty of room now. But if i was you i would move the front ring up alittle so it doesnt hang. and push the back ring up one also.</div></div>

Unfortunately with the limited space on the scope base thats the only way it would fit. Believe me I tried but the scope/base/rings wont allow for it. Its not as bad as it looks in that picture, its barely hanging over.

I decided to just keep the medium rings since im comfortable with them. I bore sighted the scope and had it on center after 2 shots. Its holding a consistent 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards using Weatherby 180 Grain Norma Spitzer ammo. I cant afford the $80 box stuff right now lol