• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Chopping down a .243

tx outlaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Texas
I got one of the Dick's Sporting Goods ADL Varmint specials on black friday in .243, and I'm thinking about getting the barrel chopped down to something under 20". Thoughts? What short barrel length would be ideal? I was thinking 18", but I don't really have any reason for picking that number. I am envisioning a handy, light(ish) weight deer/varmint gun for mostly sub-300yd shots, topped with something like a 2-7 scope.

What do y'all think about chopping the barrel? Good idea? Bad idea? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Re: Chopping down a .243

18" would be bad-ass!! i'm still thinking about chopping my 5R down to 18" should still have no prob..hitting 1K still.

Sounds cool, however, that barrel is only good for 1500+ rounds before you may want a new barrel. Barrel + install is $650 to $750 to install. Only you can determine if it is worth the cost to go 18in or save up for the rebarrel. Hey have fun. I also pickup one in 308. So far I have sold all the parts and have a barrel on order with Mr. Bugholes (6.5 8.5twist m24) for a 260 rem project.

Regards

Cutting the legs out from a .243 doesn't sound great to me. What makes a 243 great is velocity. Take that away and you might as well have a 308.

I cut my 243 win 26" barrel down to 21". Shooting 105 vld with 26" barrel / H1000 was at 2995 fps avg. Now with 21" barrel its at 2880 fps. I have used H4350 and is about 30-40 fps faster than H1000, and would be a better powder with shorted barrel.

I'm pretty happy with shorter barrel, its more handier to handle. It all depends on what you what, and what you plan to do with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Dog Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cutting the legs out from a .243 doesn't sound great to me. What makes a 243 great is velocity. Take that away and you might as well have a 308.</div></div>
So what barrel length do you think is ideal? Should I keep it at 26"? 22"?

There was a member here (BgBamboo??) who cut down a Tikka T3 Lite to 16.5" or so, and braked it. He was using it primarily for predator calling. He seemed to be doing well with it, and loved the rig.

Just depends what you want.

I am curious to see how it turns out for you. Be sure and update the thread with the results if you end up doing it.

Spend the money on ammo, an just shoot it.

I have a 21" 243 in the make. Waiting on my barrel to get back from being fluted. It's a hunting rig so the barrel will last a while. I plan to shoot the 105's with 4350. If I can get close to 2900fps, ill be more than pleased.

We often worry about cutting barrels down, but keep in mind a large majority of "sporter" weight factory hunting rifles have barrels that are only 20"-22" and they have been killing shit for decades. No, you won't get max velocity, but as you should know, it's always a trade off.

With a 28" barrel I can send 115DTACs at 3300 fps

Of course I have an Ackley Improved
smile.gif

Most people I know feel like 26" is the minimum.

Run some loads through any ballistic software and decide for yourself
smile.gif

CUT it There are guys shooting 5.56 out of an 18 out to 1000yrds..
if all you want is 300 maybe 500 you ought be be able to do that easy