• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christmas list for a new M1A / long range shooter

seafury

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
CA
Hello hide fam.

I have been tasked with assembling a Christmas list to begin to equip a family friend with a starter kit for “long range” shooting utilizing an M1A platform. I already had a conversation with the project “lead” on the M1A and its capabilities vs. other platforms. So going foreward, here is where I would appreciate your input.

I’m trying to put together a good, better, best list of parts and components that would be a good starting point for a new shooter. The recipient wont reload so he will be limited to factory ammunition which I relayed would be a pain in the ass to get given he lives in CA and the current ammo panic. Not ideal but again I was asked to do this.

I made sure to iterate that TRAINING would be the most beneficial investment but that hopefully will come later.

Rifle: Springfield M1A with walnut stock - Not limited to Springfield but what would be your ranking
Scope mount
Optic
Cheek Piece for proper eye releief
Bipod and bipod mount for M1A
Spoting scope
LRF
Bags
Tripod that works with all the above

I dunno guys, just let the suggestions fly and I’ll see what suggestions I can put together for the guy.

As always, I appreciate your input and hope all are doing well,

When I built mine (late 80's) national match Air gaged barrels were available thru Springfield Armory. Mine has been a real good shooter with most ammo around 150 grains. You don't mention an optic. If he is going with peeps I hope he has young eyes.

Check with these guys.

Last edited:
I second LRB. Springfield is subpar these days, although they do have excellent warrantee service.
Then again with Lou at LRB, you won't have quality control issues. Also, LRBs are forged receivers compared to cast.
Bassett does make a good mount but may be a bit hard to find. Sadlak is the go to ......
Like mentioned, McMillian stock or pony up for a JAE.

I second LRB. Springfield is subpar these days, although they do have excellent warrantee service.
Then again with Lou at LRB, you won't have quality control issues. Also, LRBs are forged receivers compared to cast.
Bassett does make a good mount but may be a bit hard to find. Sadlak is the go to ......
Like mentioned, McMillian stock or pony up for a JAE.
Here is the Cadillac. No worries about the mount.
M25 RECEIVER........$1,159.95 cc add 3%
WE REDESIGNED OUR STANDARD M14SA RECEIVER BY MACHINING A DOVE TAIL IN THE RING AND CLIP GUIDE AREAS TO ALLOW MOUNTING OF OUR PROPRIETARY M1913 SCOPE RAIL. IRON SIGHTS ARE INTENDED TO BE USED AS BACK UP WITH RAIL INSTALLED AND OPTICS/RINGS REMOVED. INCLUDES RAIL.
EXTENDED SCOPE RAIL (0 MOA or 20 MOA) Available. Click here for details.
SCOPE RINGS: TPS/TSR Series Available. Click here for details.

Backordered, Please call 516-327-9061 or email [email protected] to be added to our wait list

• Love
Reactions: 96coal449
Tell him to just buy one off gunbroker it'll be 1/2 the price of building one. Parts are so crazy expensive it's beyond stupid these days.

Here's the brake he needs for legality it's also bored to NM spec:

Here is the Cadillac. No worries about the mount.
M25 RECEIVER........$1,159.95 cc add 3%
WE REDESIGNED OUR STANDARD M14SA RECEIVER BY MACHINING A DOVE TAIL IN THE RING AND CLIP GUIDE AREAS TO ALLOW MOUNTING OF OUR PROPRIETARY M1913 SCOPE RAIL. IRON SIGHTS ARE INTENDED TO BE USED AS BACK UP WITH RAIL INSTALLED AND OPTICS/RINGS REMOVED. INCLUDES RAIL.
EXTENDED SCOPE RAIL (0 MOA or 20 MOA) Available. Click here for details.
SCOPE RINGS: TPS/TSR Series Available. Click here for details.

Backordered, Please call 516-327-9061 or email [email protected] to be added to our wait list
I always forget about the M25.
Mostly because of the wait periods.

