• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Kit

.257wby

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just getting started in long range shooting, but something I have always wanted was a complete cleaning kit. I think that if I had an adequate cleaning kit cleaning would not be such a chore.

So, I am looking for recommendations from experience. Are there any complete kits I should look into? I would love to just be able to buy a whole kit and be done with it.

But

If building my own is necessary, what should I get? I have several other handguns, shotguns, rifles ect besides my LR setup. What makes the best complete kit, what is necessary?

Re: Cleaning Kit

For rifles, a one piece rod is a must. The kits that you have to screw the rods together will break on you.

I mainly run Deweys on mine and also had good luck with a Tipton Carbon Fiber rod. Jags, patches and brushes are also a must for your long guns. Another thing I always have a steady supply of is Q-tips or ear swabs.

Bore cleaner is going to vary from person to person. I like to wipe down stuff and clean the exterior of my guns with alcohol. Nothing too aggressive that can possibly eat plastic or eat away at some of the finishes.

Lube, I just use a light grease on my bolt. For anything that uses oil as the lube, Mobil 1 has always worked for me. I know it might not be popular with some. My rational is that a motor goes through a lot more abuse and runs at higher temps then guns do. So why not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

Lube, I just use a light grease on my bolt. For anything that uses oil as the lube, Mobil 1 has always worked for me. I know it might not be popular with some. My rational is that a motor goes through a lot more abuse and runs at higher temps then guns do. So why not? </div></div>

i have heard that about motor oil but i have to agree with otis. they are very impressive company with a great product. lifetime warranty is a plus. but if you consider an otis kit order off ebay to save a little money. i got my hardcore hunter off ebay for 23 dollars instead of 76 directly from otis.

your gonna surprised that many of us don't clean our rifles very offten, my 308 has 1000-1500 without cleaning, my 260 gets cleaned every 200, but thats gonna get extended 500.

Tipton Carbon Fiber rod
Lucus boreguide for each caliber
I only use Parker Hal Jags
Nylon Brushes
Patches
Action Cleaning kit
Grease for lugs
I only use Butches Bore Shine and/or Kroil
Lighter Fluid to clean the triggers
Inside your cleaning kit\plastic toolbox have all the tools to compltetly break your weapon down, screwdrivers, piliars, torque wrench or wrenches, level, and assorted bits

i have a range kit that i continually improve on..as far as adding and taking away items...wish Dewey made a rod for the length of a barrel exactely