• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Rod Selection

chama

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2005
Kansa
Hello, should I get a 20 cal or a 17 cal cleaning rod for my 22 rimfire rifles. Help me decide. Thanks for any help.

depends on the bore guide your using
some guides state what rod they are made for

I use a Dewey coated .20 cal for my Vudoo. My .17 cal carbon rods are just too flimsy. Hard to go wrong with Dewey rods, I've been using them for years.

Best by considerable margin and also most expensive are Stiller/Holeshot Arms Melonited spring steel rods.

I use a .20 cal Dewey coated rod for all of my 22's, it works well with both my Vudoo and Anschutz bore guides.

A .17 cal rod is to flimsy, it'll rub against the inside of the barrel--at least mine does. I don't like using it in my .17 cal rifle, so don't do it often, Then you'll have to get an adaptor so you can put a .22 cal jag on a .17 cal rod.

A .22 cal rod is good, but a .20 is just a tad smaller in diameter but probably just as stout so less risk of rubbing inside the bore.

I have a Tipton carbon 17cal rod I use for 22lr and 17hmr, I have never felt that it was flimsy at all, but I likely would have gone for the 20cal rod had I not already owned a 17hmr.

I use the 17cal jag for both 22lr and 17hmr and use a 20cal brush for the 22.
You can get a 22cal brush with the smaller 5-40 thread, but thus far I have got by with the 20cal.

Reactions: garandman
Tried an Ivy .17 and it flexes pretty easy. Got another Ivy in .20 and never looked back

I have a Tipton carbon 17cal rod I use for 22lr and 17hmr, I have never felt that it was flimsy at all, but I likely would have gone for the 20cal rod had I not already owned a 17hmr.

I use the 17cal jag for both 22lr and 17hmr and use a 20cal brush for the 22.
You can get a 22cal brush with the smaller 5-40 thread, but thus far I have got by with the 20cal.

I'm also a Tipton fan, have several of them, supporting 6.5mm thru .50 cal. I like that they're carbon fiber. Info at https://www.btibrands.com/product/deluxe-1-piece-carbon-fiber-cleaning-rod/

FYI. To flush out all the "rod" pieces I needed for stepping into .22 RF (CZ 457), I contacted Dewey (my go-to source for bits and pieces beyond the rod itself (which, as noted, is Tipton). After noting in advance that "Yes, I know I need a .20 caliber rod and 17A adapter", they advised, "...(use) a .20 caliber pointed jag (rather than my normal Parker Hale style) with a .22 size patch. The .22 mop should be fine in that barrel."

This is a copy/paste from their site. Agree, can't find any specifics. Since you have to contact them to place the order, perfect time to ask. Another option is Pro-Shot. Very similar if not the same rod. Handle is different, but at the same time it's the same

"Here at Ivy, you will find a good selection
of rods, made from straight, hardened stainless steel
custom-made to fit your needs"

Reactions: garandman
I have moved to carbon fiber cleaning rods, since I think they are much less likely to damage the bore, and are quite stiff.

Most of the local .22 LR benchrest shooters use Ivy rods. However, the most important cleaning tool is a properly fitted rod guide. Couple your rod guide with a quality rod and all is well. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand of cleaning rod.

I use a patch worm on my .22’s. It’s basically a weed eater string with a little cylinder on the end to keep patches tight against the bore. I’ve never had the need to use a brush on a .22LR bore..

I use a patch worm on my .22’s. It’s basically a weed eater string with a little cylinder on the end to keep patches tight against the bore. I’ve never had the need to use a brush on a .22LR bore..

I use a piece of 50# monofilament fishing line to pull patches through my barrels, the only thing I use a rod for is a brush.