• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chris Kyle's system

ancientmariner

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2010
Europe
Just wondering. What was he using back there in Iraq? I only read the rifle was chambered in 338 LM. Scope? Reticle? ballistic software?

Re: Chris Kyle's system

He doesn't say much about his rifles in the book, but he does say he was using a 300WM mostly. He mentions the 338 only once - when he smoked a dude about to fire an RPG off a rooftop.

I thought he mentioned his rifle pretty clearly in his book. If my memory is right, it was a Surgeon built 300 Win Mag shooting Black Hills ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kengel2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought he mentioned his rifle pretty clearly in his book. If my memory is right, it was a Surgeon built 300 Win Mag shooting Black Hills ammo. </div></div>

I asked about the 338 LM rifle.

The .300WM was was a trued remington in a Mcmillan stock made at Crane. The .338LM maker wasn't specified in the book. He mentions they were made by AI and Mcmillan from the pic in the book it looks like a Mcmillan TAC338 to me. Could be another Remington. I just finished reading the book last night and have it sitting here next to me so I looked it up. Scope he said in the article was a Nightforce.

You beat me to it I just went to look it up as well. I know for sure that his 300WM was a Remington. Theres only one pic in the book of the 338 so I dont know who made it.

The 338: Folding stock AI with a nightforce in 338 if what I recall. It had a muzzle break and no suppressor.

If I remember correctly the 338 was actually owned by his chief wasnt it?

Thanks guys. He is probably somewhere on the hide reading our suppositions
grin.gif

Here is the rifle that Chris used for his longest shot while in Iraq.

ChrisKyle14.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ancient Mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. He is probably somewhere on the hide reading our suppositions
grin.gif
. </div></div>

I'd say he is to busy running his school.

I just read the book, "The Red Circle" by Brandon Webb.

Webb ran the SEAL Sniper School when Kyle went through.

This book tells a lot of what rifles the SEALs use.

As a side not, Marcus Luttrell credits Brandon Webb as saving his life ref the Lone Surviver incident, what he was taught by Webb regarding the stalking phase of the sniper school.

According to Webb's book, Marcus had difficulty with the stalking phase and flucked the school his first attemt. On his second attempt Webb took him under his wing and taught him stalking.

Meeting Marcus and having Marcus credit Webb with saving his life Webb says was the proudest monent of his life.

If you want to learn about SEAL sniping I highly recommend Webbs books.

As a side note, not to raise hackles on Marines and Seals but the Seal Sniper school, According to Webb used the Army Marksmanship Unit for their Marksmanship Phase of the SEAL Sniper School.

The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen by Brandon Webb

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-red-circle-brandon-webb/1108180506?ean=9780312604226

I just finished his book last week.

He mentions using a Mk12, Mk11, an M40, and a .338 (I believe an AI).

He also mentions he wasn't a fan of the .50 and he carried an M4 kicking doors on DA's.

The .300WM was his prefered and go to rifle.

He mentions using and liking Nightforce optics.

I don't recall if he mentioned his reticle but presume it was a Mil-dot and I don't recall any mention of any type of ballistics software.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just read the book, "The Red Circle" by Brandon Webb.

Webb ran the SEAL Sniper School when Kyle went through.

This book tells a lot of what rifles the SEALs use.

As a side not, Marcus Luttrell credits Brandon Webb as saving his life ref the Lone Surviver incident, what he was taught by Webb regarding the stalking phase of the sniper school.

According to Webb's book, Marcus had difficulty with the stalking phase and flucked the school his first attemt. On his second attempt Webb took him under his wing and taught him stalking.

Meeting Marcus and having Marcus credit Webb with saving his life Webb says was the proudest monent of his life.

If you want to learn about SEAL sniping I highly recommend Webbs books.

As a side note, not to raise hackles on Marines and Seals but the Seal Sniper school, According to Webb used the Army Marksmanship Unit for their Marksmanship Phase of the SEAL Sniper School.

The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen by Brandon Webb

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-red-circle-brandon-webb/1108180506?ean=9780312604226 </div></div>

I bought the book for my Kindle based on your post. Looking forward to getting to it sometime.

You will enjoy that book. I read it at least 3-4 times while I was on deployment along with Chris Kyle's book as well. Great read.

I read the book a month or so ago, he used the 300 win mag MK13 mod 0, a McMillan 338, and both aTAC 50 and a Barrett and said he didn't like his semi auto KAC gun as it was not that accurate. He mentions that GA Precision his is builder of choice. 5.5-22x56 NF on all of those rifles also. Great book!!

I guess I will have to reread my book. I read it not to long after it came out. I remember 0n the 300WM was topped with a 8-32 NF. On the 338LM that looks like Leupold to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the rifle that Chris used for his longest shot while in Iraq.

ChrisKyle14.jpg
</div></div>

Those do not look like Nightforce turrets. Look more like Leupold M5s

I dont think that he ever used the MK12. He used the Mk11 which is 7.62.

I believe the .300 Win mag was a Crane built Mark 13 Mod ?.

Not sure about the .338 though.

Wally

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think that he ever used the MK12. He used the Mk11 which is 7.62. </div></div>

I recall that he used both, as situation/assignment dictated.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the rifle that Chris used for his longest shot while in Iraq.

ChrisKyle14.jpg
</div></div>

Those do not look like Nightforce turrets. Look more like Leupold M5s </div></div>

M5 turrets are bigger with a push-button detent on top. Those are M1 turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the rifle that Chris used for his longest shot while in Iraq.

ChrisKyle14.jpg
</div></div>

Those do not look like Nightforce turrets. Look more like Leupold M5s </div></div>

M5 turrets are bigger with a push-button detent on top. Those are M1 turrets.</div></div>

M5A turret has the locking elevation turret with the push button. M5 turrets look just like M1 turrets except they're in mils...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the rifle that Chris used for his longest shot while in Iraq.

ChrisKyle14.jpg
</div></div>

M5 turrets are bigger with a push-button detent on top. Those are M1 turrets. </div></div>

The M5 turrets on my Mark 4 ERT look exactly like the ones in the picture. No push button on top. The turrets with the push button on top are new within the last year. But none the less, that looks like a Leupold scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly it was a Tac 338 according to McMillan.
There's also this http://www.americanspecialops.com/special-ops-weapons/tac-338-sniper-rifle.php </div></div>

Nice. Wasn't it a TAC-50 Rob Furlong used when he held the record? Might have to take a closer look at McMillan's rifles.

300WM was his favorite. He used a SR-25, 16" barreled 5.56, 338LM and 50 BMG which he said he didnt really care forthe 50. He loved his .300WM. He also mentions GA Precision in the article in American Rifleman Magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghostdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly it was a Tac 338 according to McMillan.
There's also this http://www.americanspecialops.com/special-ops-weapons/tac-338-sniper-rifle.php </div></div>

Nice. Wasn't it a TAC-50 Rob Furlong used when he held the record? Might have to take a closer look at McMillan's rifles. </div></div>

Yes it was.

Current "record" is with a .338LM AI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghostdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly it was a Tac 338 according to McMillan.

Nice. Wasn't it a TAC-50 Rob Furlong used when he held the record? Might have to take a closer look at McMillan's rifles. </div></div>

It is the driver/drivers....not the tool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghostdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_Lamz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly it was a Tac 338 according to McMillan.

It is the driver/drivers....not the tool </div></div>

I don't disagree. I just haven't paid much attention to McMillan rifles before. I believe the wait times on them are less than a lot of the custom guys out there and that would be a big plus in my book.

It was a Tac 50 he used.... and a fixed 16 power Mark 4 Leupold on top.