• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Product "Wipe-Out" any opinions?

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.

It seems that with increasing frequency I hear more and more about Wipe-Out as being a simple and effective cleaner.

Has anybody used the product and have an opinion?
What are you using afterwords, if anything?

Thanks.

Re: Cleaning Product "Wipe-Out" any opinions?

Have used this and the Break Free foaming bore cleaners off and on over the years. As a test tried cleaning a couple HK .223s that a friend had borrowed (he was busy building a rifle for me, so did not wish to distract him by cleaning, which I can do fine). Cleaned the rifles over the next week a few times a day with the foaming bore cleaners, with and with out brushing.
After was done and they were "clean", I then tried my standard alternating Kroil (on copper brush) and Shooters Choice - which started to get out the carbon and copper. Also tried Barrett's Bore cleaner (which is starting to replaced the Kroil and Shooters Choice) with a nylon brush.

Bottom line I still use both foaming bore cleaners for a quick cleaning, in particular of the HKs (cleans the chamber area also) but for anything that I really need to take out copper etc., tend to pass.

I haven't tried Wipe-Out, but I am using Gunslick Pro foaming cleaner which I'm sure is similar.

I used it for the first time this last week. After shooting 170rds out of my .243AI I spayed the foam in the barrel and let it sit for 30 minutes. Came back with a patch on a jag and cleaned it out. After one pass, the barrel was clean. I even ran another patch of butch's bore shine through to see if I could get anything else out of the barrel and it was as clean as could be.

Needless to say I'm sticking to the foaming barrel cleaners in the future.

Reactions: gigamortis

I was pretty surprised to see how effective Wipeout is. It's not something I use for regular cleaning - just once every 250 rounds or so. Fill the bore and let it sit overnight - it's very effective.

I love it...works like a charm...

It works amazing if you have the time to wait for it. It's not something you'd use at the range. FWIW, I have a few other bore solvents, but I don't actually find myself using anything except Wipe-Out. Be sure to get the Sharp-Shooter-R one. There are some imitations that I hear aren't safe to leave in the bore for so long.

I tend to shoot my stuff til the groups fall off to where I'm not consistently staying on the target of choice. Generally that target of choice is a MOA or slightly larger plate at distance.

Then I clean, and I use WipeOut. I fired around 1300 rounds of 30-06 in the past calendar year in different flavors. It was cleaned 2 times, the second time was about a week ago.

My bolt action 223 has only been in the cabinet for about 3 months, it has close to 1000 rounds down the tube, I cleaned it for the very first time (factory barrel) last week as well. It was copper fouled to where I could no longer stick to a 6" plate @ 500y, I thought initially it was my lacking wind skills, turned out to be a grouping problem. After cleaning, right back to sub MOA groups easily.

The stuff works, I keep it on the shelf in the closet and use it a couple times a year at most. Usually when I am stuck cleaning 1 rifle, I'll clean a couple others that might be coming up on the interval as well just to avoid the hassle.

A piece of advice, go sparingly with it and don't let it get on anything that has Alumahyde or Alumahyde II on it otherwise you'll soon have bare metal.

I don't own anything with Cerakote or Gun Kote, so I don't know how it affects those coatings. It doesn't bother blueing at all.

How many of you have at least tried SeaFoam from the Auto parts stores. Haven't tried in a rifle yet but I run it through my engines every 12K and it keeps the HP up and keeps them purring. I put some in my truck at 122K and I was amazed. It felt like 40 more ponies under the hood. I ran other cleaners through every 6K and they made half the diffence. Almost makes me wanna take the block apart before and after to see what a difference it makes in the cylinders. Might try it in my .223 to give it a try.

Justin

Huge fan of Wipe Out. I have been using it for quite some time now. I cleaned a new barreled rifle with some Hoppes No 9 and then again with the Wipe Out. There was all kinds of crap the Hoppes didn't get out that Wipe Out did. Works great.

Many thanks to all.

On the subject of Sea Foam, be careful in your car. Some say there is not enough lubricity in Sea Foam (for the WOT run out) and strongly recommend Auto RX.

http://www.auto-rx.com/

Also, there may be issues with Sea Foam on modern valve stem seals that are avoided with RX.

From RX..

Valve stem seals

There are many automobile engines that have worn or fouled stem seals without any appreciable loss in compression. Normally, a stem seal's lack of integrity results in burning oil caused by oil seeping down into the combustion chamber, usually causing a plume of blue smoke during cold starts, acceleration, or deceleration. Many cars run just fine with less than perfect valve stem seals. But frequently, with more than desirable amounts of oil being burned in the combustion chamber, it becomes much more likely that the piston rings will become coked up from poor fuel efficiency. When the rings, particularly the top two compression rings, get bonded together, they cannot work independently and compression suffers. If this is your case, then you can expect great improvement from an Auto-Rx(r) cleaning and rinse. Also, many times with oil burning from poor stem seals, deposits form at the interface of the valve and its seat at the head, resulting in poor sealing and lost compression. Auto-Rx(r) would help here also. Auto-Rx(r) can also clean oil contaminants from the polymer valve stem seal material. After cleaning, they sometimes rebound to good functionality.

