• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph choices...

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
I have, use and love my Magnetospeed. The simplicity is incredible. The best shooter I know personally, a world class PRS shooter, once observed that the Magnetospeed did not significantly interfere with barrel harmonics like detractors are quick to claim.

I’d love to get a LabRadar but not for an extra $400.

My one experience with a conventional chronograph was a nightmare to get it set up and get good readings.

Thoughts?

I have, use and love my Magnetospeed. The simplicity is incredible. The best shooter I know personally, a world class PRS shooter, once observed that the Magnetospeed did not significantly interfere with barrel harmonics like detractors are quick to claim.

I’d love to get a LabRadar but not for an extra $400.

My one experience with a conventional chronograph was a nightmare to get it set up and get good readings.

Thoughts?

Keep using magneto if you don’t want to buy a Labradar.

Also, I don’t care how “world class” someone shoots, if they claim something strapped to the barrel doesn’t affect poi......they have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe a particular barrel worked well with it strapped to it, but that’s not the norm.

Also, I don’t care how “world class” someone shoots, if they claim something strapped to the barrel doesn’t affect poi......they have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe a particular barrel worked well with it strapped to it, but that’s not the norm.

Yes, I found my MagnetoSpeed does affect POI on my 24" .308 Krieger barrel. I get ~ 2.5" vertical POI above POA @ 100 yds, but interestingly, precision and accuracy is still good and gives me groups virtually the same as without it on the barrel.

Reactions: boisepaw
I’ve seen the magnetospeed move impacts, change groups and also do absolutely nothing.
Just depends on the barrel.

I use a Wiser mount for my magnetospeed.

4E9AD807-792B-4F93-B0F4-374BDB5944E7.gif

Reactions: blbennett1288
Even when not mounted to the barrel, you will still see poi shifts.

I’ve used almost every non barrel mounted magneto mount available. Every one exhibited an impact shift away from the bayonet. Regardless of where it is positioned. It’s not very much, .1 or .2, but that’s enough to mess with your zero if you zero with the magneto.

This is why you see David Tubb have the magneto mounted at all times. He can see his velocity and decide if it was an ammo issue when he misses at distance, and it retains the same POI.

Bottom line, for the most part, there is no way to use a magneto without a POI shift. At times the harmonics in the barrel will line up, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

I should have phrased it differently...the issue isn't whether or not it affect point of impact. It is first of all whether or not it will, by definition, NOT give accurate readings simply because it is strapped to the barrel. Then, secondly, I wouldn't shoot a competition with it strapped to the barrel but would it necessarily affect the accuracy? Wouldn't it affect the point of impact in a consistent manner such that, perhaps the POI is different but the actual group size is not seriousy affected because the barrel's harmonics are effected the same way with each shot from the barrel with the chronograph attached?

I have shot dozens and dozens of sub MOA 5 shot groups with the Magnetospeed attached. Perhaps they would have all been sub half-MOA groups if it wasn't attached? I've never seen that much difference in group size with it attached or not attached. Point of impact quite possible but accuracy? Not so much in my experience.

Yes, I found my MagnetoSpeed does affect POI on my 24" .308 Krieger barrel. I get ~ 2.5" vertical POI above POA @ 100 yds, but interestingly, precision and accuracy is still good and gives me groups virtually the same as without it on the barrel.

I should have read your comments before writing my own just above. Your experience and mine are similar.

Even when not mounted to the barrel, you will still see poi shifts.

I’ve used almost every non barrel mounted magneto mount available. Every one exhibited an impact shift away from the bayonet. Regardless of where it is positioned. It’s not very much, .1 or .2, but that’s enough to mess with your zero if you zero with the magneto.

This is why you see David Tubb have the magneto mounted at all times. He can see his velocity and decide if it was an ammo issue when he misses at distance, and it retains the same POI.

Bottom line, for the most part, there is no way to use a magneto without a POI shift. At times the harmonics in the barrel will line up, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

What system does David Tubb use to mount it? I assume we are talking about a system for mounting the Magnetospeed?

I should have phrased it differently...the issue isn't whether or not it affect point of impact. It is first of all whether or not it will, by definition, NOT give accurate readings simply because it is strapped to the barrel. Then, secondly, I wouldn't shoot a competition with it strapped to the barrel but would it necessarily affect the accuracy? Wouldn't it affect the point of impact in a consistent manner such that, perhaps the POI is different but the actual group size is not seriousy affected because the barrel's harmonics are effected the same way with each shot from the barrel with the chronograph attached?

