• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning question. Should last patch be dry or wet?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
Would like your opinion on this. Should the last patch you run down your gun be completely dry, or should it be a little wet with oil?

I read that you can damage the barrel if there is too much oil in the barrel, but I don't know what constitutes too much. Will applying oil to the last patch be enough oil in the barrel to damage the barrel?

What I have been doing is slightly put a little bit of oil on the last patch and squeeze it into the patch. I figure there is no way that this could be too much oil to damage the barrel and I would have the protection of the oil layer for the last patch.

I honestly don't know here and always wonder about this and that is why I would like your opinions here and what you think and do.

Thanks

For long term storage you're fine, in fact, this is my preferred method.

For immediate use or short term storage, I think you are probably fine as well.

The caution about oil in the barrel is more like LOTS of oil in my experience.

Doesn't sound like you fit that category.

Squeezing the oil bottle and shooting oil down your barrel, IMO, would be too much oil. Putting oil on a patch and running down the barrel is in no way bad for it. Just make sure you run another patch to get most of it out before shooting again.

My last patch always has some oil on it. Usually 2-3 drops on the 'tip" with the rest of the dry patch sliding behind it if that makes sense.

I run a few oiled patches followed by one dry. Put her away. When ready to shoot, I run another dry patch and hit the range.

None of the above. Clean it at the range and then put another 10 rounds through it before you pack-up. That way next time you shoot you'll do so starting and ending with a fouled bore. Consistency.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
None of the above. Clean it at the range and then put another 10 rounds through it before you pack-up. That way next time you shoot you'll do so starting and ending with a fouled bore. Consistency.

I think the "oil can ruin a gun" thing came from the days when WD40 became popular. A lot of guys would spray the stuff all over everything and into the barrel and put her away. IT RUINED A LOT OF GOOD STOCKS. In general, too much oil collects dust and dirt. If I shoot a cleaned gun, I watch the first few shots, just to "test" the arguments pro or con. My results are Top secret.

The reason I've heard (too much) oil can affect a bore is because oil is not compressable. The bullet does not just "push" all the oil out as it travels down the bore. It rides over those incompressable droplets. I imagine the gilding metal of the bullet indents first, but perhaps "too much" oil also indents spots in the bore as well (?). It's always a good idea to dry patch a bore that has oil in it before shooting it again. As well, a puff of smoke from oil in the bore can give your position away (this being "Sniper's Hide" after all).