• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning dies with stainless media/tumbler?

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
Has anyone ever tried throwing dies in a stainless media tumbler setup? I just got set up to tumble with stainless and I have seen how well it works on brass, didn't know if it would hurt the dies or mess them up in any way.

Re: Cleaning dies with stainless media/tumbler?

Haven't tried it, but suspect it would be fine with most dies. All my RCBS, Redding and Forster dies are very, very hard.

Do your damndest to scratch a superficial, inconspicuous spot on your die with a tumbling pin. If you succeed in scratching the die, DON'T tumble. If no scratching, let it rip.

I'd also be interested to know if one could tumble the dies as well. Anyone tried it yet with the stainless media?

ooo no dont do it. Unless your dies have been rockwell treated. You might damage the threads

I WOULD NOT TRY IT.

This is why I have almost quit posting in this section. Put your cat in there with some SS media, it shoudl clean him up real good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is why I have almost quit posting in this section. Put your cat in there with some SS media, it shoudl clean him up real good too.
</div></div>

I understand, completely. BB

I certainly wouldn't put two dies in at the same time.

I haven't tumbled a die before and I don't intend to. I would ask why you feel the need to tumble them? I find that a soft cleaning brush with some of your favorite cleaning fluid does just fine. It's quicker and there is no water involved.

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why </div></div>

Same here. I've been able to clean up even the most crusty die with carb cleaner, penetrating oil, steel wool, or even Hoppe's.

No need to tumble.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I wouldn't use SS media, an ultrasonic cleaner would be much better on dies.

Oddly enough... I tried cleaning a couple dies one time in an ultrasonic cleaner. Got some bizarre looking 'burn' marks on the exterior finish; looks like someone scorched them with a hand torch or something. I don't know if it was whatever chemical I was using as a cleaning solvent at the time, or something else... but I don't plan on cleaning any more dies in the ultrasonic machine any time soon.

Personally I wouldn't try cleaning your dies in the tumbler with SS pins, either. Haven't tried it, but it just seems like too many things could go wrong, for relatively little gain over cleaning by hand. If you just want to clean the gunk out of the inside, spray some M-Pro 7 or similar gun cleaner on a 3" patch, put it over a .410 or 20 gauge brush on a short stick and swab out the inside of the die, followed by another dry patch - done.

I did it to an old Lee 30-06 die that was rusted to crap and I didn't feel like investing the time for a hand cleaning on a $13 Lee junker.

It cleaned up very nicely, did a very nice job overall and didn't hurt anything.

I don't know what level of rust/corrosion you're dealing with that would warrant a drastic step like this. In my case the die came from an estate sale and I was just curious to see how it would work. I don't have a need to do this to any of my actual "normal use" dies at all.

I have done several dies this way full sets at a time also carbide dies. Got a lot of dies from Hudson's salvage that had lots of rust. The results were great all cleaned up. And work perfect no damage on threads or scratching inside. I even threw in some Wilson inline seater dies stim and all then loaded some rounds and test run out nothing changed other than the rust was gone. It would take a lot more than tumbling in ss media with soap and water to destroy reloading dies.