I have shot dozens and dozens of sub MOA 5 shot groups with the Magnetospeed attached. Perhaps they would have all been sub half-MOA groups if it wasn't attached? I've never seen that much difference in group size with it attached or not attached. Point of impact quite possible but accuracy? Not so much in my experience.

Its all dependent on the location the magnetospeed is strapped to the barrel, the bullet seating depth, and the barrel itself.

The minute the magneto moves even slightly forward or backward, it changes the barrel’s tuning.

This is exactly what a barrel tuner does.

So, in theory, if you could keep the magneto strapped to the exact same spot, and you tuned the bullet seating depth to the barrel with the magneto, then yes you could shoot a match with it on there.

A friend recently loaned me a Magnetospeed V3 and his Labradar.

I found both to match each others speed measurements very closely. This is not to say that they are accurate...I have no bench standard to compare them to so they seem to be equally accurate or inaccurate as the case may be and based on data I collected, they do indeed both appear to be accurate.

I did not worry about POI or group size with the Magnetospeed as I just wanted to collect speed data and perhaps missed an opportunity to add a data point to this discussion. Also, I did not have one of the kits to move the wand off of the barrel and onto an accessory tube like the Wiser.

I do note that someone above mentioned that it didn't effect their precision and accuracy but then later agreed with another post that said it moved their POI. So, if it didn't impact group size, that's precision. If it didn't impact POI, then that's accuracy. Or at least as I understand these terms.

So, I ran both and both work well. I just ordered a Labradar. Main reason is that its dead simple and while I wouldn't say that the Magnetospeed was a PIA, it certainly isn't as convenient to set up and use as the Labradar (well, IMO).

It was mentioned that the Labradar was $400 more than Magnetospeed.

I ordered the unit, the soft case, the USB power pack, an SD card, a far better (again, IMO) stand from Arkco Machine Products with very nice QD swivel head, and a super nice aiming accessory from MK Machining. Yes, right at $800 (wow.....I need to get up from this computer! my PayPal acct is melting haha)

Magnetospeed V3 is list at right at $400 plus either Wiser or MK Machinging kit to move the wand off of the barrel (sorry, I just can't see loving strapping something on the end of the barrel) for $100-140.

So yes, more money but I just liked the Labradar much more. One day I took my son out with me to the range and I did plan to collect data. We had multiple guns with us and all that was needed to collect chrono data was to set up the next gun. Labradar just sat where it was.

It is a lot of money for either of these two chronos but they sure seem to beat the hell out of the old optical, PIA, set up in front of the firing line, chronos.

Cheers

Reactions: straightshooter1
A friend recently loaned me a Magnetospeed V3 and his Labradar.

I found both to match each others speed measurements very closely. This is not to say that they are accurate...I have no bench standard to compare them to so they seem to be equally accurate or inaccurate as the case may be and based on data I collected, they do indeed both appear to be accurate.

I did not worry about POI or group size with the Magnetospeed as I just wanted to collect speed data and perhaps missed an opportunity to add a data point to this discussion. Also, I did not have one of the kits to move the wand off of the barrel and onto an accessory tube like the Wiser.

I do note that someone above mentioned that it didn't effect their precision and accuracy but then later agreed with another post that said it moved their POI. So, if it didn't impact group size, that's precision. If it didn't impact POI, then that's accuracy. Or at least as I understand these terms.

So, I ran both and both work well. I just ordered a Labradar. Main reason is that its dead simple and while I wouldn't say that the Magnetospeed was a PIA, it certainly isn't as convenient to set up and use as the Labradar (well, IMO).

It was mentioned that the Labradar was $400 more than Magnetospeed.

I ordered the unit, the soft case, the USB power pack, an SD card, a far better (again, IMO) stand from Arkco Machine Products with very nice QD swivel head, and a super nice aiming accessory from MK Machining. Yes, right at $800 (wow.....I need to get up from this computer! my PayPal acct is melting haha)

Magnetospeed V3 is list at right at $400 plus either Wiser or MK Machinging kit to move the wand off of the barrel (sorry, I just can't see loving strapping something on the end of the barrel) for $100-140.

So yes, more money but I just liked the Labradar much more. One day I took my son out with me to the range and I did plan to collect data. We had multiple guns with us and all that was needed to collect chrono data was to set up the next gun. Labradar just sat where it was.

