• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronographs: MagnetoSpeed vs. Competition Electronics - Real World Side By Side Numbers

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
I think this is the correct forum, but Mods, feel free to move if you see a better place.

I started down the search of different chronos versus different numbers, accuracy, etc. Searched around a bit and found a fair bit of discussion on it, but didn't see anything with straight numbers / side by side / same shot. I had some load dev to do and get some numbers for another load, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to gather data with the two side by side with some factory ammo. I didn't have access today to a Labradar, but I did set up a my MagnetoSpeed and my Competition Electronics and collected data side by side.

The scenario:
65* / 40% and 30inHG generally sunny, slight 1-4mph breeze from 6 o'clock
Howa 1500 in 6.5CM with a 26bbl and a Dirty Bastard MB
Factory Hornady 6.5CM 140g HPBT American Gunner Ammo
Shooting off a bipod and a rear bag (POI / groups are irrelevant however)
CE ProChrono Digital that *just* came back from service. MagnetoSpeed V3 running the latest software.

10 Shots across both. MS obviously at the muzzle, the CE was ~10' down range.

Here is the setup and the results:

GXVmnQN.jpg

NVIGtBt.jpg

As a follow up, when the opportunity is avail, I will do the same test with all three. Labradar, Magnetospeed and a Comp Elec. I'd like to see ho the Labradar compares to the prior two / all three.

I think this is the correct forum, but Mods, feel free to move if you see a better place.

I started down the search of different chronos versus different numbers, accuracy, etc. Searched around a bit and found a fair bit of discussion on it, but didn't see anything with straight numbers / side by side / same shot. I had some load dev to do and get some numbers for another load, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to gather data with the two side by side with some factory ammo. I didn't have access today to a Labradar, but I did set up a my MagnetoSpeed and my Competition Electronics and collected data side by side.

The scenario:
65* / 40% and 30inHG generally sunny, slight 1-4mph breeze from 6 o'clock
Howa 1500 in 6.5CM with a 26bbl and a Dirty Bastard MB
Factory Hornady 6.5CM 140g HPBT American Gunner Ammo
Shooting off a bipod and a rear bag (POI / groups are irrelevant however)
CE ProChrono Digital that *just* came back from service. MagnetoSpeed V3 running the latest software.

10 Shots across both. MS obviously at the muzzle, the CE was ~10' down range.

I did the same test with my ProChrono and MagnetoSpeed v3 with my .308. Have read some articles with test results and about how accurate the MagnetoSpeed is in tests with expensive high end chronos, was a little surprised that my ProChrono numbers were not as far off as I expected . . . especially that it was set up at 10" from my muzzle. More importantly to me was that it was more consistent than I expected a inexpensive chrono to be. . . .at least when the sun was shining brightly and no clouds moving through.

There was a couple of articles I read (it's been a few years now, since) that did a good study with numbers and compared a number of chronos (including MagnetoSpeed and Labradar) against a highly accurate commercial chrono from Oehler. I don't remember which Oehler chrono it was, but it was used as the base and they found that the Ladradar and the MagnetoSpeed to have a very high level of accuracy and consistency. That's when I bought the MagnetoSpeed to get an pretty accurate reading with a tool that was within my budget; and one I can set up quickly and easily at a public range without having to wait for a ceasefire. And with the MS, I don't have to worry about mistakenly shooting my chrono. :eek: ;)

Reactions: Dmart036
As a follow up, when the opportunity is avail, I will do the same test with all three. Labradar, Magnetospeed and a Comp Elec. I'd like to see ho the Labradar compares to the prior two / all three.
I shot 10 rounds of incremental load charges comparing my MS v3 to a friend's Labradar and there was 7 FPS difference each and every shot.

Reactions: MDof2
question i have, do the chronos ever need calibrating or is it a life of the product calibration?
i guess we're taking the manufacturer on face value that their product doesn't need calibrating after so long and will remain true with the readings.
lucky medical equipment gets serviced regularly :)

I shot 10 rounds of incremental load charges comparing my MS v3 to a friend's Labradar and there was 7 FPS difference each and every shot.

I had a very similar experience. except my difference was closer to the 4FPS range. Labradar being the faster measurement.

I’ve compared my my sporter to the Labradar at the gun range and the difference was less than half your results.

As far as I’m concerned Labradar or magnetospeed are the only viable choices.

I did the same test with my ProChrono and MagnetoSpeed v3 with my .308. Have read some articles with test results and about how accurate the MagnetoSpeed is in tests with expensive high end chronos, was a little surprised that my ProChrono numbers were not as far off as I expected . . . especially that it was set up at 10" from my muzzle. More importantly to me was that it was more consistent than I expected a inexpensive chrono to be. . . .at least when the sun was shining brightly and no clouds moving through.

There was a couple of articles I read (it's been a few years now, since) that did a good study with numbers and compared a number of chronos (including MagnetoSpeed and Labradar) against a highly accurate commercial chrono from Oehler. I don't remember which Oehler chrono it was, but it was used as the base and they found that the Ladradar and the MagnetoSpeed to have a very high level of accuracy and consistency. That's when I bought the MagnetoSpeed to get an pretty accurate reading with a tool that was within my budget; and one I can set up quickly and easily at a public range without having to wait for a ceasefire. And with the MS, I don't have to worry about mistakenly shooting my chrono. :eek: ;)
Done that! Thank GOD it was only a pellet gun. I got a bit too complacent and decided to shoot from the hip. Ouch.

Chronographs are extremely overbore un-friendly.

I love to shoot overbore cartridges (.257, 6.5-.300, & 30-378 Weatherby & 26 Nosler, etc).

The excessive powder gets burned OUTSIDE of the rifle resulting in... excessive muzzle blast! Chronograph’s don’t like this! So if you like to shoot expensive, overbore (but fun) rifles with excessive muzzle blast = Go Magnetospeed.

question i have, do the chronos ever need calibrating or is it a life of the product calibration?
i guess we're taking the manufacturer on face value that their product doesn't need calibrating after so long and will remain true with the readings.
lucky medical equipment gets serviced regularly :)
Optical chronographs do not require calibration. The principle of operation is based on time which is based on the computer clock. Same with magnetospeed and Labrador. Most optical errors are due to setup. Brian Litz did an excellent paper on chronographs, both comparisons and setup.

Reactions: Gee Kay