• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning rod and bore guide

Metal Gear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
Ohio
I know this has been asked before, so please bare with me. I am in the market for a decent cleaning rod and bore guide for my Savage 10fcp-k 308 with 24" barrel. I am not looking to break the bank on this but don't want junk either. If anyone can lead me in the right direction with some advice on which product to order I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to start cleaning the bore on my precision rifles properly.

I've been using a Possum Hollow bore guide and Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod for ~3 years now with no issues. Affordable and great quality. The Bore Guide is literally a nylon tube, can't get more simple than that.

Pretty much any bore guides will do.. I've been using my cheap 20$ bore guide for awhile and never had any issues... As far as cleaning rods.. I use a dewy rod.. Nylon coated.. Tipton as mentioned above works well too

I recently just purchased this exact same combo and it works great. I've never used the delrin type bore guides before, but am definitely pleased with the Possum Hollow guide. I've used Dewey coated rods in the past, but I love my new 44" Tipton carbon fiber rod. It has alot less flex than my Dewey coated rods. This is especially noticeable with the longer rods (+40"). I also like not worrying about a plastic coating degrading over time from chemicals or metal/carbon particles. I never had a single problem with my Deweys, but it that was always in the back of my mind.

I've been using a Possum Hollow bore guide and Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod for ~3 years now with no issues. Affordable and great quality. The Bore Guide is literally a nylon tube, can't get more simple than that.

Lucas bore guide... Spend a few extra bucks and save your barrel. I have 3 now, and they are fantastic. I also use Tiptons single piece carbon fiber rods.

I second the Lucas, if you are willing to pony up. For rifles that I don't consider the "lucas worthy", I'll pick up one of the white tubes at Brownells/Sinclair.

As far as rods go...Dewey and BoreTech pretty much own the market of rods. There are plenty of niche rods out there, but I'm not qualified to detail them.

Most people's deciding factors on Dewey vs BoreTech would be:
Handle Style Preference
Female or Male end
Opinion on which rod coating is better

Dewey rods and Sinclair bore guides here for all my actions and calibers.

I like the Lucas the best! But any bore/rod guide is better than nothing.

I prefer the Dewey rods and Boretech. Never had a Tipton. Again a good one piece cleaning rod with a free rotating handle (good bearings) and a straight rod are the important things. Bend the rod, wreck the bearings in the handle etc...replace the rod. Rods are cheap in the long run compared to having $3k-$10k into a rifle.

Spend a few extra bucks and buy decent stuff. Don't skimp. You get what you pay for.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Any quality coated ONE PIECE cleaning rod will work fine. Stay away from the multiple piece cleaning rods as they have the potential to severely damage your barrel if they break while cleaning. Be sure to use a good jag at the end of your cleaning rod as well. I prefer the female jags that thread directly to the rod. I have purchased most of my cleaning supplies from Sinclair in the past but most places carry good quality stuff. Best of luck.

All of the online cleaning supply outfits have good rods and bore guides, Bore Tech, KG, Brownells, Midway list goes on forever. You can get cleaning solvents, patches, brushes, mats everything in a one stop shop. Everyone above has stated to get a one piece rod and good bore guide, that should fix you up.

I use the Tipton guide set (several guide tips with internal diameters to match the rods, which should be properly sized to match bore diameter. This matching reduces rod motion side-to-side which is a factor regarding bore wear due to cleaning.

I use Tipton one piece carbon fiber rods. I replaced my metal rods with carbon after determining that every single one of them had acquired curves/bends, again a factor in bore wear due to cleaning. Yes, they're pricey; but replacement barrels are moreso. I can find most of what I need from Amazon.

Greg

I been using the Possum Hollow bore guide and Dewey coated rod for about 5 years now without any problem. But as noted the longer Dewey rods do have a lot of flex but that hasn't been an issue in my case.

It has always puzzled me the bravado associated with NOT cleaning. Thousands upon thousands invested and "I never clean until accuracy suffers" Blows my mind! Great thread, imo

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses and advice. I have decided on purchasing the Tipton Deluxe Carbon Fiber 1 Piece Cleaning rod in a 44" length. As far as the bore guide, I think I may go with this one:

Pro-Shot The Stopper Adjustable Bore Guide 22 Centerfire to 30 Cal

Anyone have any experience with this particular kind? I am leaning towards it over the Possum Hollow because some reviews stated the O rings need replaced after a few uses, and if the 0 rings on the guide are not oiled well it can be very difficult to remove after cleaning.

I have one it is ok, be careful when cramming it in the chamber and be sure to keep patches to bore sized. It will get stuck and you will pull the end off. Also it is best used with actions without bolt release in action it has a tendency to pull the end off.

My apologies if this is hijacking Metal Gear's thread.

I've seen lots of comments on maker, coating, bore guide, etc... But nobody has mentioned sizing.
So with his 24" .308 barrel, what are thoughts on the ideal rod length and diameter?

I'm assuming that if it were a Tipton dedicated to .308 or larger, the 27 to 45 Caliber rod with a diameter of .250" is best. Assuming thicker rod equals less flex, and less chance of contact with the bore. Or would the 22 to 26 Caliber with .208 diameter be better? More gap between rod and bore?
Thoughts and experience?

I always advocate a .22 cal rod. They have most of the stiffness of a cal specific rod, will fit in any of your barrels, and for larger cals, it will minimize contact with the bore.

On guides, I made a bushing for mine thats a nice fit to the rod itself so the cleaning rod doesn't have a lot of play to get out of alignment with the bore and introduce the likelihood of more contact.