• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Chronus BTR or Ares ETR

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I have an Argos and Ares BTR and like them both have been great. Looking at the Chronus and Ares ETR for the elevation gains vs my BTR as I'm shooting longer than I had thought about....anyone shoot both the Chronus and Ares ETR? Fav? Thanks

I have.
    The only thing I like more about the ETR is the locking turrets.
    I definitely prefer my Cronus but the ETR definitely is a strong choice.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
    I have an Argos and Ares BTR and like them both have been great. Looking at the Chronus and Ares ETR for the elevation gains vs my BTR as I'm shooting longer than I had thought about....anyone shoot both the Chronus and Ares ETR? Fav? Thanks
    The only thing I don't like about the ARES ETR is that it's made in China, however, it's performance is great so far.
    Tracking accuracy, clarity and features are solid.

The Cronus BTR is slightly better optically than the Ares ETR, and made in Japan instead of China. That said I’d ordinarily say go for the Ares if the couple hundred bucks matter to you, but with Doug’s deal linked above, holy crap get the Cronus from him.

Doug is great to work with in general, and is really supportive of the Hide and its shooters.

Reactions: steve123
    Thanks guys....no question I'll go with Doug that's where I went for my last one!

Reactions: gnochi
    If it is between those two, and given the markdowns on Cronus due to a new model coming out next year, it’s a no brainer to go with the Cronus. There’s something about my Ares ETR that I just don’t really like (it may be the length I don’t like vs the Cronus). I feel like the Midas Tac 5-25 is on par or better than the Ares ETR for less money, but neither are quite where the Cronus is.

I really like my ares etr but i dont love it.
    It doesnt have the low light clarity for me.
    Shooting steel targets in the shade is where i notice it most.

Reactions: Cynical
    In terms of clarity, my 2 Ares ETR outperformed many scopes in the $1500-1800 range. For a scope that can be found for $850-900, it's a steal. I eventually upgraded my ETR, but to get a visible jump, I went to something in the $2800 range.. Kahles, Leica, S&B...

I have both scopes. I shoot them both long range. If im picking 1 its the cronus hands down with glass. Early morning or late evening it really shines but mid day the etr is right there with it. My buddy has a nf atacr and my cronus is so close i dont see any difference. I put my cronus on the rifle i switch barrel for hunting and targets because its just better but etr is great for money.

In terms of clarity, my 2 Ares ETR outperformed many scopes in the $1500-1800 range. For a scope that can be found for $850-900, it's a steal. I eventually upgraded my ETR, but to get a visible jump, I went to something in the $2800 range.. Kahles, Leica, S&B...
    I agree with that, but it wouldn't touch my Vortex Razor Gen 2 in clarity.
    Still, a great optic that works great!

I agree with that, but it wouldn't touch my Vortex Razor Gen 2 in clarity.
    Still, a great optic that works great!
    Etr is pretty close to the razor gen 2 that my buddy had. Not equal but close specally for money. Athlon is pretty good stuff

Define pretty close to a gen 2 razor.
    I love my athlon scopes i have 3.
    In no way is an etr as nice optically as a gen2 razor. At any power setting
    It shouldnt be its 500 dollars cheaper.

Define pretty close to a gen 2 razor.
    I love my athlon scopes i have 3.
    In no way is an etr as nice optically as a gen2 razor. At any power setting
    It shouldnt be its 500 dollars cheaper.
    Right not says as good but close for the money. If you had $1000 buy etr if you had $1700 buy razor. But its just what i seen. But i believe once sun comes out the etr is very close in clear and color as razor but i would pick cronus over both of them personally.

Reactions: squishee
    Right not says as good but close for the money. If you had $1000 buy etr if you had $1700 buy razor. But its just what i seen. But i believe once sun comes out the etr is very close in clear and color as razor but i would pick cronus over both of them personally.
    I like the ETR but love my Razor!
    Razors always seem to get hit with price cuts that we benefit from in the PX section, but retail price to retail price shows the ETR and Razor are actually very far apart...

I want to try a Cronus but i would miss the locking turrets .
    Its why i bought an etr.
    I thinkl i will wait to see what they change on the new Cronus.

Its why i bought an etr.
    Yes that locking turret is nice but I did pack my Cronus over 6 MI deer hunting I never had a problem with the turret but I bet the new one has locking turrets and a lot nicer so that's going to be really tempting LOL

Its why i bought an etr.
    Yes that locking turret is nice but I did pack my Cronus over 6 MI deer hunting I never had a problem with the turret but I bet the new one has locking turrets and a lot nicer so that's going to be really tempting LOL

And I'm betting the 'new' Cronus is going to cost a lot more than $1149. :)

Does anyone want to over pay me for a DPMS AR-10 in 308? 😁
    That might get me into one of those brown Chronus'.

I had them both. I still have the Cronus. I did not like the floating dot on the Ares.

