• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph for $200 or less

Buckeye Scott

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Was looking to get a chronograph and spend about 200 or less on one. I have read some of the post here and they seem to speak highly of the CED M2 chronograph. I went on Midway to buy one and it didn't get very high reviews. Is this due to a small sample size? Is there another unit that I should consider in this price range? Thanks.

Re: Chronograph for $200 or less

I used 1 I got when i played paintball 10+ years ago. to bad it died on my a while back
frown.gif

I've never had any problem with my CED M2 - Beyond the lighting issues that sometimes plague any chronograph. WIth the IR screens, I'll bet all those issues go away, but I just used the skyscreens and it worked pretty well in pretty much all conditions outside.

Been using a shooting chrony for 15 yrs. or so now with no problems. Biggest thing is to make sure you use a large enough sample size to calculate your averages

I was using the CED M2 for about 18 months & was very happy with the results, although I did have to buy the IR screens to make it work at our range (I thought the lighting was good enough, but apparently not). After reading the reviews on the Magnetospeed in this forum I forked out the necessary $250 & tried it - just from the ease of use it is an absolute winner for rifles. It is Sooo easy to set up use, there is no looking back.

I use this one for everything from centerfire rifle to air gun.

I've never seen any unexplained variation or the need to shoot more than a few rounds to be sure. You can really see the quality when you're looking at pellets out of a PCP air rifle. You can get a perfect pressure curve that is perfectly repeatable.

You may want to look at getting the plexiglass shield, the indoor light kit and the computer attachment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

Had it for several years now, always worked for me. </div></div>

A couple of months ago I was looking at which chrono to purchase. After reading the forum and stuff online, I elected to purchase the Pro Chrono. The thing I found with the Chrony is owners complain that over time they lose accuracy.

Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Chronograph

your welcome

I'll second Craven Moreheads recommendation.

It takes about one minutes to get the MagnetoSpeed up and running.

If you're at a public range you don't have to wait for a cease fire to go out in front to set up and adjust the screens.

Since more rounds through a chrono mean better data, you can shoot from any position, and change positions in between shots if you want to. Since the chrono is attached to the barrel you don't have to worry about shooting screens or changing screen positions if you want to move around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

Another vote for this one. When I was researching getting a chronograph a few months ago in the same price range, this one came up over and over and over as THE one to look for. I haven't shot with mine yet, but its the one my research led me to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: number9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911GunNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this one:

Another vote for this one. When I was researching getting a chronograph a few months ago in the same price range, this one came up over and over and over as THE one to look for. I haven't shot with mine yet, but its the one my research led me to.

... </div></div>
Add my vote to the the ProChrono as well. I have used the Shooting Chrony Alpha prior to the ProChrono and it was giving random readings and it might have something to do with light sensitivity. Switched to the ProChrono and used it under the same condition without any problems.

I have a Shooting Chrony currently and have not been satisfied with the readings. I get a lot of readings and out of whack readings. I have used others chronographs and had no issues. I will be getting an Oehler 35P shortly.

Prochrono is very good. Hard to make it miss a reading. Magnetospeed sounds nice also. Thinking your poi and group size would change slightly with it on..that may or may not be an issue.

Easily the best sub $200 chronograph is the Prochrono Digital.
Buy the USB Connectivity Kit and you have a full function remote and a huge display.
Used a SC Beta for years and it mostly frustrated me with all the missed shots.
The PCD doesn't miss shots unless you really try.

if you are willing to spend a little more look into the MagnetoSpeed. I love mine

I have had a CED for about 6 years, works great and has metered up to a .223 WSSM with no issues.

That MagnetoSpeed is slick stuff, I saw a guy using one the other day (indoor range) and he was clockin in very low light. No need to shut the line down or take up two lanes. His numbers looks spot on for our altitude.

it doesn't require any light. it would work in complete darkness. it works off of magnetic disturbance like a guitar pickup does

I have a Magnetospeed on the way. I'll let you know how it runs but FWIW, that's where my money went. YMMV

well i have had a shooting chrony beta master for about a year. Yesterday it was shot by a friend of mine right through from front to back with an AR. Good thing is that they offer replacement parts relatively cheap.

There's a review on the Magnetospeed here somewhere. I read it this morning. It looks slick as anything. For a little bit more, it eliminates the need for a cold range, etc. I am in the market for a chrony, and it might just be what I pick up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are willing to spend a little more look into the MagnetoSpeed. I love mine </div></div>

+1 as accurate as an Oehler 35P at less than 1/2 the cost.

I've been using a Pro Chrono going on 20 years now, never any problems and data is right in line with other chronographs that I've been able to compare mine with.

BnC

Another benefit of the Magnetospeed is that when you take out the micro SD card, insert it into the adapter and then stick that into your computer it'll list everything that happened on each shot series.

Below is what will come up in Excel when you plug the SD card into your computer. I'm loving this thing.

Series 1 Shots: 24
Min 2976 Max 3032
Avg 2995 S-D 15
ES 56

Series Shot Speed
1 1 3013 ft/sec
1 2 3019 ft/sec
1 3 3004 ft/sec
1 4 2992 ft/sec
1 5 3001 ft/sec
1 6 2995 ft/sec
1 7 3032 ft/sec
1 8 2994 ft/sec
1 9 2979 ft/sec
1 10 3017 ft/sec
1 11 2990 ft/sec
1 12 3006 ft/sec
1 13 2994 ft/sec
1 14 2977 ft/sec
1 15 3012 ft/sec
1 16 2988 ft/sec
1 17 2990 ft/sec
1 18 2986 ft/sec
1 19 2986 ft/sec
1 20 3013 ft/sec
1 21 2979 ft/sec
1 22 2977 ft/sec
1 23 2979 ft/sec
1 24 2976 ft/sec

Hmm... I have to look into the Magnetospeed now. I do like the easy setup of the unit.

I love my CED Pro chrono however it does seem to be cheaply made. Works good.

I owned a PVM-21: best chrono on the market for under $1K. Sold it after testing and comparing to a Magneto. Not saying the PVM isn't a great piece of equipment. Just saying the value and convenience of the Magneto hit the sweet spot for me. After testing against the PVM, I can tell you the Magneto is a accurate chrono.

on my gun i can't tell a difference at 200 yards