• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronographs?

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
I'll be buying one eventually, just wondering what's good. A unit that can take a memory card, or some other method to transfer data to a computer, would be nice. And one that mounts on a tripod with a standard thread I suppose.

Re: Chronographs?

Why not the magnetopeed? It has a memory card and attaches to the barrel, no need for a tripod and is easy to switch between guns.

Hey Oneteam,
Had to Google Magneto Speed. That looks cool, but their website is scant on specifics. It must work off of electromagnetic induction antennas. Does it work with small bullets or unjacketed bullets that have little conductive material?

There is a great review thread in the equipment section here.

Based on the reviews, small bullets are fine, but there are mixed success on monolithic solids.

Because I paid an arm and a leg to get all geared up to reload. I'd like something at a lower price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneteam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not the magnetopeed? It has a memory card and attaches to the barrel, no need for a tripod and is easy to switch between guns. </div></div>

First off, I don't like chronos.

Secondly, the Oehler 35P is the chrono to have if you must have one.

I didn't like the $600 price tag, so I bought "the next best thing", the CED M2. It has been fair at best.

A friend has the 35P, so I use it on occasion. No "accurate load" has ever shown to be best in regard to SD and ES. I've never been able to simply take the velocity from the chrono, plug it into the ballistics calculator, and have "great" dope...and that includes the .308 175smk - so it's not as if the BC isn't well established.

Personally, I'd much rather have pressure trace instrumentation than velocity.

My buddy talked me into this one from midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

I just got it on saturday and am hopefully going to take it out this week sometime. It had 94 reviews and still 4.5 star rating. It is compatible with a standard tripod thread mount. It is computer compatible as well but you need to buy the cable and software separately. another 50.00.

My buddy said it is pretty reliable and only had a problem when it was blazing hot summer and with direct sunlight that was interfering with it. As is it holds up to 9 strings of shots. So good enough for me.

Just my 2 cents and ill let you know how mine works out or if it doesn't.

I will ablsolutely confirm the data with longer shots and adjust my drop charts as needed but the chrono will let me know what is them most consistent load etc.

I understand the price point. But I have spent in excess of $500.00 on other chronographs over the last 20 years and this one is the easiest to use by far. It is reliable and repeatable as well. Good luck with your choice.

Every time a question about chronographs comes up, I can hardly resist raving about my 35P. At this point, it's not very high tech, been around a long time, but if you want computations and reliable data, and a convenient paper tape printed on real ink that won't fade, then Oehler makes a good machine. No, it won't do a bunch of ballistic calculations on your computer, it just records velocity and calculates highs and lows and averages, which is all I ever wanted from a chronograph, in the first place. And, their customer service is second to none. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every time a question about chronographs comes up, I can hardly resist raving about my 35P. At this point, it's not very high tech, been around a long time, but if you want computations and reliable data, and a convenient paper tape printed on real ink that won't fade, then Oehler makes a good machine. No, it won't do a bunch of ballistic calculations on your computer, it just records velocity and calculates highs and lows and averages, which is all I ever wanted from a chronograph, in the first place. And, their customer service is second to none. BB </div></div>

I agree with everything you said. It's reliable and accurate.

I've shot and used most all of them. I personally use a CED M2. If it ever takes a dump, I'll switch to a 35P. But, I can buy almost 3 M2's for 1 35P. Over the years, I have had 2 sensors go out on the M2, which 1 was covered under warranty. Otherwise, it's a great chrono. The 35P is a very good one, but expensive and hard to get.