• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning rod

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I have a GAP rifle in .338 LM coming hopefully by the end of this year. While I am waiting for it to be built I am trying to get supplies together. I am pretty well set for reloading once my latest order ships. I don't have anything yet for cleaning other than patches and solvent. I want a solid once piece rod like a Dewey rod. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get one and what type of jags/brushes to get. I use the Parker Hale style jags with my other rifles and would like to stay with the same style jag.

Re: Cleaning rod

Get a Dewey. Midwayusa sells them along with any other cleaning supplies you might need.

Tipton Carbon fiber rod. Doesn't have any coating to peel off in your barrel like the Dewey. Its strong as all hell too.

I have a Dewey .22 rod for my short barreled .223 cal guns, and a long Hoppies Elite for my .308 and a Tipton carbon fiber rod in .22 for my long barreled .22's. the short rod i bought before i got any longer barreled weapons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tipton Carbon fiber rod. Doesn't have any coating to peel off in your barrel like the Dewey. Its strong as all hell too. </div></div>

My vote aswell...

Dewey rods:
Been using a couple for at least 15 years now. Had to replace the handles on both, as the bearings finally gave out. Very simple to do and Dewey had replacement parts and instructions on how to replace. The coating has not turned loose on them either.
Bore Tech:
Got a couple with a BR rifle 6 years ago. The handles are a little larger that Dewey and can be a problem with some stocks. Also, the coating has chipped off on both of them in the same spot. I don't know if they will take care of that, as I just put them back and no longer use.
Tipton:
Love the carbon fiber part, but the handles are just too damn big. They get in the way of most stocks and they make the rods so heavy on one end that you can't lay them down without having them fall off your bench. I did have a 17 caliber rod break where the threaded piece is glued on the end. It was replaced by Tipton, no questions asked.
So, I guess I am saying buy Dewey rods. They have given me the best service.
Lucas Guide Rods:
Can't say anything bad here. They are the cat's ass!

I have used Dewey since 96, I bought 2 and then the next year a guy gave me 4 new ones. I had 1 from 96 that the bearings were getting bad and i gave it to a friend and he repaired it.I tried the tipton and like shoot4fun said the handles are to big for the stocks i have, lucas guide for sure.

Dewey. After years of dickin' with standard rods, I bought one on a whim back in like 1998. Haven't looked back since and have 3 more for various rifles.

Rich

I have a Dewey for 308 and 223, and I bought a Tipton from my 260, get a Tipton, no coating to strip off inside your bore, the carbon fiber is stronger and the ball bearings in the handle make using one smoother than a Dewey.

Ok so Dewey seems to be the top choice. I was looking on their sight today and assume I need the .35 and up rod. I am going to try to call G.A. Precision to see if they can give me an idea as to what the total length of the rifle will be so I know how long to order the rod. The barrel is a 28" Bartlein with a Badger FTE break on a Templar action. It will be mounted in a Manners T4-A stock.

The cheek piece on the T4A is easily removed. I have one on my 308 which is also running a templar action. You wont need a rod to cover the entire legnth of the rifle, just from the rear of the action to the end of the break plus a few inches.

Thats how i sized up my T4A with Templar and it worked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP rifle in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">.338 LM</span></span> coming....</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...assume I need the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">.35 and up</span></span> rod.</div></div>
Unless you know something I don't (very possible), you may want to reconsider, and look at the ".27 and up" rod (stainless and brass rods are both 0.250" diameter, no reference as to actual diameter of the coated rods, or the .35 & up rods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott E White</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP rifle in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">.338 LM</span></span> coming....</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...assume I need the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">.35 and up</span></span> rod.</div></div>
Unless you know something I don't (very possible), you may want to reconsider, and look at the ".27 and up" rod (stainless and brass rods are both 0.250" diameter, no reference as to actual diameter of the coated rods, or the .35 & up rods. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up. I will be the first to admit I don't know much. I don't know what I was thinking when I looked at the .35 and up rod.

One that is longer than the barrel
smile.gif

Dewey is a good rod but i perfer Boretech.Sinclair is a good place for both brands.

I like my Tipton CF rod, made for the 6.5 or 264 and its 41 inches long, gives me plenty on my 24" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tipton Carbon fiber rod. Doesn't have any coating to peel off in your barrel like the Dewey. Its strong as all hell too. </div></div>

+1,i use tipton carbon fiber.It works nicely....

I have had a deweys coated rod for 8 years no coating has ever come off?? Did not know there was a issue with it.

Is there a guide for the ar guns?? I have them for the bolt guns but have not seen one for the ar style. Also what are others using to hold the gun while cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a deweys coated rod for 8 years no coating has ever come off?? Did not know there was a issue with it.

Is there a guide for the ar guns?? I have them for the bolt guns but have not seen one for the ar style. Also what are others using to hold the gun while cleaning. </div></div>

Third item on the list is a breech guide.

Dewey's are good to go but would also consider a Boretech.

Wow I did'nt realize there were so many choices, I also neede advice on which rod to get looks like Dewey got the most votes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrpilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Deweys. Used them for years. </div></div>
+1 for Dewey got minne from brownells for my TRG 22.

+1 for Tipton. No chance of the plastic peeling off as it often does on the Deweys after a year or so and marking your barrel: it's pure carbon fiber. Even if it breaks it will not damage anything.

I had a Dewey, and I hated that thing. I seem to be the oddball here as I see it getting recommended. Anyway, with mine the coating started peeling off about the 2nd time I used it. It quickly had little to no coating on it in most spots. Next thing I knew the rod was bent. Overall, I didn't like anything about it. The handle was fine, but nothing special. Just nothing great about this rod that I saw and I saw several things I didn't like.

I replaced it with a Tipton and the Tipton is one of the best gun accessories I've ever bought. The Tipton doesn't havea coating that peels off as mentioned already, and I don't think it's physically possible to bend it as it's carbon fiber instead of metal. If you bent it it just snaps right back in place. Seems super strong. It's just a great cleaning rod. I really lik the handle too, fits my hand way better than the Dewey one. I can't recommend this thing enough. If I ever had to get another rod it would be a Tipton for sure.

I have 4 dewey rods. (2) in .223 - got one for free with a Colt 6724 I bought off a buddy - (1) in .17 and (1) in .308 I cant even tell you how long I've had them, it has to be over 14 years now. With moderate use, they still look brand new and function flawlessly. I wouldn't run anything else down the bore of my rifles. Top Quality!

I've tried Tipton, Dewey, and Boretech. I like the Tipon the best by far. Just make sure to get one long enough to go through as much receiver and barrel that you have, plus at least a couple extra inches so the tip that the jag screws into is exposed enoguh to easily remove the jag/borebrush.

All these rod suggestions are good, my suggestion would be to get two. I really enjoy having two so that I can keep the brush on one, and jag on the other. I also keep two for pistol cleaning, it really seems to speed my process.