Sounds like need to try Wipe Out with the Accelerator for a fair comparison. Thanks, would make life a little easier.

I have an opinion about it. I had about a 10 year love affair with Wipe Out and the Accelerator. Over the years I saw a few things (rusty bolts and action interiors) that made me question if the Wipe Out was the culprit or maybe just not getting the water out completely. I keep my guns in a heated safe with 30% humidity so I was not sure if it was water or the Wipe Out. My son does most of the cleaning now days was saying he thought the Wipe Out was rusting our Weatherby's bolts and actions. It was very mild and would wipe out with a little gun oil but is has pulled some of the bluing off the inside of the actions. Wipe Out pitted my buddies $6000 custom 338 Allen Mag Bat Action. None of our other guns were affected. It does clean bore really well without the need for brushing. I was blindly in love with Wipe Out after everyone I talked into it had long since dumped it.

Well it all came crashing down when I bought a new 700P in 338 Lapua. Every time I used it I would get the black then blue out on the first soaking and then I always run a 3rd to test it. Well I started pulling brown patches. According to the can the brown indicates carbon. I thought great. It's doing its job. I have never had a Lapua before and I thought well maybe it was a carbon maker. Well each soak on that clean barrel it just kept getting worse until I finally pushed out a solid ORANGE patch. Okay this is rust looking. I shined my Surefire into the chamber and here is what I saw in my brand new rifle.

This rifle has less than 50 rounds fired at this point. I flipped out. I had to detail strip, scrub, neutralize this menace. Lot's of brushes with Hollands Witches brew got the rust out of the bore and Rem Oil / CLP soaked brushes got te rest of the rust off.

Now my official opinion of Wipe Out is it sucks!

I have a brand new 16 ounce bottle of Bore Tech Eliminator. I comes highly recommended by a couple gunsmiths who I hold in high regard. It can be left in the bore as a protective coating it's that safe.

I've had similar results with Wipe Out & Accelerator on my SS Howa. To be honest though my Howa rusts if somebody boils a kettle in the house!

That said, I still use Wipe Out & Accelerator for cleaning, but patch the barrel dry afterwards and then oil. Since working this way, I've had no further problems with rust.

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It works amazing if you have the time to wait for it. It's not something you'd use at the range. FWIW, I have a few other bore solvents, but I don't actually find myself using anything except Wipe-Out. Be sure to get the Sharp-Shooter-R one. There are some imitations that I hear aren't safe to leave in the bore for so long. </div></div>
Why would you want something to clean a barrel on the range? Shouldn't you just leave the barrel until it needs it not just to look cool.

I have never had a rust problem with it...of course, after i get it all pushed out, and dry, i go ahead and put some oil down the bore and chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never had a rust problem with it...of course, after i get it all pushed out, and dry, i go ahead and put some oil down the bore and chamber. </div></div>

Somewhere on the bottle or in the paperwork that comes with Wipeout, it states that its actually a rust inhibitor and there is no need to oil....As I already mentioned, my experience was just the opposite so as with yourself, I now remove all trace of it and oil, and that seems to have cured the problem...

let them know about the rust. they might be able to help

I use wipeout for cleaning bolt action rifles. Thanks to the Hide I am in a twelve step program to wean myself of cleaning after every range trip. Now I clean after the rifles start loosing accuracy. Wipeout seems to do a great no brush cleaning and gets things out that the other cleaners I have tried leave in.
I have not NOTICED any trouble with rust, but after I dry patch the wipeout, I patch with a 50/50 mix of Kroil and Hoppes and put up the gun. Maybe I have just lucked into not getting rust by using the kroil.
madd0c

I have used Wipe Out for several years now on both chrome moly and stainless barrels. IMHO Wipe Out works well on copper fouling if you give it time, and there is no ammonia or harsh solvent smell. I have found it is not as effective on carbon fouling as copper fouling.

I have known a few folks who thought their barrels were clean but were supprised at how much copper Wipe Out (and some other new fangled copper solvents) pulled out.

I use it per directions and it works. I also use an 8 inch piece of flexible 3/8" tubing to apply the foam & wait to pull the tube till the foam stopps exiting the muzzle so the foam doesn't back up into the action or bedding. I just do that because I'm cautious & don't want to have to wipe it out of the action.

FWIW & YMMV

Reactions: BurtG

I've used wipe out a couple times over the past few years. ibought 3 "cans" from midway. when i use it, it works great. no rust... period

I have an opinion about it. I had about a 10 year love affair with Wipe Out and the Accelerator. Over the years I saw a few things (rusty bolts and action interiors) that made me question if the Wipe Out was the culprit or maybe just not getting the water out completely. I keep my guns in a heated safe with 30% humidity so I was not sure if it was water or the Wipe Out. My son does most of the cleaning now days was saying he thought the Wipe Out was rusting our Weatherby's bolts and actions. It was very mild and would wipe out with a little gun oil but is has pulled some of the bluing off the inside of the actions. Wipe Out pitted my buddies $6000 custom 338 Allen Mag Bat Action. None of our other guns were affected. It does clean bore really well without the need for brushing. I was blindly in love with Wipe Out after everyone I talked into it had long since dumped it.

