• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chrome Lined Bore

Fritzcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
Texas Tyler
What is the best way to cut a chrome lined bore and not risk chipping? I have read they could be trouble!

Re: Chrome Lined Bore

I have a tool post grinder and thought if I did not hear of any good ways I could use a cutting disk on it and a cone rock for dressing an angle on the bore or round rock for a square crown. What do you think? It would take a lot more time this way. Thanks for info.

I've done this on several barrels,particularly Israeli .308 1919 machinegun barrels used for precision rifles.I used a standard carbide tool bit,NOT indexable tooling with inserts!Use the old 3/8" carbide tool bits that you grind relief on.Run at maybe 150-200rpm and take small cuts,cut from bore ID out to barrel OD and go slow as you hit the chrome.After cutting your crown you might use your tool post grinder to break the edge of the bore,you don't have to but if you want.Just be careful and it will work out.If I can help just PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is no right way, and it will chip. </div></div>

please clarify... will it chip during the cutting/ crowning or will it chip down the road?

jwSubMOA, are you refering to the brazed-on carbide tooling or carbide tool stock? Are you parting off a little long and machining back to measurment? I have 4 different types of tooling. For Chrome Moly and Stainless crowns, I like the HSS tool stock. ((( I have been refering to cutting barrel length on a chrome bore barrel and recrowning and threading. I have read some chip when parting and maching crown. It could also depend on the quality of the barrel. And even the top names have had trouble with chrome.))) Thanks again for info.

I'm refering to the brazed on carbide bits.Just cut your barrel a little long and face the muzzle square,cutting from ID to OD then set your compound to whatever angle you want and finish your crown by cutting from ID to OD.If you grind your toolbit pretty sharp with good relief you'll be fine.Don't use the HSS!Make sure to cut from ID to OD and go slow with small cuts.If I can help holler at me.

P.S.:I didn't catch it the first time I read your response to me,DO NOT part the barrel to shorten just SAW it on a horizontal bandsaw.Useing parting tools may be why some folks have problems.

it will either flake off durring cutting, or down the road while shooting or cleaning. Why not sell the barrel and buy a shorter one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will either flake off durring cutting, or down the road while shooting or cleaning. Why not sell the barrel and buy a shorter one? </div></div>

well my fn was cut without flaking and no flaking after 50 or so rounds so far. We'll see i guess. I was told it wont be a problem by quite a few people that have done it or have seen it done. Does anyone actually have any pics or proof of the post crowning flaking or do we need mythbusters to test it out?

If you machine it properly,with the right tooling and cutting speeds it's very easy and durable.If your using good barrels like FN or Israeli you'll be fine.I have done alot of rifles using surplus chrome lined Israeli 1919 .308 barrels with no issues.The have a been extremely accurate and are great for projects because of there cost and quality.