• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cigar advice

mrdrar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
Not having enough vices as I approach my 7th decade, I thought that I would try cigars. Based on a cigar shop’s recommendations, I tried:

1) Romeo y Julieta 1875–bland, ? high nicotine.
2) Ashton Classic—sharp and bitter.
3) JC Neumann Diamond Crown No. 5–a little sharp.
4) Arturo Fuente Rosado Gran Reserva—Nicest so far.

Remaining to try are Montecristo White, DTT Sobremesa Brûlée, Perdomo Double Aged 12 Year Salomon Connecticut, and Ashton Aged Maduro #40.

I am looking for:
1) Low nicotine.
2) smooth—not sharp or bitter.
3) Flavor—preferably not peppery.

In addition to the above, I was thinking of trying:

1) Arturo Fuente Don Carlos.
2) Arturo Fuente Hemingway.
3) Romeo y Julieta San Andres.
4) H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon.

Recommendations and thoughts on the above please.

There is a very extensive thread that has some great cigars in it. Just search cigar thread. That is something else that will get expensive

Reactions: Plinker 73
I’ve been smoking cigars for 16-18 years and probably smoke to many.
The fun thing about cigars is trying new ones instead of smoking the same one every day.
I try to stay away from big name cigars with big advertising budgets, that’s what you’re paying for.
The cigar thread on here is a really good place to learn about them.
Learn how to keep a humidor, Boveda has made it so much easier.
Get a good torch and cutter/punch.
Move to the country build a big back deck and stock the liquor cabinet with good bourbon.
Yep

Try some Deadwood Sweet Janes. They're very smooth and have a slight flavor to them, although I can't place what the taste is. It's not like a flavored cigar necessarily, but definitely a sweet hint. It's probably my favorite anytime smoke. Also check out the Warfighter lines.

Reactions: Snaz
Try some Deadwood Sweet Janes. They're very smooth and have a slight flavor to them, although I can't place what the taste is. It's not like a flavored cigar necessarily, but definitely a sweet hint. It's probably my favorite anytime smoke. Also check out the Warfighter lines.
Where do get them?

Arturo Fuentes anjeo, don Carlos and Hemingway

Ashton maduro, that one surprised me as I’m not an Ashton fan.

The padron 1926 maduro #35, #6 and #2

For cheaper yet great cigars these are one on my favorites especially the oscuro

69DCC7A2-4CC1-413D-A582-4A540AEE733C.jpeg

Cigars are like guns , whiskeys , women and most other things everyone wants something to there tastes.
I am not an expert by any means as i have only smoked cigars for about 50 years. Just thought i would insert my .02 worth.
The ROMEO Y JULIETA crafted by A J FERNANDEZ. Churchill is my go to smoke. Smooth easy draw firm roll. A little on the stronger side but not peppery.
Another one i like is the Baptists 7x50 Maduro by Oliva. Not as good as the Romeo but a good change up.
As they say trying different ones is half the enjoyment of smoking cigars. Smoke slow and enjoy.

Attachments

• 48753CE9-6144-499B-8E1F-8762A53F44B8.jpeg
    48753CE9-6144-499B-8E1F-8762A53F44B8.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 69969F78-490D-4B9A-9E88-676CBAE7A2ED.jpeg
    69969F78-490D-4B9A-9E88-676CBAE7A2ED.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 31
Try the Rocky Patel sampler. I love the Rocky 1990 and 1992 series

Macanudo is a good light cigar. Here's a good sampler with some lighter smokes

Reactions: Chaps5800
Davidoff Colorado Claro Short Perfecto is an incredibly smooth cigar. Padron 64 Exclusivo Natural is another good one.

Maybe it's just me....
I don't get the fixation of putting a phallic shaped object in my mouth and sucking on it.
How do men get pleasure from this ?
Oh....wait....

Thanks, all. Yes, I did look search for and read through the cigar thread here first, but I am looking for something particular, which you have done a great job of answering.

Try the Rocky Patel sampler. I love the Rocky 1990 and 1992 series

Macanudo is a good light cigar. Here's a good sampler with some lighter smokes
I found the Romeo bully very poorly rolled, a good smoke but loose roll and uneven burn. Didn’t care for them for the price. Just my .02 worth

Cigars are like wine and bourbon... It's hard to recommend to 'taste.'

