• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clean copper fouling?

ck1a

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Total newbie (to bolt precision rifles) question on bore cleaning. I run Otters bore cleaner on a patch, then a brass brush (.30 cal size), then wipe with a bore mop. If not shooting for a bit, run light oil. It's on a Bergara 300 PRC. Just ordered a Bore Tech Proof-Positive Bore Stix, coated one piece rod. Do I need to run a copper solvent? I'm not sure if copper fowling is an issue, or it's just another product for manufacturer's to sell. This may seem like a silly question, but I don't want to take any Joe Blow's youtube advice. TIA

Copper fouling is only an issue when it becomes excessive. The rifle will tell you when it’s time to clean some of the copper out. Copper fouling is actually necessary to maintain accuracy and precision. It’s when it gets excessive that it’s a problem.

Reactions: ck1a
And how often you have to mine copper will depend on the barrel. A premium hand lapped cut barrel in my experience fouls less and cleans up easier than say run of the milk factory barrels.

Reactions: ck1a
The rifle will tell you when it’s time to clean some of the copper out.

Serious question, what exactly does it tell you? Accuracy going to shit?

For me, copper never seems to really build until 1000 plus rounds (once the bore shows signs of fire cracking) and once established, its a bitch to get out and keep out.

Thanks

Serious question, what exactly does it tell you? Accuracy going to shit?

For me, copper never seems to really build until 1000 plus rounds (once the bore shows signs of fire cracking) and once established, its a bitch to get out and keep out.

Thanks
My groups will open up. Couple swipes with some copper solvent and brushes and after a few fouling shots it’s right back where it should be. There’s no magic number. Sometimes it doesn’t do it. But I’ll usually run some copper solvent through every 500 rounds or so but that it. Usually just some carbon solvent on a patch and some oil after each trip. I clean the receiver and chamber more often.