• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

chronograph tripod

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I purchased a chronograph and now I need a tripod that is stable enough to hold it! What are you guys using and about how much? Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: chronograph tripod

If all you need it for is mounting a chronograph, get the Cabela's tripod. I got one on sale for $29. It's plastic but still sturdy enough for a chronograph and has all the adjustment capabilities you could possibly need. I've been very satisfied with it.

yeah, i went the same way. Bought a cheapy at wally world. all you need is something to hold it up without falling over, no need in spending a bunch of $$ in my opinion.
my set up works well.

Here's an opinion to the contrary: you want something at least half-ass sturdy - it really doesn't help getting good chrono reads when the unit is wiggling all over in the wind because you have a flimsy tripod...

You don't need a bogen or something exotic like that, just saying that you might think about something more than just the minimum to get by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all you need it for is mounting a chronograph, get the Cabela's tripod. I got one on sale for $29. It's plastic but still sturdy enough for a chronograph and has all the adjustment capabilities you could possibly need. I've been very satisfied with it.</div></div>

Quick update: I looked at my Cabela's tripod again and the frame is actually alluminum, not plastic. The coating it has on it makes it look like plastic, but it isn't. I've used it in up to a 10 mph crosswind with no stability issues. My guess is it would take at least a 20 to 25 mph wind to cause a problem. The unit also comes with a hook on the bottom of the mounting section to hang a weight if you need greater stability. With this, I'm sure the unit would be stable in more wind then you would care to be shooting in.

Maybe not the best tribod is your are using a high end spotting scope or planning on using it as a shooting platform, but plenty good enough to mount a chronograph.

I bought one at Bestbuy in the $30 range. They have a decent camera section.

I'm a hillbilly I use a saw horse. It's metal with legs that fold up inside it and a 2x4 on top; plop it down on the ground, screw the chrono to the top if it and away I go.

Seeing's how you're from WY where the wind blows, get something that is fairly sturdy. I bought a $30 tripod from Wally World to mount a $300 chrono on, and out here in Hooterville IA the wind blows non stop during the winter, which is when I chrono rifle most. The damn thing twitches and shakes like a Belfast parking attendent and pisses me off. Wished I would have spent the bones for a sturdy mount. I've thought about the 2X4 sawhorse home built option, and still may go that route. You are not going to get accurate readings from sky sceens that are moving in the wind or being affected by muzzle blast. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.