• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cleaning my new Anschutz (any .22 Barrel)

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
Just got a new to me 2003 Anschutz 64MPR. I want to give it a good cleaning before I bench mark where I am with it. Heard a lot of different methods on de-leading a barrel from Hoppes #9 (which I didnt think worked on lead) to copper pot scubbers and even a piece of aluminium screen...whats everyone using???

Re: cleaning my new Anschutz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a new to me 2003 Anschutz 64MPR. I want to give it a good cleaning before I bench mark where I am with it. Heard a lot of different methods on de-leading a barrel from Hoppes #9 (which I didnt think worked on lead) to copper pot scubbers and even a piece of aluminium screen...whats everyone using??? </div></div>

There are innumerable ways to properly clean a barrel, and everyone has their favorite tools and procedures. I've used a myriad of approaches over the years, and my favorite is the Hoppe's Viper Boresnake coupled with Hoppe's #9 and finally a light film of protective gun oil to finish things. The Viper has a brush built into it.

Thanks….I’m asking about getting LEAD out of a rim fire barrel. I just wanted to see what others are using….Mercury in the barrel, SOS pads etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks….I’m asking about getting LEAD out of a rim fire barrel. I just wanted to see what others are using….Mercury in the barrel, SOS pads etc. </div></div>

I have several shooting buddies who use a product called ProShot Lead Cleaning Cloths. I have not personally used it, but they seem enthusiastic about it. I do know that it is inexpensive and readily available from many vendors.

There are many ways to clean. Soak your barrel as long as the product allows and keep the patches small enough that you don’t have to pound the rod down the barrel. I clean my barrels with Butch’s bore shine, but I am guessing any quality cleaner will work. I normally use a plastic brush unless very leaded, then I use a brass brush. I never use a steel brush. I don’t care for slotted tips. to remove the cleaner from the barrel I use a smaller plastic brush and put a patch over it. I suppose Butch's is more for copper, but it seems to do the job on lead in my .22s

Butch's bore shine works for lead also. I use it in all my firearms that I shoot cast boolits in. It works very well.

Personally I would never put a brush in my rifles unless I was lapping the barrel. No other time do I use brushes. I just use the properly sized patch and a jag.

Apply the Butch's and let it soak for a little(depending on how much leading you have). Then keep running dry patches until clean. Repeat if necessary. But no brushes in my rifles. Tom.

My shooting coach, who owns several Anschutz's, uses a bore guide that replaces the bolt, a carbon fiber cleaning rod, and a copper brush with cleaning solvent. After brushing, she runs patches through, repeating as necessary. She has been doing so for decades without any harm to the rifles.

I use a bore snake in my 10/22 w/ Volquartsen barrel. Asking her about it, she said that bore snakes are a sure way to not harm the barrel, but they do not get the barrel clean enough for her.

She is also sure to emphasize that brass (or anything else that is soft) cleaning rods tend to become impregnated with the glass particles used in .22 primers and harm the barrel more than carbon fiber or even steel.

Somewhere along the way I was convinced by long range rimfire shooters much older, wiser, and more experienced than myself that cleaning a .22 barrel does more harm to the rifling and thus long-term accuracy than just leaving the barrel alone and only cleaning the bolt, chamber, etc. as needed. Is this incorrect?

I use Hoppes 9 and Shooters Choice and a good bore brush (carefully) on my rimfires.

Now the trick with the rimfire is when cleaning the bore be prepared to set shoot for a bit to get it to settle back in. I clean the wax left behind from the Eley Black Box stuff and what ever off the bolt all the time but rarely clean the bore. With my Anschutz Silhouette 64 MS I had I'd run anywhere between 20-50 rounds through it before accuracy came back around to where I was happy with it. It was a very good shooter and very accurate for a 64 with a Leupy 12x mounted in it. It was about 20 years old at the time, I was the second owner and didn't mess to much with a good thing.

Clean carefully, shoot and don't worry about it again for another year or so.

I put right at 5,000 through my 64 MPR in 2011 and never put a brush through it that contacted the inside of the barrel, not even one time.

I use a combination of Butch's Bore Shine & Kroil on a plastic 17 caliber brush with 22 caliber patch wrapped around it. Let it soak a while and then just patch it out till its clean. I have only had to do this procedure about every 1,000 rounds or so.

All the other times I just clean the bolt and chamber and run a few dry patches down the bore to get out the loose powder residue. If I am shooting again in a week or two I leave it alone. If it going to be longer than a few weeks, I will oil the bore lightly. I always oil the bolt and chamber lightly each time after I clean them.

