• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle Vs Tikka T3X Tac

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I have a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 223. How does this compare against the Christensen Arms MPR 223? Are they pretty close in accuracy? What about long term durability??? I’m thinking of getting something new and wanted opinions on these two. Thanks

Are there any Christensen arms owners here for feedback?

Pretty sure @FuhQ has like 5 of these things. No idea if any are .223 though.

I had one for like 12 seconds before I sold it… That’s about how long it took me to figure out I was going to keep my Tikka. Didn’t even bother shooting it.

That said, it’s your money and sometimes you just get an itch you need to scratch. I wouldn’t tell you to go pay MSRP for one, but if you find a deal then fuckin send’er bud.

Matter of fact I could have sworn I saw one pop up on here not long back. Might be worth digging around for.

Are there any Christensen arms owners here for feedback?
I have 5 CA rifles, but none in .223. Two Rigelines, two MPR’s, and a Ranger 22.

All have been excellent (sub-1/2 MOA with handloads for the centerfires & sub-MOA for the .22) except the MPR in 6mm ARC. Which has been at Christensen for a couple months, and they discovered it was defective, so their Senior Gunsmith built me a whole new rifle on a new action, chassis, etc… and tested it before shipping it out Friday to guarantee it is performing up to snuff. Should be back at my FFL someday this week. He said it was shooting 0.7’s with factory ammo right out of the gate, so I have high hopes with my handloads.

Despite the rifle having issues, CA’s customer service has been excellent to deal with. I won’t hesitate to buy one again. I feel confident that if there is ever any issue, they would resolve it. 👍🏼

Reactions: match308
Tikka it is then
Tikka is not a bad rifle, but understand beforehand, that the aftermarket for them is extremely limited, compared to a Christensen, which uses a 700 footprint, so any 700 stock, trigger, etc… is compatible with them.

I’m not saying get one or the other, just wanting you to know what you’re getting into before dropping the coin. Also, the MPR chassis is really nice, and fully-adjustable. The folding mech on them is really tight with zero wiggle or play.

I bought a MPR 6.5 shortly after they came out. It came with a short chamber (.003” shorter than SAAMI minimum) and wouldn’t chamber factory ammo. I decided to size some brass back to see how it shot and it shot pretty well. I contact Christensen about the issue and requested that the chamber just be reamed on the existing barrel since it shot ok and they said they would. A month or so later I got the rifle back with a replacement barrel instead that shot like ass. It was MOA ish for 2-3 shots and then would just diagonally string and open up to 4moa+ for 5 shots. They replaced the whole rifle after that and I sold the new rifle before ever shooting it.

Needless to say I won’t buy another one, they’re junk. I would keep your Tikka and be happy with it unless you want to throw down the cash for a custom action with a prefit.

The Tikka is a great rifle, but if you want it to do double duty, the MPR is around 2 lbs lighter. It also takes AICS mags instead of proprietary $100 Tikka mags.
The Tikka is basically a complete PRS rig right out of the box, just make sure you get a mount with 20 MOA worth of cant since it's a 0 MOA rail.

Reactions: FuhQ
The Tikka is a great rifle, but if you want it to do double duty, the MPR is around 2 lbs lighter. It also takes AICS mags instead of proprietary $100 Tikka mags.
The Tikka is basically a complete PRS rig right out of the box, just make sure you get a mount with 20 MOA worth of cant since it's a 0 MOA rail.
The MPR also comes factory with a 20 MOA rail.

Reactions: Grubber