• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chrome lined barrel break in.

Dino

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2006
Texas
Do chrome lined barrels need to be broke in the same as non chrome lined?

Re: Chrome lined barrel break in.

it is best to break in all barrels some will break in faster than others but the fine imperfections in the bores finish become smothed out and it also work hardens the bore and then settles so yes it helps.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I go out with my new Stag AR.

Best way to break in a chrome lined barrel is to burn 3 or 4 30 round mags fast and get it smokin hot.

Let it cool off, clean it real good, and you are good to go.

I have some barrels that I have gone through the whole break in process and others that I have not just to see if it would make a difference. I can't tell that there is much to gain from going through it. The barrels that I didn't break in seem to shoot as good as the one that I did.

Just shoot it. No break-in required or necessary for a CL barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DINO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do chrome lined barrels need to be broke in the same as non chrome lined?
</div></div>

Yep, CL CM and SS barrels should all be broken in the same way....

...load, shoot, repeat. Clean when they open up, replace as necessary.

I haven't ever broke in my chrome lined barrells and they shoot just as good as any that have been "broken in".

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DINO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do chrome lined barrels need to be broke in the same as non chrome lined?
</div></div>

Yep, CL CM and SS barrels should all be broken in the same way....

...load, shoot, repeat. Clean when they open up, replace as necessary. </div></div>
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Best way to break in is one round at a time...
smile.gif

I read somewhere (internet story) that the barrel break in came from a barrel builder that was tired of the same question of "barrel Break in" so he came up with one just to make his clients happy.
I think )so did the article) that the barrel break in is a barrel builders dream. A barrel has a limited life so the more time a person spends on "breaking in the barrel" the barrels life is being used up. Second, many people do more damage to the bore when cleaning they they ever would shooting it. Poor cleaning techniques and scrubbing, scrubbing and more scrubbing cant be good for the barrel either, can it??? Add to that, they clean the barrel after every use (more scrubbing) and then have to fire several shots (warm up cold bore) to get the barrel to shoot right.

I use a pull through system and no brushes/scrubbing and use bore foam. I have no idea on how or if there are any long term affects from using foam bore cleaner but it cleans the bore and all I use is patches. Is it any better??? Who knows. All I know is I hated scrubbing the bore with a brush.

From what all I read is shoot till you see a change in accuracy then clean. OR make your builder happy and do the shoot and scrub rhythm.

Of course if you shoot CORROSIVE ammo, you need to clean after every outing!!!

I think the truth is out on "break in" and accuracy, its now called "makes your barrel stay clean/cleans up faster" if you break in the barrel 'correctly'. Kinda like "global warming" is now called "climate change".

Look, you see all kinds of misinformation on the web.

All these guys that say break-in isn't important are talking out their asses!

I pay particular attention to chrome lined barrel break-in as it is CRITICAL!!!

The process I use is as follows, please read carefully.

bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang

Any high-grade chrome lined barrels you have broken in any other way are likely only useful in growing tomatoes. Please send them to me and I'll dispose of them accordingly.

Chrome Moly barrels you have to do a shot once clean every 10-15 rounds then 3 shot for 5 times and then two 10 rounds and clean and pretty much done.

SS barrels also like the Chrome Moly and if match well same as SS use only nylon brushes in them....

CL barrels are like the post ^^^^^^^

bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read somewhere (internet story) that the barrel break in came from a barrel builder that was tired of the same question of "barrel Break in" so he came up with one just to make his clients happy.
I think )so did the article) that the barrel break in is a barrel builders dream. A barrel has a limited life so the more time a person spends on "breaking in the barrel" the barrels life is being used up. Second, many people do more damage to the bore when cleaning they they ever would shooting it. Poor cleaning techniques and scrubbing, scrubbing and more scrubbing cant be good for the barrel either, can it??? Add to that, they clean the barrel after every use (more scrubbing) and then have to fire several shots (warm up cold bore) to get the barrel to shoot right.

I use a pull through system and no brushes/scrubbing and use bore foam. I have no idea on how or if there are any long term affects from using foam bore cleaner but it cleans the bore and all I use is patches. Is it any better??? Who knows. All I know is I hated scrubbing the bore with a brush.

From what all I read is shoot till you see a change in accuracy then clean. OR make your builder happy and do the shoot and scrub rhythm.

Of course if you shoot CORROSIVE ammo, you need to clean after every outing!!!

I think the truth is out on "break in" and accuracy, its now called "makes your barrel stay clean/cleans up faster" if you break in the barrel 'correctly'. Kinda like "global warming" is now called "climate change". </div></div>

Ironic that you mention "global warming" which is a scam to make money because according to Gale McMillan so was the idea of "barrel break-in".

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html