Well it all came crashing down when I bought a new 700P in 338 Lapua. Every time I used it I would get the black then blue out on the first soaking and then I always run a 3rd to test it. Well I started pulling brown patches. According to the can the brown indicates carbon. I thought great. It's doing its job. I have never had a Lapua before and I thought well maybe it was a carbon maker. Well each soak on that clean barrel it just kept getting worse until I finally pushed out a solid ORANGE patch. Okay this is rust looking. I shined my Surefire into the chamber and here is what I saw in my brand new rifle.

This rifle has less than 50 rounds fired at this point. I flipped out. I had to detail strip, scrub, neutralize this menace. Lot's of brushes with Hollands Witches brew got the rust out of the bore and Rem Oil / CLP soaked brushes got te rest of the rust off.

Now my official opinion of Wipe Out is it sucks!

I have a brand new 16 ounce bottle of Bore Tech Eliminator. I comes highly recommended by a couple gunsmiths who I hold in high regard. It can be left in the bore as a protective coating it's that safe.

I had a similar experience with Wipe Out: used it for years with great results then suddenly started getting "rust" (or what I thought was rust) residue in the bore every time I used it, especially noticeable in stainless bores -- made me nuts!!!

Then I noticed that the reddish rust tint was present in Wipe Out before it even went into the bore (drips direct from the can showed "rust" on a clean towel).

I called Wipe Out about it, and the old man there finally admitted that they'd had a problem with the red plastic liners of their Wipe Out aerosol cans. Apparently the red plastic liner dissolves inside the can and leaves the reddish brown residue. According to Wipe Out, they have fixed this problem.

Mystery solved, but still a bloody pain in the ass....

Wipeout works great on copper and light carbon, but not that great on a heavy carbon ring. Still need the brush for that ...
Good luck!

I use wipe out and accelerator but every time I do it takes at least a hundred rounds to get back to half MOA. It takes all of the fouling and copper out quickly. I only use it occasionally.

IMHO Wipe Out works well on copper fouling if you give it time, and there is no ammonia or harsh solvent smell. I have found it is not as effective on carbon fouling as copper fouling.

I've heard the no ammonia claim, but it sure smells like ammonia to me, at least in their "Patch-Out" solvent.

I agree with you on the inferior carbon cleaning characteristics. Hoppes does a much better job on carbon than Wipe-Out "Patch-Out" does.

I've never used Wipe-Out due to the damage it can do (based on manufacturers warnings about stock finishes, ect.). Instead I use Patch-Out which is made by the same company but is a liquid instead of a foam. I've used it for over five years on everything from antiques to modern and it works very well while being less caustic to other materials.

I have been using Wipe-Out exclusively in a 243 since it was new, round count is sitting at 2600 and change as of today. I did run into a carbon ring issue which required bore paste, and I also noticed if I run a patch of Hoppes down the bore and let it sit I would get some blue on the patch, so the Wipe-Out isnt getting it all out. I fire 200-300 rounds between cleaning since its a match rifle, using the accelerator before the foam. The rifle has always been a one hole gun so I never questioned the way or frequency it was getting cleaned, nor have I noticed the red rusty color. Its not the end all of bore cleaners, it isnt the best at getting carbon out or the best at removing copper, but it does clean well.

Reactions: BurtG
The product is great, and Terry Paul the mfg. is a great guy as well. He told me he has barrel sections cut off and stored for years in Wipe Out and occasionally has them microscopically examined. They have exhibited no change for many, many years. Also, all of his products are not harmful to humans. I really like his sizing lube.
He also has a product called patch out that is the same bore cleaner, but not a foam, just use on a patch. I use it as it is less messy.

Reactions: deersniper
I use CLP to scrub the bore with the brush to get the chunks of carbon and the debris out of the bore, followed up by some Barnes copper solvent to remove the copper.

I had a similar experience with Wipe Out: used it for years with great results then suddenly started getting "rust" (or what I thought was rust) residue in the bore every time I used it, especially noticeable in stainless bores -- made me nuts!!!

Then I noticed that the reddish rust tint was present in Wipe Out before it even went into the bore (drips direct from the can showed "rust" on a clean towel).

I called Wipe Out about it, and the old man there finally admitted that they'd had a problem with the red plastic liners of their Wipe Out aerosol cans. Apparently the red plastic liner dissolves inside the can and leaves the reddish brown residue. According to Wipe Out, they have fixed this problem.

Mystery solved, but still a bloody pain in the ass....
So straight shooter wasn’t even getting rust. That’s funny