• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Clean. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    I've come to the conclusion that the only way you get good at something is with a whole lot of practice...

...unless your name is Lynn. Beginner's luck little bastage. . . :)

Nice job!

C.

2x tone Cerakote on bolt:

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Matching barreled action:

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

C
    Thats some nice stuff there! A little more than luck. Must have had a good teacher!
    Dave

Guys that looks great!! Could ya add that to my next build. Parts will be to you on Thursday. Could you do the brake ports black as well.

david

Wow, impressive. It looks like it was done by masking as you would with a stencil, but I have no idea what tape you'd use to mask it with, and then scalpel trim the flute lines and remove tape to spray the black. Is it FDE or something else?

Wow, impressive. It looks like it was done by masking as you would with a stencil, but I have no idea what tape you'd use to mask it with, and then scalpel trim the flute lines and remove tape to spray the black. Is it FDE or something else?

A round object like a marble works good for something like that, mask it all off then rub the marble along the flutes. It scores the tape so it peels off in the recessed area leaving the rest of the barrel taped.

A round object like a marble works good for something like that, mask it all off then rub the marble along the flutes. It scores the tape so it peels off in the recessed area leaving the rest of the barrel taped.

Tried it. Don't work. Tears the tape too much and you end up with a fuzzed up edge. Vinyl doesn't break clean enough.

So are you going to reveal what did work Chad? haha, i've only ever used Vinyl masks for Cerakoting but the corners/points can lift.

Tried it. Don't work. Tears the tape too much and you end up with a fuzzed up edge. Vinyl doesn't break clean enough.

I really figured that was similar to the method used but it's not the first time I have been wrong :)

I took a roll of 1/2" green 3M tape and threw it in the lathe. Mounted an Xacto blade like a parting tool and cut the roll to the thickness needed. A brand new blade made this an easy chore. Very crisp edges. From there it was just a matter of making sure hands were oil free and the surfaces were nice and clean. Good eyes, steady hands, and a little patience/luck. (this is where Lynn came in. . .)

No magical potions, promise.

Good luck.

C.

I took a roll of 1/2" green 3M tape and threw it in the lathe. Mounted an Xacto blade like a parting tool and cut the roll to the thickness needed.

SFM for painters tape and xacto knife? =) As always, great work, keep it up!

Hey guys, so this is my build! Obviously I am VERY pleased with the result! It started its life as a rem 700 varmint in 243, bone stock. Sent them the barreled action, bought a Bartlein 30 cal 11.25 twist M24 contour that I ordered from Southern Precision Rifles here on the Hide. Had LRI blueprint the action, spiral flute the bolt and barrel, cut the barrel to 24 in, thread the barrel, install timed muzzle brake, install tac bolt knob, and of course, 2 tone the barreled action in FDE, with the flutes and knob black.

Will shoot it this week as soon as I can. Thanks again