• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes cleaning fingerprints off glass

Re: cleaning fingerprints off glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lenspen? </div></div>

+10,000. And don't get just one- buy several to keep in several places.

Thanks guys i used the lens pen = no good. Im going to try using the isopropyl with the nightforce cloth that came with the scope.
Thanks guys for the help

No, but it keeps fingerprint off the lens
laugh.gif

I got Zeiss lens cleaner with my high end eye-glasses and they have the same coating - the zeiss works great...

+ 1 on acetone(Burris recommends it).And Ive also used cotton balls and cotton makeup pads with water(paymore attention when your Wife or Girlfriend goes in the cosmetic aisle
smile.gif
).
Ive used the pads many,many times with just water(distilled is the safest way I believe even thoughI just use my well water).I use a couple pads with water and kind of polish away after I'm sure theres no grit on the lense.I then use multiple dry cotton pads until the lense dries

Ive been doing this for a long time without any issues.If something realy nasty gets on there I use the Acetone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billjennings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was admonished not to use water if I could help it. Water will potentially degrade the lens coatings.

Here's a link with some good instructions:

http://www.usoptics.com/index.php?page=instructions </div></div>
I couldn't possibly argue with your logic and info
blush.gif
I think listening to usoptics is a safe bet
grin.gif
I'm shooting from a $500 dollar scope and Ive used the cotton pads and just water for a couple years without any problems with the coating,But Listening to someone who actually knows(for fact) makes more sense
wink.gif
.Acetone is proven safe by more than one company and if its good enough for USoptics than I think it should be good enough for the rest of us .

I dont like to wipe my glasses here in the sandbox, so what I will do is take the lens cleaner I got and just start spraying the hell out of them, I use alot of lens cleaner this way, but I would rather waste a little of that then get a super scratched up set of specs in the middle of my trip. after the mass dries off I use a little and a lens cloth, has worked like a champ so far.

Using too much lens cleaner could potentially degrade the seals. Distilled water is likely OK but using tap water has minerals. The deposited minerals will scratch the lens.
Astronomers use distilled water and very small amount of dish soap in cleaning their high end telescopes. They first gently brush off dust with camel hair brushes then use the distilled water/soap solution and then rinse with copious distilled water. When the distilled water evaporates it produces a clean spotless surface. I'm not an astronomer and I very rarely clean but this has worked well enough for me with some optics.
Best is to not ever touch it. Cleaning less is better. Clean at your own risk.

Also used Acetone, per US Optics works great, I filtered it though, dont know if I needed to but I did

I have used acetone on Takahashi and Televue large objective refractors and it works well. Recommended by Televue. I use tissues instead of q-tips, but either is ok.

Thanks guys for all of the info. I did by a lens pen and it worked perfect. I also got ahold of a women in tech support at nightforce and she said that they use rubbing alcohol. Or the 20 dollar nightforce cleaning kit.