• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph that works in COLD weather????????

300WSM

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2004
WI
looking for a chronograph that works in the cold. Current one stops giving readings about 40 degrees out. Something that got me down to say 10 degrees would be nice

Re: Chronograph that works in COLD weather????????

Mine has worked down into the low 30's, a Pact XP pro.

If you don't want to buy a new one, just take one of those hand warmers that get hot when you take them out of the package, put one under the control head and put a transparent plastic box over it.

If you have one where the brains are downrange with the sky screens like a Shooting Chrony, put the hand warmer near the battery and circuit board and use an ace bandage to hold it in place. Just don't obscure the sensor "eyes".

The biggest problem I've noticed is that at cold temps the batteries used die in short order. Either keep the battery warm to keep the voltage up, or use a battery eliminator that you can plug in if power is around.

There are a couple of guys that shoot during winter months at the range I use that even use these hand warmers under their ammo boxes to keep it all at the same temp. Cuts variations in performance when one places a 20 degree cartridge in an action that's warmed up to 80-90 degrees.

BTW, they also come in handy for the "trigger finger" at temps that low.

One of the advantages of a CED M2 over "all in one box" chronos or the Shooting Chrony Beta models is that the 9V battery is in the display/control head, which sits on the bench with you. It might not endure cold weather any better than other chronos, but having the battery on the bench next to you lets you change it out whenever it gets weak without leaving your seat.

So when it's cold, I keep a second battery in my shirt pocket, inside my coat, where it stays warm. When the display shows the battery in use is getting weak, I swap it for the warm one in my pocket.

I have an old PACT chronograph that I bought new many years ago. It has worked perfectly down to 0 degrees (I don't shoot for fun when the temp gets below zero...because that is NO FUN!) The first winter I used the PACT I had problems with the battery (one 9 volt). I cut the leg off a pair of worn out insulated snow pants, sewed one end of the cut closed and left the other end open. I put the chrono in the "bag" with the controls and "read out" window at the open end. Then, I put a couple of the chemical handwarmer packets under the PACT in the bag. Works well for at least a couple hours which is about as long as I care to shoot at those temps.

Deadshot2 and Fred_C_Dobbs both provide good info above. I only have experience with my PACT...but we all seem to reach similar conclusions.

Don't freeze any "IMPORTANT" parts!

If you can handle the price jump - the Oehler 35P is the ticket. I haven't used it below freezing, but I've gotten close a few times.

Prolly background for most - but for those not familiar with Ken Oehler, the guy started making these world-class chrono's YEARS back....and then they suddenly disappeared. By the time I could afford one ($575), they were gone....then about 18 months or so ago - a buddy of mine mentioned he had one - and that they were back in production (as of 2010). Needless to say - I own one. And lemme add - they are some of the best people in the industry.
Hopefully, this link will work.
http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

For the record, I've had 2 Pacts, a Chrony, CED2 x 2 - and all of them had problems too great for my liking. The Oehler 35P has no deficiencies that I have found.

300WSM,

Were you using a lithium battery? Li batteries won't last as long in the cold, but they will usually work down to about 0.

DocB