• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms vs alternative carbon barrels

Mjolnir23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
I know proof has the most reviews/media but not willing to pay $900 for a barrel that will get replaced in a couple years tops. What's the consensus on Christensen arms ones?

My grandfather has a Christensen Arms .300 win mag CF barreled rifle. It's about a 3/4-1MOA shooter. We have tried handloading for it and factory ammo, it all shoots about the same in that range. It likes Barnes factory ammo the best.

My Proof Research CF 6.5 SAUM barrel, however, is solidly sub 1/2 MOA. Behaves more like the Bartlein/kreiger/rock creek barrels I'm used to. Shop around and you can find the Proofs for $750-800. I won't use them for cartridges that get less than 2000 rounds barrel life. I wouldn't put it on a PRS rig, the 6.5 SAUM I have is for recreation and hunting so it doesn't see a lot of firing, it will probably last me 5 years or so.

I have a .308 CA and a Proof .300 and 6.5CM. The Proofs both shoot lights out and the CA has never shot worth a damn.

So I'm getting the vibe that the CA are hit or miss based off limited information I have been able to find. I appreciate the help, I'm probably just going to get another Bartlein then.

If you keep the length short enough (under 24 or 22 inches), a Bartlein 3B or #4 is typically within ounces of the CF stuff, and still thick enough to cut muzzle threads if you want them.

Fluting narrows the gap and is still quite a bit cheaper on the whole.

That's kind of the route I am thinking on going. I will start looking at the different contours but looking to have it threaded for my surefire break/can. Like you said if I get the correct size barrel, it's fairly marginal on weight gain over a CF barrel for about 1/3 the price.