• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chopping a bbl

JPiantedosi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
What goes into chopping a rifle? Is it as simple as cutting and crowning? Does it need to be done on a lathe? I assume a chop saw is out of the question due to heat generated......

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Depends on the end quality desired. I cut a 10/22 barrel down using a cutoff wheel, cleaned it up with a file, and crowned it up with a countersink. It holds honest 1/2" 10 shot groups at 30 yards, and I'm okay with that. Would I take a cutoff wheel to a $350 bartlein blank? Nope.

To cut down a centerfire barrel would take a lathe, measuring, patience, and contjnual checking to ensure a quality completed product. If it's your first time, ask the local gunshop if they have any takeoff barrels you can practice on first.

The issue is doing it correctly with hand tools is not an easy task (for a precision rifle). You must have the cut and crown perfectly perpendicular to the bore. Also putting a 11 degree crown and slight bevel will cost for the cutter and pilot. Can it be done, Yes.

Around here in Northern Colorado a cut and crown runs anywhere from $60-80 dollars from a qualified smith.

Now for a cheap surplus beater, a hacksaw, square, and a round file drill bit and you are in business.

I used a lathe on my mosin nagant to cut the barrel. Left it chucked up then took some sand paper spun it and rounded of the muzzle and cleaned up the inside of the bore at the muzzle with the sand paper. Worked good and rifle is still accurate. I would not however do this on my rem 700p I would buy the appropriate tools, and do it on the lathe with a lot more patience.

Well this rifle is my prairie dog rifle and 500yd paper puncher so I suppose I'll bite the bullet and find a smith or buy a bbl. Thanks guys.

Jim

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

There's a tool that you can buy to crown a barrel with a hand drill; it has interchangeable pilots and cutters so it fits different barrel bores and applications. It will put a perfectly square crown on a barrel. It's way too expensive to buy for one crown, but it's cheaper than a lathe, an education to use the lathe, a barrel vise, and an action wrench.
Of course now I can't find it with a Google search.

You make a rough cut with just about any saw that can handle the job; you cut a small bit on the long side. Then you indicate the barrel in a lathe to square the muzzle down to length and cut the crown.