• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Products

Whyte23

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2020
Scotland, UK
Hi
Been using many different products over the years but found an awesome biodegradable range for rifle and shotgun cleaning that isnt harmful unlike most others. The other thing I like is that it's not aerosol, so you get the quantity its says on the bottle. It is also Made in Scotland local to me. It's called Ammo ProGun. On a site call criffelcountrywear.co.uk
I thought my guns were clean until I used some of these products.
What's everyone else using?

whatevers on hand honestly....at the moment, its Balistol....works decent, great for Black powder residue.

ive never been a big brand loyalist....it all works if im honest.

then again ive always been one of those people who get their gun "clean enough".

A good mix of things then.
I'm not particular about brands either but this range has maybe changed that for me. It's very new to the market so unknown to most but it's awesome on everything.
I have a sample of a new waterproofing they do which can be used on most materials including leather and textile but also you can spray on hard surfaces, even your guns! It has an abrasion property in it should last longer than most Waterproof sprays. It's not on the market yet but soon will be.

I used hoppes forever and got some boretech eliminator to try and the boretech just melts the carbon away. Going to be using it from now on.

For Copper - Montana Extreme 50 BMG
For Carbon- Bore Tech Carbon Remover

Butches Bore Shine at the range.

Rarely on occassion Wipe Out and Accelerator

I tried the Ammo Pro Gun Carbon and copper cleaner. It's a one hit solution. Works really well. I used to use MPro 7 copper cleaner but this is every bit as good if not better imho

Octagon Bore Cleaner. I think I have 1 1/2 gallons. I have a few other bottles like Hoppes sitting around, too.

Hoppes for bores, simple green for everything else. Butch’s patches are the best, fight me.

How many people actually check their bore with a bore scope after cleaning to see if what they are using actually is working

How many people actually check their bore with a bore scope after cleaning to see if what they are using actually is working

Only when I am trying to get copper out. Boretech's copper remover works.
If I'm just doing a quick clean, I just run some Lucas bore cleaner till patches don't come out with black. I still look though, just because it is there and I have it.

Been using Bore Tech, Shooter's Choice, and CLP for 20 years now. I don't trust any of the tree hugger, biodegradable shit whether it be for cleaning firearms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I want the stuff that causes birth defects and cancer. We all gotta die someday right ;)

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Been using Bore Tech, Shooter's Choice, and CLP for 20 years now. I don't trust any of the tree hugger, biodegradable shit whether it be for cleaning firearms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I want the stuff that causes birth defects and cancer. We all gotta die someday right ;)

Well, better stop using Boretech then. It's environmentally safe and non-harmful. Not sure on the other two.

Well, better stop using Boretech then. It's environmentally safe and non-harmful. Not sure on the other two.

Just looked on their website, and you're right. Although, the supply I have dates back 15+ years when I bought a shit load during a sale they had. Either way, it's good stuff.

WipeOut to clean and Lubriplate for rails/bolt. For pistols use CLP.

Simple green is good stuff. Regardless of the toxicity

For Copper - Montana Extreme 50 BMG
For Carbon- Bore Tech Carbon Remover

Butches Bore Shine at the range.

Rarely on occassion Wipe Out and Accelerator
Why rarely on the Wipe Out? Cleans it to much or not enough?

I use ,

Bore Tech Copper Remover
Bore Tech Carbon Remover
50 BMG
Tetra Gun Grease

I also keep a jar of Hoppes #9 around because the scent makes me happy.

G96 CLP for wipe downs - smells great
Bore Tech for Carbon
KG12 Big Bore or Wipe Out Patch Out - I have both

Boretech Cu2+ for copper is the best I’ve used. No ammonia, noncorrosive.
Hoppes #9 for powder. So so on lead.
Lead Away cloth/patches are best for lead.
Ballistol for wipedown before storage. Good powder solvent. So so on lead.
FP-10 lubricant for semiauto bolts or anything else that would get gummed up in freezing temps.

I heard some folks use brake cleaner. Never used it myself especially when there is so much products out there.

I heard some folks use brake cleaner. Never used it myself especially when there is so much products out there.
Brake cleaner simply cleans out chemicals. It's good when you change from carbon cleaner to copper cleaner

I open the Hoppes #9 and set it to the side for the aroma while I clean using the Boretech. I used the #9 my dad started me on for forty years before trying newer products. Cleaning doesn't seem right without the smell of good ole #9. It probably accelerates brain deterioration.

I used to do a lot of duck hunting with my dad and we always cleaned our shotguns with #9. Love the smell, brings back good memories.

Reactions: Stoweit