• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cleaning rods

Re: cleaning rods

I use a carbon fiber rod made by tipton. They are strong and not supposed to hold dirt. I ahve had it for 4 years and love it 1 piece design.

montana extreme or bore stix , both top notch, get em plenty long

I picked up a Dewey because I had a gift card. But given the option I would have gone with Tipton's Carbon Fiber Rods. Either way they both work great.

I have two Tipton carbon fiber rods for 5 years now and love them. Just make sure you use a bore guide.

I do have two Dewey's and a Tipton, get a Tipton, I really like the roller bearings in the handle, and the carbon fiber shaft has no coating to be left in the bore

The CF rods are known for dropping the thread sections or not being lined up. It's not like only one or two have had the issue either.

Stainless does no harm. Coated if you must but it picks up abrasives.

Use a bore guide!

Why isn't brass or aluminum or some other softish metal used for these? Brass or copper coated would seem to be ideal, no? I would still use a bore guide, cause when I finally clean the bore, I want to take the copper out, not put more in there..

Dewey coated with a good bore guide. I have been told that the softer metals like brass and aluminum hold some grit and act as more of an abrasive than the dewey steel rods with the black plastic coating. Better bore protection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bore Tech coated. </div></div>

+1, Thier bore guides are great also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dewey coated with a good bore guide. I have been told that the softer metals like brass and aluminum hold some grit and act as more of an abrasive than the dewey steel rods with the black plastic coating. Better bore protection. </div></div>
Ah, good to know.

Well, coated still embed just like the other soft ones. IF you wipe it a lot and don't drop it then it may not matter.
Boresnakes are shit, pushing an abrasive rope through the barrel is not a good idea. If anyone wants to know about cleaning have a look at what the accuracy guys do and step backk from that point to find your happy medium. For many that happy medium is more about feeling they are doing something instead of actually doing it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dewey coated with a good bore guide. I have been told that the softer metals like brass and aluminum hold some grit and act as more of an abrasive than the dewey steel rods with the black plastic coating. Better bore protection. </div></div>

How would brass and aluminium hold grit and plastic not? That said I do use a Dewey coated rod for my .22 and think it's a great rod but I also wipe the rod after each pass just in case. Going to try one of the Tipton carbon rods next for the new .308

In actual fact, the downside to brass and aluminum is oxidation which is harder than the steel in your barrel. It has nothing to do with holding grit.

IMHO On cleaning unless you are going for super accuracy then dont worry about what kind of rod to use or bore snake. Just clean the rifle when needed and be sure to get all the dirt and crude out. I have used a bore snake for years and brass cleaning rods and steel ones just be careful not to ram it down the inside of the barrel dragging against the riflings. I have yet to miss a shot yet on any hunts i have been on... and my 10fp still groups better than i can shot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In actual fact, the downside to brass and aluminum is oxidation which is harder than the steel in your barrel. It has nothing to do with holding grit.</div></div>

Interesting...

Maybe I'm missing the point but if you're cleaning properly using a bore guide, the rod should not contact the barrel anyway.

Yes, you are missing something. The Rod will still contact. Bore guides protect the throat.

If you have an accurate barrel clean it with good equipment.

Anyone here think Carbon is harder than oxidation?
It is
wink.gif
Glass is also reasonably abrasive don't you think?
All of them are used for abrasives so either way you don't want an embedding rod do you?
When you clean, clean properly.
Bore Snakes have a place and it's not for regular cleaning.

i use Dewey and i make my own bore guides,never had any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Anyone here think Carbon is harder than oxidation?
It is
wink.gif
</div></div>

Aluminum Oxide (what forms on the outside of an aluminum cleaning rod) is actually considerably harder/more abrasive than carbon fouling. Cannot tell you for sure what the results of copper oxide are for hardness. After-all, it is the copper oxidizing in the brass.

But that doesn't seem to really matter to your ultimate point- use the correct, and best tools for the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for tipton... </div></div>
+2 for tipton and a Lucas bore guide.