• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report chrono doesn't match drop

shocking300

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
so why wouldnt chrono velocity match the drop. At 1000 yards according to chrono velocity of 2880 fps i shoot 3moa high. Thanks

Re: chrono doesn't match drop

Have you trued you BC? The printed BC is not always what you get. As well as atmospherics will play havoc with what you get from a program like "Shooter", "Exball"... ect... I'm not saying they computers can't be close, but they're not 100% either....

just went with printed bc for 208amax , how far off can it be? Thanks

Depending on your velocity verses the velocity of their tested velocity, verses your atmospherics and what atmospherics they were testing in... It's anyone's guess... I find that if you change your BC on the programs slightly, you can compare the result to what you actually shot. It'll get you close, but still not 100% accurate....

Check or calculate your DA, a 20 to 30 degree increase in temp can mean 2000+ in Density altitude. Some quick numbers from the 208 amax/2880fps in the G7 software had alt 4895ft(70 degrees F) 28 moa drop at 1000 yard, at alt 6895 ft (90 degree F) 23.8 moa of drop at 1000 yards. There is your 3+ moa

These numbers are not exact so no one needs to red pencil my numbers. Just stressing the point Hugo made about the atmospherics.

Do you know if your chrono is accurate ?
Different lighting conditions do effect them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check or calculate your DA, a 20 to 30 degree increase in temp can mean 2000+ in Density altitude. Some quick numbers from the 208 amax/2880fps in the G7 software had alt 4895ft(70 degrees F) 28 moa drop at 1000 yard, at alt 6895 ft (90 degree F) 23.8 moa of drop at 1000 yards. There is your 3+ moa

These numbers are not exact so no one needs to red pencil my numbers. Just stressing the point Hugo made about the atmospherics. </div></div>

I got the DA, temp all that important info in to the program, still everything was high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know if your chrono is accurate ?
Different lighting conditions do effect them. </div></div>
I tried the chorno out in the sun with the shades, and in the shade with same results.

Give us the environmentals you are inputting and we can run the 208gr AMAX at 2880.

Also is this in a 300WinMag cartridge?

Have you confirmed your scope is level and true to the world and that its moa is a moa in the real world?

Finally, are you 100% certain you are shooting to 1000yds? Bullet is dropping fast out that far and a slight ranging error can have big impact.

Have you checked the scope tracking out to atleast 40 MOA? Not just a little 10 MOA box test? Alot of times when people find the ballistic program isn't tracking right <span style="font-weight: bold">when all the proper information is put into the program</span> then they find the scope isn't tracking properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give us the environmentals you are inputting and we can run the 208gr AMAX at 2880.

Also is this in a 300WinMag cartridge?

Have you confirmed your scope is level and true to the world and that its moa is a moa in the real world?

Finally, are you 100% certain you are shooting to 1000yds? Bullet is dropping fast out that far and a slight ranging error can have big impact. </div></div>

Yes sir, 300WM 208 AMAX, TEMP 90F, Barometric pressure 27.85, Hum 30% the range is 1001 yards , scope Mark 4 6.5-20x50 tracks purfect, all shots were level. Thank you

Ok Shocking300-

I used your data, Bryan Litz's G7 208Tgr Amax BC and assumed your scope is 2.0" above bore and zeroed at 100yds. This is the data that JBM spits out:

Range Drop
(yd) (MOA)
800 -17.2
900 -20.8
1000 -24.6

Maybe this helps your analysis a bit. If not, make sure the scope tracks up to 25 moa well, confirm your 100yd zero, and reshoot. No way would a 300WinMag get a 208gr going fast enough to require only 21.6 minutes up at 1000yds (24.6 - 3.0 moa you are reporting that its high) - that would require a MV of 3100fps!

good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Shocking300-

I used your data, Bryan Litz's G7 208Tgr Amax BC and assumed your scope is 2.0" above bore and zeroed at 100yds. This is the data that JBM spits out:

Range Drop
(yd) (MOA)
800 -17.2
900 -20.8
1000 -24.6

Maybe this helps your analysis a bit. If not, make sure the scope tracks up to 25 moa well, confirm your 100yd zero, and reshoot. No way would a 300WinMag get a 208gr going fast enough to require only 21.6 minutes up at 1000yds (24.6 - 3.0 moa you are reporting that its high) - that would require a MV of 3100fps!

good luck!
</div></div>
My bad i am zeroed at 220 yards, how does that change. Thanks for your help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shocking300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My bad i am zeroed at 220 yards, how does that change. Thanks for your help </div></div>

sure, in the case of a 220yd zero, here are the comeups according to JBM:

Range Drop
(yd) (MOA)
800 -12.8
900 -15.9
1000 -19.2
1100 -22.7
1200 -26.6