The only thing I don't like about the ARES ETR is that it's made in China, however, it's performance is great so far.
    Tracking accuracy, clarity and features are solid.
    I'm on board with you don't really want to support the Chinese if I don't have to. Take a look at the vortex Razor HD gen 1 a very good scope tons of internal adjustment 35 mm tube very underrated I do believe it's Japanese though similar price as a high-end Athlon. About $1,300 through eurooptic if you have law enforcement or military

Reactions: Vamike9
    I will tell you this. If you do choose Athlon. And have served as a law enforcement officer or military they have a stellar Factory discount program all you have to do is call them. It's truly worth the effort. Just my two cents

Reactions: Trent A
    I love athlon. Ive had anything from midas tac rifle scopes to the cronus and spotting scopes cronus and ares and dollar for dollar pretty good cant complain on performance

Both the Ares ETR and Cronus are a definite step up in glass compared to the Ares BTR. I find the ETR just as good during the day as the Cronus. Cronus is better in low light. I like the Cronus just a little better than the ETR because it is just a little shorter and lighter.

Reactions: Trent A and Schw15
    I have.

I like the turrets better on the ETR but the glass and length more on the Cronus.

More "ALL .2 mil reticles" needed in the higher end Athlon line up's. Got my fingers crossed for the new Cronus!

I’ve had both and still have the Cronus. The ETR is very nice but the Cronus is excellent, especially for the current price.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
    Its a compromise between locking turrets and Glass. I'd go with the cronus.

Guys running a Chronus....how much of the 32 mils elevation are you able to use and have it keep tracking accurately? If I can get 35mils that is what I need to touch a mile on the worst days. I have a couple of sets of XTR Signature rings so with the etched 10mils....can I at least get 25mils b/f running into issues with tracking? I know my Ares let's me get to exactly 20mils b/f the tracking stone cold stops can't even get it zeroed. Thanks

Guys running a Chronus....how much of the 32 mils elevation are you able to use and have it keep tracking accurately? If I can get 35mils that is what I need to touch a mile on the worst days. I have a couple of sets of XTR Signature rings so with the etched 10mils....can I at least get 25mils b/f running into issues with tracking? I know my Ares let's me get to exactly 20mils b/f the tracking stone cold stops can't even get it zeroed. Thanks

What Ares are you talking about? The ETR I've gotten all 32 mils out of it. If you aren't, then you should get it fixed.

it's funny i love my ares btr shoot lights out with it, but it does lack in reaching way out. quite impressed with athlon and will do the chronus/ares etr at some ponit. honestly with my atrocious vision I can barely see any dif in quality on buddy's NF ATACR.....and i know there is a world of dif. cataracts, floaters, -8.5rx.....it's a party lookin through my glasses!

• Haha
    it's funny i love my ares btr shoot lights out with it, but it does lack in reaching way out. quite impressed with athlon and will do the chronus/ares etr at some ponit. honestly with my atrocious vision I can barely see any dif in quality on buddy's NF ATACR.....and i know there is a world of dif. cataracts, floaters, -8.5rx.....it's a party lookin through my glasses!

Most likely his diopter is set very differently than yours. I can definitely see a huge difference between the BTR and the ETR. The ETR glass though, from a pure clarity point of view I have not noticed a noticeable difference with glass all the way out to the $2500 range.

oh i know there are massive difs, but no matter what i do it's still a cloudy mess with me 'dodging' 2 giant floaters right in the middle of my right eye. i'm probably 2-3 years out from surgery it will be such a joy to have ~ 20/20 sans glasses!

Have both ( and an Ares BTR + Argos BTR). I don't think you can go wrong either. They both track well and are clear out to 1000 (my max so far).

Athlon.jpg

I have had both and appreciate the more generous (2.3" vs 2") mounting area in front of the turrets on the Ares ETR. The Cronus had to have the rings very close to tight against the turret housing with the rings all the way to the front groove on a Badger rail to get proper eye relief. The 1/2" longer eyepiece on the Cronus doesn't help the issue either.

Cronus shown below on my buddy's LH 700 in an A5 stock. The Ares is on my RH 700, also in an A5. Both rifles using the same Badger rings and rails.
    9252.jpeg

20191206_160813.jpg

o
    I have.
    A person would reasonably think that since the Ares ETR has Locking Turrets that Athlons Tier One Cronus BTR would also have Locking Turrets also. But they would be WRONG...as I was when I bought mine.
    There are much better choices for the same money than Athlon Cronus BTR...point of Fact the TRACT TORIC 4.5-30x56 FFP with great Pull/Push locking Turrets and great Japanese Glass.. or the Delta Stryker HD e4.5-30x56 FFP. I own all 3 of these. One of my favorite scopes is the Delta Stryker 5-50x56 SFP DLS-3

Last edited: