• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chrony questions

Re: chrony questions

Have a friend who has one. Loves it. Fairly good accuracy.

I have a beta model, a bit more expensive, but has built in statistics for groups of shots.

Typical readings are +/- a few percent of each other for hand loads. I typically measure/record every shot with the remote head and then do a group average for statistical analysis.

I have that same one but with the remote control. It works for what it is...but it is finicky with lighting. I bought another higher priced brand and it works better in low lighting. I still got my old one sitting here that I'm planning to return to Midway.

The more shots you average out the better the overall result.
Some people average as many as 40 shots .
I think 20 would be fine.

I find my unit is a pain in the ass to get working properly.

Error messages and bogus values are common. And I have a told end model Shooting Chrony.

I should have gotten the CED m2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have gotten the CED m2 </div></div>

1+. I have the CED M2 and I am very happy with it. It gives me very accurate readings, in most conditions.

Try only using it when the sun is high overhead.
Also place a dark colored canvas or rug under the unit to stop any reflection from the ground . Might help.

If you look at the two below it I have both and like them both.. the CED has a lot more bells and whistles but have lined them up back to front more than once and only get a few fps difference in the readings... Like using the chrony when setting up at target... Not taking a chance on shooting the CED.... Some day will get the IR screens for one of them to take the variables out of the lighting systems....

I like the Chrony, but I don't bet the farm on any chrono's absolute accuracy.

I have the Chrony Beta. I think I'd have been happier with the Chrony Alpha, simply because it's simpler.

Getting comfy with the button pushing sequences is a pain in the butt, and I spent much of my lifetime doing computer programming.

Simplest is best.

If I need the math, I'd rather do it myself; all I want from a chrono is that last shot's velocity, period.

Greg

Check the review sights and I think you'd find the Shooting Chrony is the most bitched-about chrono on the market. I went through three in the first two months of 2010. When the third one went back to the factory, I said enuffs enuff and bought a CED M2. Problem solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I average out 10 shot strings. </div></div>
That would work fine . It's convenient if firing 10 shot groups at the same time.

I own both and have had to replace the Chrony, because it didn't do well with the little brother 7 RUM at 10 ft repeatedly... It was replaced at no charge and no problems in the last 2 years... We did get the CED when I sent it back and love the unit, but for the simplicity alone the Chrony is the most used... I would suggest reading the reviews any time before purchasing anything, but on the chrony you will find they are many more 4 & 5 Star reviews than they are bad ones also they are probably more of them out there than most others... If I was buying one for the first time and knowing what I know now the CED would be my choice unless I could afford an Olehr...

I have the alpha and it sits in the garage absolutely useless. Save your money and get a better chronograph. Like the CED M2

I took my Chrony out this past weekend and it did not work. It was early in the morning and cloudy. This happens all the time. If its too cloudy or direct sun at a low angle it will not work. Which this was fine when my range was my back porch and not an hour drive away. But if the the sun is right, I think it works as well as any. I am getting an infrared chronograph. A few trips to the range wasted because the Chrony did not work is not worth the money you save.

When light out isn't good you are not suppose to use your screens... found this out one day by reading instructions... known load was running about 200fps to slow and I couldn't figure out what was going on... read instructions and it said not to use screens on a cloudy day... read right without the screens... but the infrared should stop all problems...

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_newproducts.htm

I have a Chrony F1. Who'd believe I could get 3000fps out of 40.0g of H4350? At least that's what my Chrony F1 tells me.

NOT.

At least I'm not the only one dealing with a not so accurate chrono.

My .243 load out of my Chrony alpha is registering 5800fps. Not a chance at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enios</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When light out isn't good you are not suppose to use your screens... found this out one day by reading instructions... known load was running about 200fps to slow and I couldn't figure out what was going on... read instructions and it said not to use screens on a cloudy day... read right without the screens... but the infrared should stop all problems...</div></div>
IIRC, Bryan Litz documented that not using the diffusers causes an error in some Shooting Chronys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .243 load out of my Chrony alpha is registering 5800fps. Not a chance at all. </div></div>
I'm tempted to try to buy that .243 off you, just to make sure. :drool:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .243 load out of my Chrony alpha is registering 5800fps. Not a chance at all. </div></div>
I'm tempted to try to buy that .243 off you, just to make sure. :drool:
</div></div>
I havent done the ballistics but i bet that would be one flat flat shooting rifle.

I have one and it hasn't given me any issues to complain about. Exactly HOW accurate is it? The results I've gotten with the unit with 338LM and 50 BMG seems to match ballistic programs to 1000 yards and supplement my reloading data. YMMV.

I think this would work for any Chronograph...
I use a sheet of frosted Mylar, I keep it rolled up in my tube of targets. 20x48.
I unroll it, then roll it the opposite way (Big tube) around my Pact with the screens on, and tape it.
It acts as a big diffusion for the sunlight with no glare. It works really well for anytime of day.
Not so good in the wind though. Been think’en about getting the IR screen job.

I have the latest Competition ELectronics chron... and testing it with match ammo, the reported speeds are right within the range of what the manufacturer specifies. However, even for this match grade ammo (Fed 308 168gr Gold match), the extreme spread between hi and low velocities can be as much as 50fps. So either the chron is inaccurate to the single digit fps, or the Fed ammo really does vary that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. So either the chron is inaccurate to the single digit fps, or the Fed ammo really does vary that much. </div></div>

Based on my experience with the CED, it's the ammo not the chrono.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. So either the chron is inaccurate to the single digit fps, or the Fed ammo really does vary that much. </div></div>

Based on my experience with the CED, it's the ammo not the chrono. </div></div>
100%!! Factory ammo has a very high ES. I have tested many different brands, and pulled many factory bullets. When weighing the powder charge of the factory ammo, it is not uncommon to get .4-.9 grains of powder charge variation between just a few rounds. Most reloaders load to .1 grains of accuracy, which is not bad. But a .4-.9 variaton is HUGE! It is enough variation to get you out of an accuracy node. I load to .02 grain accuracy, which is about 1 kernel of extruded gun powder. When you find the sweet spot for a load and load to this tight of a powder charge, ES go way down.

Thanks, I would have thought match ammo was more accurately built up.

The shooting chrony or any chronograph is far more accurate than needed. Put a whole bunch of chronographs in series and notice how they all get the same reading. What are you using the velocity data for?

The problem is that the shooting chrono does not always trigger.

I went through two shooting chronys and one Pro Chrono before I stopped shooting handguns over chonographs.

I have been using my 4th chronograph for a few years now, another Pro Chrono.

It always triggers.

I put the chronograph on a tri pod 10 feet out there so the gas will not cause errors.

I have binoculars so I can read the chronograph display.

33 gr Vmax 223 18 gr Blue Dot is a max load and can do 4200 fps. The Pro Chrono can measure that, but 33 gr 223 H110 max loads are too fast and the Pro Chrono can't time the very short bullet.

It depends on what you want.
If you are going to shoot 5 shots and only need to get data from one or two, the $80 shooting chrony will work fine.

If you want all 5 shots, the $100 Pro Chrono is better.

If you want range status, there are other brands. In July when they are getting ready to leave for Africa, the 500NE crowd with double rifles at the range are not going to use shooting chrony or Pro Chrono. At least I have never seen one of those guys use one.

My current chrony. Works great, about ten years old got used a lot at first then once a year or less. Last month the 1st battery I put in finally died. It was a Duracell with an expiration date of March 2002.
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Plus.html

My nexy chrony. Thought about buying it just because but the one above still works. This one will interface via USB to a laptop with the accessory.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Digital.html