So the best advice above is to try lots of stuff. Buy individual cigars for a while... keep a notebook... and come back to what "you" like. Once you discover what you 'like' then you will be able to buy similar. Wrapper, style, region, etc. All are different. Butonce you know what 'your' basics are, then picking new ones won't be hard at all.

We really are in a golden age of cigars right now. I've been smoking them since High School... more than 40 years. And the 'cigar boom' of the 1990's was a horrible time for cigars. Supply was difficult, costs were up. Quality went into the toilet. The good news is that the 'post' boom years have seen a load of great cigars stay on the market. The dedicated keep the companies thriving. Quality is better than I think it's ever been.

Cigars are my one true relaxation. They involve flavor, ritual, some cool gear. And just a chance to sit back and watch smoke rings.

Whatever damage I might get from the 3 or so I smoke a week, is well-countered by the utter relaxation and unwind time I get while enjoying them.

It's an excellent 'vice' to pick up. Because a fine cigar is no vice at all!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Cigars are like wine and bourbon... It's hard to recommend to 'taste.'

So the best advice above is to try lots of stuff. Buy individual cigars for a while... keep a notebook... and come back to what "you" like. Once you discover what you 'like' then you will be able to buy similar. Wrapper, style, region, etc. All are different. Butonce you know what 'your' basics are, then picking new ones won't be hard at all.

We really are in a golden age of cigars right now. I've been smoking them since High School... more than 40 years. And the 'cigar boom' of the 1990's was a horrible time for cigars. Supply was difficult, costs were up. Quality went into the toilet. The good news is that the 'post' boom years have seen a load of great cigars stay on the market. The dedicated keep the companies thriving. Quality is better than I think it's ever been.

Cigars are my one true relaxation. They involve flavor, ritual, some cool gear. And just a chance to sit back and watch smoke rings.

Whatever damage I might get from the 3 or so I smoke a week, is well-countered by the utter relaxation and unwind time I get while enjoying them.

It's an excellent 'vice' to pick up. Because a fine cigar is no vice at all!

Cheers,

Sirhr
THIS^^^^ spot on

As much as Sirhr was spot on with his post, I'm going to add a few more bits of information. Most of the taste you get with a cigar come from the wrapper and not the fillers inside. The smaller the ring gage of the cigar, typically the more taste the cigar has. Unless you are ice fishing, or boating, I highly suggest lighting your cigar with a cedar spill. A torch makes short work of the job, but you will draw in the taste of the fuel or overheated tip. When you start to draw and exhale, breath out around 20% through your nose and 80% through your mouth. This will help you realize all the tastes and sensations the cigar holds. Also remember that price will hold no reflection on weather you enjoy your purchase. I'll take a $6/7 3000 series Padron every day of the week and 2x on Sunday if I'm working in the shop!

Last thing I will leave you with is... Buy a decent cutter! I'm a "V" cut guy, and it's pretty hard to over-cut a cigar with a decent "V" cutter.

Aaron

I am finding I don't like "peppery" tastes either. I just tried a My Father Fonseca last night and enjoyed it, I think you should give it a try, also not expensive. Also, a Davidoff Millennium is nice.

Padron's, especially the 1926 edition but really like their entry level products. Also my father promesa but more so les Flores de Antilles. You can thank me later.

My favorite line is the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur. My favorite is the #1 maduro and the Excaliber 660.

Mike

I have a couple of humidors and if it is wooden you will have to give it attention. Right now we are coming out of the winter so I will season mine as it needs more moisture due to heating the house.
Like dude said it is about what you fancy. If you like a cheap one then good for you, if not then it is an expensive habit. Montecristo is my fav but have much variety to change it up a bit. I prefer the lighter sticks and Montecristo does them exceptionally well.

download - 2022-08-07T220445.577.jpeg

If your lucky enough to receive a cigar from Bill Clinton it smells a little like bait on a hot summer day.....

Try a Camacho Connecticut. I have never had a bad one. No huge nicotine dose and very smooth. Reasonably priced, it’s a great go-to cigar for just about all occasions.

My go to brand is Padron, many good choices. I favor the larger gauges in maduro, but the smaller box press anniversaries are very good too at a higher price point. Always good consistent construction with lots of smoke volume and easy draw. Don’t think I’ve ever got a poorly crafted from them. They are a Nicaraguan puro filler, binder and wrapper.
Good luck and tastings, Kyle