I always forget about the M25.
Mostly because of the wait periods.
LOL.... I too was impatient..... Ask Tony Ben about the lesson I learned about being impatient in the M14 arena......
Buy once, cry once
IMG_3892.JPG

I would suggest:

A Good leather or biothane sling from Turner Saddlery (or another quality match sling).
Extra Mags
Gas Cylinder Wrench
Bolt disassembly tool
A cleaning port tool (keeps the bolt beck while cleaning)
Bolt roller greaser
Castle Nut Pliers (For the muzzle device)

Other cool things:
Bayonet
USGI Stock (can be wood or fiberglass), and you can add a fake fun switch
Sadlak Scope Mount (if they even want to shoot scoped, but I prefer mine with irons)
Adjustable cheek rest that straps on (again, if they want to shoot with a scope)

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
A nice one for sale here on the Hide:

That's a nice one for sale. I have a near identical rifle as the one listed, and I paid more than that 10 years ago. Definitely a good deal.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Nice to see you here Glenn, and Brian!

I recommend:
-LRB M25 rear lugged receiver with 20 MOA rail
-Kreiger, Bartlein, or Lothar-Walther 22" heavy barrel with a 1:10" or 1:11" twist
-GI trigger group with a Shooting Sight EBR trigger
-McMillan M3A stock, bedded with rear pillar and screw with front Picatinny rail for a bipod or a JAE Gen 3 chassis
-Unitized gas cylinder
-GI sights
-GI op-rod
-Sadlak grooved piston
-Sadlak spring guide
-CMI magazines
-Leupold, Nightforce, March, Vortex Razor or US Optics scope
-Atlas bipod
-Optional Schuster vented gas plug to run Berger 185 grain Juggernauts

It would look a lot like this:
9Sjvnokh.jpg

Or this...
uMzTtUeh.jpg

Or this... (this one is actually a double-lugged rifle)
2KN1Ez2h.jpg

I am one of only two gunsmiths that have an account with LRB, so I can put you on my list to order a receiver and other parts and I can build any rifle you need. I also have a dealer account with Lothar Walther and they are coming out with M14 barrels very soon. I recently posted a test video of the one they sent me. I have done three for them over the years.

Tony.

If you're going to scope it, I'll agree with the recommendations above to start with an LRB M25 action and go from there, then there are no worries about fitting a scope mount, which can sometimes be problematic on an M1A as every action manufacturer tends to have slightly different dimensions on the side of the action where the typical scope mounts attach. The LRB M25 on the other hand was designed for optics and uses a scope rail that locks into 2 dovetails on top of the action and it's extremely solid.

I have a Ted Brown built LRB M25 for sale in the px complete with all M1A specific tools, spares, mags, etc, and I'm already in CA so it has a CA friendly brake on it.

It's a great rifle, but I haven't shot it in several years... Just seem to play with bolt rifles a lot more lately and the semis just sit in the safe, or if I do want to shoot a semi I grab one of my JP LRP-07's.

Building an M1A can be quite an ordeal when it comes to sourcing parts. It took a long time for me to find all TRW USGI parts for my build many years ago and it was a long wait for the LRB M25 rear lugged receiver. Initially built it with a McMillan stock while waiting a rather long time for a JAE gen 1, then later waited a long time again to upgrade to a JAE gen 3.

As nice as it was to shoot and after all the time and trouble finding the parts to have it built, I think I enjoyed shooting my rear lugged Fulton Armory Peerless M1A with NM iron sights more, lol. I found that trying to consistently shoot small groups with a scoped M1A can be an exercise in frustration; I found my AR10s more consistent, less picky on maintenance, and easier to clean as you can easily clean from the breech. The M1A is still neat though, but I found it more fun to use my iron sighted Fulton Peerless on steel so I wasn't chasing small groups on paper.

Based off the username and pic in your profile, happen to work with or be tied in with the Sanders family out of Ione?

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will relay your advice to my pops who is trying to get this project all together. As a result of this thread which was started to plan a build for another friend, I find myself probably needing a LRB build for myself just like the one in the last picture by TonyBen above, what a beautiful rifle. Oh and Kiba, yes I know Brian and Dennis but only through my dad who has known them for several years.

many thanks y’all.