Bore looks just like it did when I bought the rifle and it still shoots better than I can most of the time.

Good luck with your 64 MPR, you gonna love it.

AR

I use Wipeout, spray it and leave it for 24 hours wipe it clean, and oil...easy as that

Re: cleaning my new Anschutz (any .22 Barrel)

I rarely clean my Cooper bore, only when accuracy starts to fall off. I probably go ~2500+ rounds before cleaning and then I use Sentry Solutions moly treatment.

This is my question as well^^^^^^
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Why do you feel you need to "scrub" the barrel. I use Ed's Red for my 22's and it gets them clean. Dewey 17 rod and a 20 cal jag and a patch that fits just right. I believe in keeping them fairly clean, Accuracy seems to drop off around 150-200 rounds in all I have seen. But then I am requiring absolute benchrest performance from a 22. Most people clean them too much and improperly. If you have a high dollar 22 there should never be a need to put any brush through the bore.
Whoever told you to remove lead from a barrel with copper pot scrubber(most of them are not really copper) and/or aluminum screen, is a fargin moron. Don't ever put a stainless brush in a barrel either.
If you have lead in your barrel so bad a bronze brush won't remove it, you need a foul out machine simple as that.

I have shot rimfire for a while position and benchrest types.

The optiom cleaning is to really never scrub the barrel clean.
The enemy in rimfire is powder fouling in the chamber area and throat and the barrel.
You need a proper fitting bore guide a good cleaning rod a Dewey or a Tipton or an Ivy rod, diameter either a 20 or 17 cal. and a good brass jag and good tight patches.
Solvent either a gun scrubber or brake cleaner to cut the powder and the bullet lube down.

2 or three passes with the solvent through the barrel and then 2 or 3 patches in the throat area. And I used 1 patch of alochol to absorb the solvent and 1 dry patch and done.

I never really agressively cleaned the barrel the lead won't harm anything.
I will take about 10 -25 rounds to settle the rifle back don.
Remember thios in the Anschutz factory they have some test guns with over 1,000,000 rounds and have never been cleaned.

For lead removal, I use Shooter's Choice. If the barrel is badly leaded, it can take a lot of passes. I might use a brush pushed towards the bore only to apply solvent, and then use wet patches, let it soak for 30 minutes or so, then dry patches until the come out clean. Repeat as needed.

My worse case was a Ruger Mk II pistol. After finally getting a built up spot of lead out, I found the issue. There was an indention in the bore where lead would collect and then build up. Ironically, the gun shot as well leaded as unleaded and of the two mk ii's I own, it shoots the best by far.

That little lead pill makes fools of us all.

Wipe-out No-Lead
Wipe-Out
I use Wipe-Out Foam bore cleaner and a Otis Pull Through Cable in all my rifles. No brushing, no bore guides, no cleaning rods banging in the bore and no pulling the dirty rod back through the bore. Just pull the cable through the bore.

I cut off the brass end of the rimfire cable and I cover the end with tape. I don't like the brass end touching the bore and it was a hard fit in some rimfire chambers.
I need to cover the larger cable brass end with something like liquid tape so it doesn't touch the bore when I thread it through the bore.

Wipe-Out had a No-Lead I have not tried, I don't shoot lead.

I have doubts about the benefits of stringent cleaning for 22 bores.

But...,

22 chambers will periodically lead up at the far end of the chamber, and that can affect both funtion and accuracy.

For this problem, I consider Shooters' Choice Lead Remover Solvent to be a superior remedy. Let the solvent do the work. Apply and leave it to infiltrate beneath the lead fouling and loosen it so it can be removed by conventional brush and patches. Usually, just working on the chamber end of the bore seems to work best for me.

Actions need to be kept reasonably clean and lubed to operate properly. Caked bullet lube and powder gunk is not uncommon, and does nobody any good.

Greg

What doubts do you have?

The same cable cleans my 22's and my 223. I cut my own patches from muzzle loading patches so I can make them fit the bore. I don't use the $$$ round Otis patches. I just cut the patch to size, or you could buy them if you knew with sizes worked for each rife. Cut a slit in the patch and pull it through. You know when its the right size when you the cable twists when the patch follows the rifling.

The cable system is nice as you can take it with you and doesn't take up room. The only thing I use a rod for is to unstuck a stuck spent 22lr round in the chamber, sold that rifle, so its not much an issue any more.

The cable system has brushes but with Foam Bore cleaner or the newer Patch-Out there is no need for scraping the bore with a wire brush.

How can it be good for a bore to have a wire brush running through it. I would like to have a cut section of barrel and see how much marking the brush makes.