• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Chopping a barrel...

UCChris

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Utah, USA
I'm in the process of making a lightweight coyote gun for the western desert out here. I have chosen the .243 caliber since I can also bag the occasional deer with it (assuming I draw out). It's not unusual for me to hike an excess of 15 miles when I go out varmint hunting, so I'm trying to make this gun super light and super short. I want to cut the barrel down to 16.5". The barrel in question is a 1:9 twist. I realize this isn't ideal for .243, but I'm only shooting, at most, 500 meters and under at coyotes. More like 300 meters, but 500 meters is not an unrealistic shot out here. I'm definitely keeping deer under 200-300 meters though. Even if I can only get a 95 grain Berger VLD to hit 2500 fps (handloading, of course), it should still work for 500m and under yeah? Though, from what I've read, 2700 fps sounds attainable.

Thoughts? Besides "you're stupid", "what are you thinking", blah blah blah...

:confused: