• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just getting into cigars

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
As the title says, I just started smoking cigars. I know there's quite a few cigar aficionados here on the Hide. We got them pretty cheap in the Philippines, plus some of the guys on my FOB got them sent from home. I'm still trying to figure out what I like to smoke. I wasn't picky by any means. Whatever someone had, I would smoke just to see if I liked it.

I had my first Gurkha tonight and I really liked it. This was after wading through about five different kinds that I'd picked up that weren't memorable.

So far, I have like Arturo Fuentes, some Romeo y Julietas, and Cohibas. And of course the Gurhka I had tonight. Do you have any pointers for picking out good cigars? I tend to smoke about once or twice a week and usually buy $10 cigars. I like the midsize ones since I usually smoke out on my balcony with some whiskey to chill out and think.

I read the long cigar thread that was posted a bit earlier but some of the terms threw me off a bit. Are there any good sites you can recommend for buying cigars or learning the ins and outs of the various brands? I've heard that buying online is much cheaper than going to a retail store. Thanks for the help.

Re: Just getting into cigars

Try a St Luis Rey Titan Maduro, great smoke for the buck. Ghurkas rock, but the price puts them outta my everyday, deal.

Switch is pretty much the man on all brands, strengths etc.

Thompson Cigars often has sampler packs for a pretty good price. I haven't ever tried the packs of their house brands but I've gotten the ones that have a couple of Punch, Romeo & Julieta, AVO etc. Sometimes you can get a pack with a cheap humidor for pretty cheap.

I started smoking cigars back before it got trendy. Pipes too. After "Cigar Afectionado" and the cigar craze in the '90's I saw a lot of brands I had never heard of pop up in big glossy ads. Never was too sure about these Johnny come lately brands.

If you want a real Cuban, Canada is your most convenient answer. Importation still illegal right? Have had many friends bring "Cubans" in from Mexico, but for my nose I think they were all fakes.

My preference is for Churchill style/size cigars.

You will save money by buying them by the box.

Wrapped in plastic usually means machine made. No wrapper in a box often means hand made. I think you'll usually get better quality tobacco in the hand made cigars.

A lot of usuallies and generallies apply. Always exceptions.

The wrapper will have a big influence on the cigar.

These were a favourite high-end cigar at a modest price, full flavour, yet smooth:
http://www.caminoviejo.com/cigars/don-juan/
http://cubanmadecigars.com/71428s.html

You should try to find a cigar shop that will order what you want and discount for buying by the box.

Don't get cancer of the mouth and lip!

CAO Brazzilia and MX2 are my go-to's

Thanks for the help, gents. We did get to smoke Cubans in the Philippines and they were nice. There was a cigar/scotch bar in the Mandarin Hotel in Manila. God, that place was heaven on earth. Cigars, all the scotch you could drink, and beautiful women whose only job was to keep your cigar lit. Great place.

Monte Cristo #1's
Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona's
Macanudo's if you are looking for a mild smoke.
If you are new to cigars and get an opportunity to smoke a REAL cuban cigar-give it to someone who has smoked for awhile-MOST,cubans are BLOCKBUSTERS and can give you a bad nicotine head
laugh.gif

I like swisher sweets but the real Expert is CIGARCOP............. Hence "CIGAR" COP

I am a big fan of the Arturo Fuente Chateaus, Cohiba's ( I got to try a cuban Cohiba and got quite the nicotine high
smile.gif
) I also have enjoyed the Alec Bradley Tempus, and the Camacho Triple Maduro. It has been my experience that the darker the wrapper the stronger the flavor of the cigar.
The best way I found to find what you like and dont like is to try some samplers, the best ones that I have had came from Switchblade here on the Hide, however he is NOT currently distributing cigars now.
frown.gif
I hope that once he gets settled in his new house, he will start up is lil operation again. I havent found a cigar that he has recommended that I didnt enjoy. You might want to PM him and pick his brain, he knows his stuff.

What terms threw you off? There are some "terms" in cigars that will do that. Lets start there, so, in the future, you know what youre looking at.

Just like shooting, there are terms that are found no where else. So, best to learn em now.

Also, do you like strong cigars? Spicy? Sweet? Mellow? Like a woody flavor? Do you like an off white plastic tip? (If so, there is no hope for you.) Time: do you like one thats over in an hour? Sooner? Longer? Any size ring that you liked?

We're* here to help.

Welcome to the cigar world. Its a tasty place. One worth sticking around.

*PadronAnniv and Switch are the "we" in that.

What threw me off were the various terms for different sizes. I still can't recognize the sizes. Ah well, I'm sure it will come with time.

It's funny about the nicotine buzz. One of the Cubans I smoked definitely knocked my skull loose... but in a good way. Great buzz.

I'm starting to get an idea of my cigar tastes. I like the full-bodied cigars, and I usually like to smoke the cigar in under an hour unless I've got a friend to enjoy the cigars with. So far I like the fatter cigars, for some reason.

So here's some FNG questions about cigars:
1. Why do some cigars burn so evenly and others don't?
2. Is a punch or a cutter better to use?
3. What effect does the cigar diameter have?

Once again, thanks for the help.

I think a lot of how a cigar performs is in the rolling, a well made cigar indeed draws and thus burns very evenly.

Ive always preferred a cutter, kinda think that one is personal preferance

Ive like larger cigars preferably 50 or above, To me then just draw better and cooler then smaller ones.

My two favorite cigars are CAO Brazilia Amazon and Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro with plenty of Gurkha's and Hoyo's in there for back up

Natural by Drew Estate! I think it has wacky tabacky in it. Good shit! Last time I smoked was on CKAs back porch and was HIIIIGH. 18 beers may have helped the effect though!

If I remember correctly, fatter will inhale cooler (unless I have that reversed). I have only smoked Churchills for years so I don't remember anymore.

Well rolled and stored correctly and it will generally draw well.

1. Why do some cigars burn so evenly and others don't?

Construction has a lot to do with it as does the cut you use. A good even cut with a guilllatine is the way to go. It offers the most even draw through the cigar. A punch cutter is great for very large ring smokes, but for me doesn't draw well enough. A slit cutter, well have one but it collects dust.
Bad construction will give bad results. Also, if the cigar isn't lit evenly it may burn a bit uneven.
Ring Guage, the overall diameter of the cigar(measured in /64" as in a 50[robusto, 5"] a Churchill[47, 7.5"] or a Toro[50, 6"] will give different nuances in a cigar.
A Petite Corona(PC for short, 5.5 x 42 to 44) will give a very balanced taste of both the filler blend, and the wrapper. A large ring Robusto (54 ring) will give more highlight the filler blend a lot more and give loads of smoke.
A cigar is made to 'time'. If you have 45 minutes, a robusto or Rothchild is the choice. If 30 minutes is available then a PC is right. If one is drinking a 'Walkaround', smoking meat most of the day, then maybe a large churchill is the way to go(7.5" x 53)

Wrappers. Quite a few of those:
Maduro, the dark sweet wrapper with notes of chocolate, coffee, and toast. Do not be afraid of the dark wrapper, it's good!
Ligero, not as dark but strong with notes of espresso, toast and a richness that goes well wioth a nice bourbon.
Habano 2000/HAbano is a darker wrapper with sweet cocoa notes and a nice mellow flavor
Corojo. Peppery through the nose with a bit of a bite and a note of good spice
Connecticut Shade. The light one. Notes of Vanilla, Nutmeg, Creamy finish and smooth
Natural/Sun Grown the medium wrapper. Medium body, medium strength notes vary a bit but ususally give some toast, wood, a little spice, and a hint of allspice
CAmeroon, the leather and creamy taste notes highlighted with a bit of oak
And finally, SUmatra, the notes of coffee, sweet cedar, and nuts

Filler is Viso, Seco, Ligero, Cubano Pilato, Broadleaf. They vary in strength, and are what gives the different layers of flavor in a cigar. Viso is lower on the plant, Seco a little higher, ligero on top where the sun darkens it nicely and gives it the strength.

You want a rich cigar with lots of flavor in it, try the 601 Maduro or the Camacho SLR Maduro. For that espresso, toast and dark chocolate note try a Gurkha G3 Triple Ligero or a La Flor DOmoinicana DOuble Ligero MAduro. You want cocoa and more cocoa? On the lower cost end and quite a good everyday smoke is the Sancho Panza Double Maduro is dang good, Lots of chocolate. The CAmacho Triple MAduro is on the higher side of a $10 bill, but man the cocoa, mocha, oh wow is it good!
If you like that cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice note that is there but ever so fleeting, get a Joya de Nicaraugua Anteno 1970
You want a really smooth cigar with notes so light and a taste that will make you think you are really living well, try a Gurkha Black Rothchild Signature 1887, a Diamond Crown Maximus, or a Kristoff MAduro

There are so many good cigars out there, and quite a few that are just darn good. Me, I have my favorites:
La Flor Dominicana
PAdron 1926 40th Anniversary
Gurkha
Camacho
Rocky PAtel/Indian Tabac
...and there are more but my brain is fried for now

SHoot me an e-mail, I have a little bit of stuff you might find intresting reading

Can't find Sancho Panza's here. You are right of course. Someone got me hooked on them and now I am wandering the streets of Ybor, searching like Don Quixote...SANCHO, Donde Esta?

And the Grand Re-opening of Distorted Services comes in just a few more weeks I hope!

Grand reopening is still off a bit until I find a real job that actually pays more than the mortgage. I am looking at Summer to try and get going. Spring will be paperwork stuff to get right. Right now, the house is first because 'she' will not allow other projects until it's right
grin.gif