It is a lot of money for either of these two chronos but they sure seem to beat the hell out of the old optical, PIA, set up in front of the firing line, chronos.

Cheers

About 2 years ago I read an substantial article regarding accuracy of various chrono's and compared those readily available to the public to the very expensive used by ballistic scientists. Both the Labradar and the MagnetoSpeed faired very well being quite consistent and accurate. And as I recall the Labradar edged out MagnetoSpeed by a small fraction.

Because I shoot mostly at public ranges where other shooters are in close proximity, I chose not to go with the Labradar base on reports of issues other's are firing so close to the unit (like when they happen to fire at about the same time as I). Though I recently saw that there are triggers like the JKL Inertial Trigger that takes care of this problem. So, I went with MagnetoSpeed and have been very satisfied with it. Otherwise, I don't think the Labradar can be beat at it's price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumper and Baron23
About 2 years ago I read an substantial article regarding accuracy of various chrono's and compared those readily available to the public to the very expensive used by ballistic scientists. Both the Labradar and the MagnetoSpeed faired very well being quite consistent and accurate. And as I recall the Labradar edged out MagnetoSpeed by a small fraction.

Because I shoot mostly at public ranges where other shooters are in close proximity, I chose not to go with the Labradar base on reports of issues other's are firing so close to the unit (like when they happen to fire at about the same time as I). Though I recently saw that their are triggers like the JKL Inertial Trigger that takes care of this problem. So, I went with MagnetoSpeed and have been very satisfied with it. Otherwise, I don't think the Labradar can be beat at it's price point.
My experience was that just having the Labradar just a bit too far back from the muzzle and it didn't pick up the shot so I wonder about crowded and noisy ranges.

I just thoughlessly pushed the rifle forward on the bench and just got away from the unit a bit too much. Just a matter of moving it back to the position about 8-10 inches to the side and about that back from the brake and it worked fine.

I don't have a lot of experience with it and may tweak my view of the best position with more time, but its so simple to just push it around a bit on the bench.

I do also have other friends who have the Magnetospeed and they are very satisfied with their purchase. I just decided to spend my COVID stimulus check on rifle stuff and apparently I'm pretty good at that!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:😅

Reactions: straightshooter1
Have the labradar. Have some difficulty getting it to detect suppressed shots. Going to try that JKL inertial trigger. When it works its very good.

Had a magnetospeed but sold it when the labradar was introduced.

Reactions: Baron23
Does the muzzle blast from a brake knock over the Labradar? Looking at pictures that seems like that might be a problem.

Adjust the position depending on the type of brake you have, there is a picture of suggested positions based on different muzzle devices.

Apparently that question comes up a lot. Thanks!!

Right now, I don’t have any chrono, but I’m trying to make the choice now.

I like the labradar in principle, but the durability is crap from everything I hear. Plus, you pretty much need a better way to aim it, a recoil trigger, a decent tripod and mount, a fancy case so it doesn’t break in the car, a separate battery pack...

And yes, the magnetospeed can shift POI whether attached to the barrel or not. Look up the supersonic ground effect; supersonic items are pushed away from nearby walls. That’s about the only thing people seem to dislike about it.

The Two Box Chrono looks interesting, but won’t work well on rough ground and most of the ranges I go to don’t have too many times they go cold, between having targets up already (and lots of steel) and only going cold when someone wants to pull/swap theirs, every 2-3 hours. I’m tempted to just get a 15 foot long stick with a long bipod at the far end and an adjustable tripod at the near end.

The aiming is easily improved with; a straw, roll pin, section of arrow shaft, pencil, plastic speed square etc.

Cases are inexpensive, an old laptop case can work very well and have room for all the accessories.

As to batteries, the battery pack ends up being a savings in the long run, it will chew through AA's quickly.

The recoil trigger is also a quality of life upgrade, it adds flexibility in positioning. I use it for rifles period, but it's really only necessary for suppressed guns or rimfire IMO.

A tripod may or may not be needed depending what and how you are shooting; standing with handguns, yes, seated at a bench or prone maybe not.

For bench use I use an inexpensive quick clamp with a cheap Bushnell binocular window mount. It makes aiming a breeze and no worries about knocking a tripod over.
For prone I use a cheap tripod ball head that I repurposed. It is attached to 3 12"x12" pieces of wood fashioned into a "corner". The side acts as a baffle as shown in the pdf I linked above.