• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chrony Recommendation

capreppy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2011
Princeton, TX
I've got $90 in available credit at Amazon.com. Willing to go as high as $120 or so. Not much budget left after catching up on components (powder and metric crap ton of bullets).

I've been using my buddy's Chrony, but he is about to move away and I need to get my own. Looking for basic chrony, but willing to entertain others depending on price point.

I wouldn't buy anything in that price range.

Return some empty beer cans and get a CED M2. About $190.

I have used a Shooting Chrony for years and IMHO believe it has served me well. I had the opportunity to run it with an Ohler during load development and found it to be consistent. The speeds it gave me were slightly slower than the Ohler but within 30-40fps and it was just a few ft downrange from the Ohler. The one thing I did not like about it was sensitivity to light. They need light to work and if the sun was at the wrong angle it would not work. IMHO this unit served me well as a starter unit but my next one looks like it will be a Magnetospeed setup is a snap and light not required if my research is correct.

Hrmm... Well, the only other ones I would recommend will be much more costly than the M2.

Perhaps buy something else from Amazon that you need/want and buy the M2 from Midway or similar? Or, do you have any friends that would be willing to turn that Amazon credit into cash for you (you order something using it and they give you cash)?

I've used several different brands/types of chronograph, and the M2 is the only one that has registered every shot, every time. Since I like to get the speed of 5-round groups during load development, losing one round is an effective 20% loss of data, which is completely unacceptable to me.

I've used several different brands/types of chronograph, and the M2 is the only one that has registered every shot, every time. Since I like to get the speed of 5-round groups during load development, losing one round is an effective 20% loss of data, which is completely unacceptable to me.

Valid point on the data loss.

Let me ask my question differently then. Can you provide me recommendations on Amazon.com outside of the $120 price range. They do have the MagnetoSpeed, but not sure I am ready for fork over $300 for it. I don't have that many rifles or that many loads for the rifles I do run so this Chrono won't get that much use.

No idea.. I just went to Amazon to try to help you out, but searching for "Chronograph" got me 20 pages of results, and 90% of the first 4 pages were watches. I don't have that kind of patience.

Like I said, just "sell" your credit to a friend, and then go to Midway or Sinclair or something and buy a proper chrono. If the results that I saw in the first 4 pages of Amazon were representative of their offerings, they only carry like 3 brands of chronographs..

One other thing worth noting about the M2 - it has an optional infrared kit that can be purchased. This allows the use of it in the shade, or even indoors (if that is important to you).

For little use, or what you plan to obtain from one, the Chrony will suit you fine. Yes there's better, some worse, if you just using it to get ballpark figures, for load development and stuff. Any ballistic program can be manipulated to coincide with drops.
Just make sure when you shoot through it, shoot the same height, and distance from you, and your numbers will be repeatable.

No idea.. I just went to Amazon to try to help you out, but searching for "Chronograph" got me 20 pages of results, and 90% of the first 4 pages were watches. I don't have that kind of patience.

Like I said, just "sell" your credit to a friend, and then go to Midway or Sinclair or something and buy a proper chrono. If the results that I saw in the first 4 pages of Amazon were representative of their offerings, they only carry like 3 brands of chronographs..

Thanks for looking. Yeah, I think I probably will have to go the MidwayUSA route. I'll use the Amazon credit for something else.

Put up the money and get the Magneto Speed!!! I have used a few different chrono's over time and none compared to it!!!!

For little use, or what you plan to obtain from one, the Chrony will suit you fine. Yes there's better, some worse, if you just using it to get ballpark figures, for load development and stuff. Any ballistic program can be manipulated to coincide with drops.
Just make sure when you shoot through it, shoot the same height, and distance from you, and your numbers will be repeatable.

If you were going to go the Chrony route, which one would you get?

+1 on the Magnetospeed. No tripod to set up, no sky screens to shoot through, no worries about ambient lighting, light or dark, it doesn't matter. Just attach it properly and shoot. Only downsides are it can't be used on autoloading pistols. Not a big deal for me since I only want it to check rifle speeds.

The ProChrono has worked for me. I"ve shot shotgun, pistol, and rifle over it with no issues, BUT I've not verified it with another brand.

If you were going to go the Chrony route, which one would you get?

Any will work, just get the model that says master after it, they come with a screen attached to a cord, otherwise the screen is on the part you're shooting through. Alpha, Beta, whichever.

Just stay within your allotted budget or close to it. Remember, the chrono is just a tool in your arsenal for data. Your life should never be dependent on it's readings.

Which ever you buy, do test it against another chrono, shoot through both at the same time, piggyback.

Last edited:
My experience exactly. I set mine in front of the Oehler and found a 20 fps decrease, but a very consistent read across the board. I was surprised by the consistency of the Chrony after all the trash talking. Agree with its being somewhat finicky with light conditions.
I had the opportunity to run it with an Ohler during load development and found it to be consistent. The speeds it gave me were slightly slower than the Ohler.

Last edited: